ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Buying a ES 350 in two weeks. What should I be paying for one?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-16, 07:17 PM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here here to new cars

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The decision to buy used vs new has nothing to do with the desire to negotiate as good a deal as is possible on whatever you buy, a new one or a used one.

I understand the savings, but I don't want a used car I want a new car.
Old 05-31-16, 07:21 PM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Very practical but my concern with used is the possibility of spending more on repairs later trying to save. If I knew more about what to look for then maybe I wouldn't be so uncomfortable purchasing used

Originally Posted by krnboy817
i always think when buying a lux 4 door sedan its best to purchase pre owned due to the deep depreciation in the vehicles. plus longer warranty doesnt hurt either. if you like the more sedated look of '13 than the new '16... you can pick up a CPO for $29k @ 2.3% like i have with 23k miles as lease return.

2013 ES 350 all of the options except for:
- pano roof
- lane keep assist
- heated steering wheel
- ML sound system
- adaptive cruise control

(which are all the options that i can careless for or did not want when tried out on a '16)

people try so hard to save $1 - $2k on the price upfront but yet dont consider the $10 - $20k depreciation with paying interest on the depreciation on the back end as soon as they drive out from the dealership. guess to some only thing that matters is what they see...

IMHO the '13 - '15 have more matured look and drive exactly the same as the '16 do but i saved over $20k before interest with longer warranty if you compared it to a equally optioned '16. i know many people need to have the latest and the greatest but if youre trying and need to save $1 - $2 off MSRP... youre looking at a wrong car.
Old 06-01-16, 06:09 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

i always think when buying a lux 4 door sedan its best to purchase pre owned due to the deep depreciation in the vehicles. plus longer warranty doesnt hurt either. if you like the more sedated look of '13 than the new '16... you can pick up a CPO for $29k @ 2.3% like i have with 23k miles as lease return.

2013 ES 350 all of the options except for:
- pano roof
- lane keep assist
- heated steering wheel
- ML sound system
- adaptive cruise control

(which are all the options that i can careless for or did not want when tried out on a '16)

people try so hard to save $1 - $2k on the price upfront but yet dont consider the $10 - $20k depreciation with paying interest on the depreciation on the back end as soon as they drive out from the dealership. guess to some only thing that matters is what they see...

IMHO the '13 - '15 have more matured look and drive exactly the same as the '16 do but i saved over $20k before interest with longer warranty if you compared it to a equally optioned '16. i know many people need to have the latest and the greatest but if youre trying and need to save $1 - $2 off MSRP... youre looking at a wrong car.
On the other hand, there is some talk on various threads that there have been some minor enhancements to the ES350 and 300h for the 2016 model, so this could make it worth getting new vs CPO. I haven't fully decided whether I'm going with an ES, but if I do, the enhancements discussed with the 2016 may make me go new….whereas usually I favor CPO or non certified used cars.
Old 06-02-16, 05:14 PM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Thanks for the insight, test drove it today. Will have to get used to FwD again, it's been awhile so felt different., been in a RWD recently. Very comfortable ride, bigger than what I've been used to, very nice and soft ride. Also test drove the IS200t definitely different class and I'm getting middle aged so I guess ES is more age appropriate as the Salesperson said lol, made me feel old. That little clock on the mid console cracks me up tho

QUOTE=bostonsnow;9505407]On the other hand, there is some talk on various threads that there have been some minor enhancements to the ES350 and 300h for the 2016 model, so this could make it worth getting new vs CPO. I haven't fully decided whether I'm going with an ES, but if I do, the enhancements discussed with the 2016 may make me go new….whereas usually I favor CPO or non certified used cars.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-02-16, 07:50 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Originally Posted by prosgal73
Thanks for the insight, test drove it today. Will have to get used to FwD again, it's been awhile so felt different., been in a RWD recently. Very comfortable ride, bigger than what I've been used to, very nice and soft ride. Also test drove the IS200t definitely different class and I'm getting middle aged so I guess ES is more age appropriate as the Salesperson said lol, made me feel old. That little clock on the mid console cracks me up tho

