ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Buying a ES 350 in two weeks. What should I be paying for one?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-16, 10:57 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 658 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
They have 15k mile leases. That really only affects the residual value.
That's the main issue I have with leasing; the mileage restrictions. When I bought my ES I was driving about 14k miles/yr. My job location changed before the end of the first year and I now drive 1k miles/yr, if lucky. I usually replace my vehicles every 4 to 5 years. If I have less than 20k miles after 5 years, I'll be keeping it a lot longer. My commute could have just as easily changed in the other direction, which would get ugly with the mileage penalties. Since you never know what life may throw at you, leasing can be a crapshoot.

I've learned a lot about the pros and cons of leasing on these forums, but I'm no expert. The majority of pros seem to be for people that write their vehicle off for business purposes. The other big one is for people that want more car than they could normally afford. Neither appeals to me, so I'll continue to purchase.
Old 06-07-16, 12:26 PM
peteypoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

... The residual value and money factor is set by Lexus Financial, so those are known values that your dealer should not be inflating.
As I understand it, the dealer can't change the residual, but is allowed to increase the MF that is set by Lexus Financial by as much as .001. And if you apply MSDs to the deal, you can get it as low as .00005.
Old 06-07-16, 12:38 PM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You think I do so I think purchasing is still best for me too. I think these leasing deals lure people in but you can end up paying more in the end.

Originally Posted by Mike728
That's the main issue I have with leasing; the mileage restrictions. When I bought my ES I was driving about 14k miles/yr. My job location changed before the end of the first year and I now drive 1k miles/yr, if lucky. I usually replace my vehicles every 4 to 5 years. If I have less than 20k miles after 5 years, I'll be keeping it a lot longer. My commute could have just as easily changed in the other direction, which would get ugly with the mileage penalties. Since you never know what life may throw at you, leasing can be a crapshoot.

I've learned a lot about the pros and cons of leasing on these forums, but I'm no expert. The majority of pros seem to be for people that write their vehicle off for business purposes. The other big one is for people that want more car than they could normally afford. Neither appeals to me, so I'll continue to purchase.
Old 06-09-16, 05:25 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by prosgal73
NIce! Have you been happy with your purchase? Still on the fence. Looking for a reliable car but been used to RWD for awhile so will need to adjust to FWD again so might go on another test drive to be sure. Purchases just seem like such a long term commitment but maybe I shouldn't think of it that way. I know these cars hold value and I could always trade down the line. I've just never been comfortable leasing so always purchase...
Have you test driven the GS? Great driving RWD car! but firmer ride, and a bit more expensive...
Old 06-09-16, 05:50 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 211 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by prosgal73
You think I do so I think purchasing is still best for me too. I think these leasing deals lure people in but you can end up paying more in the end.
Yes. As long as you're keeping cars for 5-10 years, buying is best. For those of us who are constantly going after the new model, leasing is a better idea.

YMMV
Old 06-09-16, 07:53 PM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Oh yes! Very nice but out of my budget. Trying to stay reasonable but the drive is much nicer but I won't be breaking any speed limits so I think the ES is probably ok but the ride is definitely not as fun. That's why I was considering a 200t for awhile but everyone seems to be encouraging me to pick the ES over the IS200t

Originally Posted by bostonsnow
Have you test driven the GS? Great driving RWD car! but firmer ride, and a bit more expensive...
Old 06-09-16, 07:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

One of the nice things a of leasing the ES is they hold value well and the residuals aren't crazy high. So at the end you can trade out instead of turn it in, which negates the issue of going over the mileage. When I traded my 2010 ES In on my GS, I was 6 months early and over miles and I pocketed $1,500. Now, when I traded my 13 GS in I was way upside down, but that model doesn't hold value as well and the residuals are artificially inflated which makes trading harder.
Old 06-12-16, 01:39 PM
PhillyPhan
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got offered an out the door price of $43,677. MSRP is $44,728 and the dropped the price of the vehicle down to $39,349 and with taxes and fees the out the door was $43,677. The car doesn't have all the options I think my wife may want and we still want to test drive the ES300h before deciding on which model.
Old 06-12-16, 04:36 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 211 Likes on 145 Posts

Is that leasing or buying?
Old 06-12-16, 04:44 PM
PhillyPhan
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is that leasing or buying?
That's buying.
Old 06-12-16, 07:14 PM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

What does everyone think of this offer? I'll trying to see if I should start putting feelers out now or wait til the end of month for a better deal? Or is that a myth, but I've usually waited. My only concern is there's only a couple cars in my area with the specs I want to I wouldn't want to wait and then those options are gone, any thoughts? Appreciate the help everyone. You guys are great!

Originally Posted by PhillyPhan
I just got offered an out the door price of $43,677. MSRP is $44,728 and the dropped the price of the vehicle down to $39,349 and with taxes and fees the out the door was $43,677. The car doesn't have all the options I think my wife may want and we still want to test drive the ES300h before deciding on which model.
Old 06-12-16, 08:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

What's more important to you, getting the car you want or the best deal possible? That will dictate whether you want to wait or not.
Old 06-12-16, 08:47 PM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Tough one, so I'm actually considering one without a spoiler but it seems all of them have spoilers, but then again if the spoiler is the popular maybe those 2 without will still be lying around I guess I can't go wrong it's only a spoiler. Honestly though I'm not the best negotiator so I need all the help I can get

Originally Posted by SW15LS
What's more important to you, getting the car you want or the best deal possible? That will dictate whether you want to wait or not.
Old 06-12-16, 09:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The spoiler is easily added afterwards, and that's not likely to be a major decision point for most buyers. The ES is a sort of car that people buy off he lot, so I wouldn't count of any of them hanging around because of a specific set of options.
Old 06-21-16, 06:09 AM
Tacopaco
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non-nav

Originally Posted by Mike728
If you're looking for an ES without nav, it will probably be considerably cheaper than $46k MSRP. Non nav's are usually only made available on the base model.

On a 2016, I would expect to pay between 7 to 10% below MSRP, depending on location and product availability. Check Truecar.com for prices paid in your area.

Does this mean they have the cheesy fake leather? In my next car, I don't want the Nav system but I want leather.

Quick Reply: Buying a ES 350 in two weeks. What should I be paying for one?