ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-16, 01:36 AM
Hotrod70
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Windshield Replacement

Replacing windshield on my 2013 ES 350. How can I tell if the car has dual pane glass? I read on this forum that some did come with it but I can no longer find the posts with that information. If mine was, I need to inform insurance company of it so the replacement will be equivalent

Thanks
Old 03-08-16, 05:06 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 658 Likes on 492 Posts

Does it have "Lamisafe" written on the glass? If so, it's dual pane. See THIS
Old 03-08-16, 06:37 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

While I know that, on the side windows, some ES vehicles have single-paned glass and others have double-paned glass, I thought that all generation 6 ES vehicles had the double-paned glass on the windshields.

I have seen a couple of threads here about replacement windshields for the ES, and some who have gotten windshields replaced with other than OEM glass have reported issues with things like the rain-sensing wipers.
Old 03-08-16, 08:32 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
While I know that, on the side windows, some ES vehicles have single-paned glass and others have double-paned glass, I thought that all generation 6 ES vehicles had the double-paned glass on the windshields.

I have seen a couple of threads here about replacement windshields for the ES, and some who have gotten windshields replaced with other than OEM glass have reported issues with things like the rain-sensing wipers.
I've had mine replaced twice(once due to it becoming cracked while at the dealer for service, once due to rock damage) with oem glass, and there hasn't ever been a question about glass thickness. Both replacements had the lamisafe label. Oem glass costs around 1500 bucks tho, and most insurance will only cover a portion of it. Aftermarket replacements come in around 500 usually. The guy at safelite told me that aftermarket and oem all come from the same factories, the only difference being the label, but I don't know about that.
Old 03-08-16, 09:24 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by mspearl95
I've had mine replaced twice(once due to it becoming cracked while at the dealer for service, once due to rock damage) with oem glass, and there hasn't ever been a question about glass thickness. Both replacements had the lamisafe label. Oem glass costs around 1500 bucks tho, and most insurance will only cover a portion of it. Aftermarket replacements come in around 500 usually. The guy at safelite told me that aftermarket and oem all come from the same factories, the only difference being the label, but I don't know about that.
Yeah, I don't know about that either. Luckily I've only had a couple of replacements in recent years and they have both been on leased cars so I was not inclined to pay for Lexus logo glass, The first replacement was a Pilkington (?) glass which I was told was a "premium" oem glass and I found it to be of a much lighter tint and actually nosier. The rain sensing wipers worked but I thought with less sensitivity . And I have noticed since that some new cars even come with Pilkington glass. The second was basically a no-name brand and the lease return was just a couple of days later so I only noticed the lighter tint - no time for anything else.

The insurance companies used to be more understanding on a replacement during the first year or so but now all have pretty much banded together with a real hard line on true factory glass. And they use the term "oem" pretty loosely, to mean only that the replacement meets "oem specifications" not that it was ever used by the manufacturer.

Limited research seems to put Safelite glass at the very lowest end of the spectrum and that is was the insurance companies seem to push the most.

Dave Mac
Old 03-08-16, 01:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Just FYI, All Windshields are laminated, dual paned glass on any car.
Old 03-08-16, 02:48 PM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

The FRONT windshield of all cars is double-paned. In that there are two sheets of glass with a layer of plastic (or Saran Wrap or whatever material!) sandwiched in between. Otherwise, you can just pay for "better quality" glass, but I'd personally just go with standard OEM quality.

What you may have heard, however, is on the new ES models with the Ultra Luxury upgrade--such as mine https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ima...es/biggrin.gif the two front passenger side windows are double-paned and help to quiet the cabin. One can tell because the top of the glass has a "V" groove in it. There was a discussion on this some time ago you can search for.
Old 03-08-16, 03:05 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Just FYI, All Windshields are laminated, dual paned glass on any car.
Yes all windshields have been laminated for quite a while but I'm curious - does your LS have lamisafe front or front and back side windows. I believe I noticed that the front side windows on a new Denali were lamisafe as well. The side windows on my ES are temperlite.

Dave Mac
Old 03-08-16, 03:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
Yes all windshields have been laminated for quite a while but I'm curious - does your LS have lamisafe front or front and back side windows. I believe I noticed that the front side windows on a new Denali were lamisafe as well. The side windows on my ES are temperlite.

Dave Mac
Yes, the front side windows on the LS are dual paned lamisafe also. GS has them too depending on the trim, and the ES UL does also. The LS460 L has rear side dual paned lamisafe too.
Old 03-08-16, 05:18 PM
Hotrod70
Rookie

Yes it is Lamisafe. I believe that the insurance company will force an aftermarket brand rather than a Lexus. Would like to find documentation that Lexus Lamisafe is a better quality that aftermarket thus replacement needs to be equal quality
Old 03-08-16, 05:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If you keep on them and insist on an OEM replacement they will eventually cave.
Old 03-11-16, 02:39 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mspearl95
Oem glass costs around 1500 bucks .
You are right on. We are going to have to replace the windshield in my wife's ES 300h and it is $1,450. Comparing to windshields on other vehicles that I have replaced, there are multiple functions that are built into the Lexus windshield other than just your basic laminated glass.
Old 03-11-16, 04:58 PM
Hotrod70
Rookie

Smile

Insurance company will replace with Lexus windshield! I did request it and they agreed without any questions. A very good response form them!
Old 03-11-16, 05:19 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by Hotrod70
Insurance company will replace with Lexus windshield! I did request it and they agreed without any questions. A very good response form them!
Which insurance company was that? Since we are quick to complain publicly when a company tries to go cheap in paying a claim or in denying a claim, I'd like to give a company credit when it does the right thing.
Old 03-12-16, 03:50 AM
Hotrod70
Rookie

I agree! Is is Safeco.

Mobile install is this Thursday

Quick Reply: Windshield Replacement