QUOTE=bostonsnow;9505407]On the other hand, there is some talk on various threads that there have been some minor enhancements to the ES350 and 300h for the 2016 model, so this could make it worth getting new vs CPO. I haven't fully decided whether I'm going with an ES, but if I do, the enhancements discussed with the 2016 may make me go new….whereas usually I favor CPO or non certified used cars.
[/QUOTE]

which dealership in So Cal? I have looked at Longo Lexus and Lexus of Glendale. Thinking of timing things so as to buy a 2016 model this summer right before the 2017 models come out, to try to get maximum discount.
Old 06-02-16, 08:07 PM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Forgot about Longo thanks, seems like Glendale doesn't have the specs on the cars I'm looking for. I'm assuming you get a better discount if the car is on the lot versus trying to get them to get it from another dealership right?

which dealership in So Cal? I have looked at Longo Lexus and Lexus of Glendale. Thinking of timing things so as to buy a 2016 model this summer right before the 2017 models come out, to try to get maximum discount.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-02-16, 08:11 PM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

I feel like it's almost impossible to find one without the rear spoiler...does everyone like that look? Not sure if it looks better with or without?

Last edited by prosgal73; 06-02-16 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-02-16, 10:36 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 721 Likes on 528 Posts

I feel like it's almost impossible to find one without the rear spoiler...does everyone like that look? Not sure if it looks better with or without?
I love it, but it is definitely a personal preference. Interesting that all 300h models come with it. Makes me wonder if it really helps manage the air better to maximize the gas mileage.
Old 06-03-16, 04:45 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 671 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Ward6096
I love it, but it is definitely a personal preference. Interesting that all 300h models come with it. Makes me wonder if it really helps manage the air better to maximize the gas mileage.
Only helps when travelling above 180mph!
Old 06-03-16, 11:27 AM
2gns4me
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have the info in front of me but I got a fully loaded one for 41664 (with winter mats) that's including 3k cash back. I want to say stick was around 49500.

I do want the wing I think it looks good on the car.
Old 06-03-16, 04:28 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2gns4me
I don't have the info in front of me but I got a fully loaded one for 41664 (with winter mats) that's including 3k cash back. I want to say stick was around 49500.

I do want the wing I think it looks good on the car.
wow - thats a great deal. well done. thats about 20% off from MSRP!
Old 06-03-16, 04:31 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Forgot about Longo thanks, seems like Glendale doesn't have the specs on the cars I'm looking for. I'm assuming you get a better discount if the car is on the lot versus trying to get them to get it from another dealership right?

which dealership in So Cal? I have looked at Longo Lexus and Lexus of Glendale. Thinking of timing things so as to buy a 2016 model this summer right before the 2017 models come out, to try to get maximum discount.
[/QUOTE]

While not necessarily true 100% of the time, but in general your best deal possibility is when they have the car you want on the lot. having to get the car that you want by swapping a car with another dealer takes effort on their part.

I noted that Longo does indeed have more inventory than Glendale, at least quantity-wise. But even with Longo, they seem to have their favorite configurations of cars so may or may not have what you want. Take a look on their search inventory of their website. They claim to be the largest volume dealer on the west coast - not sure if that is totally true or not.
Old 06-03-16, 07:01 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

if you want a new car and that's where your value lies... then is it wrong to pay the asking price on the website?
You pay the asking price? I bet your dealer loves you.
Old 06-03-16, 07:07 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 721 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Only helps when travelling above 180mph!
I like it! But I think it would have to be in the hold of a cargo plane to reach those speeds.
Old 06-04-16, 07:21 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chocolate
You pay the asking price? I bet your dealer loves you.
depends on what exactly this "asking price " is that you get by email. Is it really a good offer? Is it an "asking price" offered from the dealer knowing that you are shopping around via email? Do they reasonably include current incentives and a reasonable discount?

Asking whether to pay "asking price" is worth it is a tough question to answer. Depends on that price. THere are enough sources (including these forums) to figure out what price current buyers are paying for the same car. One should do ones research on this. Then, if a dealer's offer is reasonably close to your research and you don't want to sweat with haggling over a small further difference - then go for it! If the asking price is thousands away from your research, then its not a good deal.

If one really wants to do more work to grind out $100 or $200 further off - then one can do that negotiation work, but probably involves more time and work.

Quick Reply: Buying a ES 350 in two weeks. What should I be paying for one?