ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2016 ES Production to Delivery

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-16, 09:27 AM
jboomznh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
That dealer is just not treating you right, actually they are trying to hold you up. Once you cancel the order with the original dealer that car might become available to the second dealer even though they are owned by the same person/company.

I once bought an Infiniti and was finding that each of three dealers had the same car arriving on the same day and all wanted the same price. I finally realized they had a common owner and purchased the car from the dealer that the car was actually going to be receiving the car so I could get it before they added tint, nitrogen and even a pinstripe.

Good luck - is your ordered car something that is going to be hard to find from another dealer.

Dave Mac
I did a search on cars. for what I ordered there is one at a dealership in NJ, the new dealership I am working with has been "trying" to get a swap since Monday.
However the now very good news is the general manager of the original dealer called me about an hour ago, he asked what he needed to do to keep my business. I told him what the deal needed to be (which is nothing extravagant or unrealistic) give me 500.00 additional discount, and drop the money factor to the base .00060 he did not even blink an eye, said ok done and asked would I like to take delivery this Saturday...
So I am very pleased. But wow - I hate playing the who will "break" first game lol. I think putting them on ice and going radio silent as I worked with the other dealership for a couple days really made him nervous of losing the deal...

Last edited by jboomznh; 04-13-16 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-13-16, 09:35 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by jboomznh
I did a search on cars. for what I ordered there is one at a dealership in NJ, the new dealership I am working with has been "trying" to get a swap since Monday.
However the now very good news is the general manager of the original dealer called me about an hour ago, he asked what he needed to do to keep my business. I told what the deal needed to be (which is nothing extravagant or unrealistic) give me 500.00 additional discount, and drop the money factor the the base .00060 he did not even blink an eye, said ok done and asked would I like to take delivery this Saturday...
So I am very pleased. But wow - I hate playing the who will "break" first game lol. I think putting them on ice and going radio silent as I worked with the other dealership for a couple days really made him nervous of losing the deal...
Congratulations! Well played!
Old 04-13-16, 11:31 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

>Congratulations! Well played!

Golf clap...
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
Old 05-05-16, 06:25 PM
StevenTodd
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well I soon will be getting my ES350 after 16 weeks from the date of order. Not very happy with the dealership. No way should this car have taken 16 weeks to get although I was told by the Sales Associate that they did everything to expedite the order but things were out of their control putting the blame for the delay on Lexus. Was just about ready to cancel my order and request a refund of my $500.

Last edited by StevenTodd; 05-11-16 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-06-16, 05:48 AM
jollick
Racer

Originally Posted by StevenTodd
Well I soon will be getting my ES350 after 17 weeks from the date of order. Not very happy with the dealership. No way should this car have taken 17 weeks to get. I think they gave my order a very low priority. Was just about ready to cancel my order and request a refund of my $500. I will know never again to order a car through this dealership.
I had to wait about 16 weeks for my special order in 2013 so the time is not too far off from the time it took mine to be built in Japan and travel here. However if your ES350 was built in KY, you have a legitimate gripe. I cannot imagine what would have caused it to be 17 weeks. That is extremely aggravating! But, soon your wait will be over and you will be enjoying a car that has everything you wanted.
Old 05-06-16, 06:10 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by StevenTodd
No way should this car have taken 17 weeks to get. I think they gave my order a very low priority. Was just about ready to cancel my order and request a refund of my $500. I will know never again to order a car through this dealership.
I think it would be a mistake to think that the factory handles all special orders in the same manner or that building those vehicles is done on a first in, first out basis.

I suspect that that a special order vehicle is built at whatever point the normal production run calls for building vehicles with configurations somewhat similar to those of the special order. I would also guess that building a special order vehicle starts only after there are enough other special order vehicles with similar configurations that need to be built.

With that in mind, you could get lucky and get a special order vehicle in a shorter period of time, but you might not be so lucky, and, if there are not other similar special orders or if the regular production run isn't building similarly configured vehicles, you could end up having to wait longer for delivery of your vehicle.

It may be the case that the dealer wasn't as helpful as you would have liked, but it is also likely that the time that it took to build your car is more the result of circumstances at the factory.
Old 05-06-16, 08:39 AM
StevenTodd
Driver

Prior to ordering the Lexus I had special ordered 5 cars in my lifetime and none have taken over 12 weeks to get. When I ordered the ES350 the sales associate gave me a delivery time of 10 to 12 weeks. I only heard from the sales associate twice. The first time was 2 1/2 months after ordering the car only to be told it just received a dealer allocation. The second time was to inform me that the car should be at the dealership in a couple of days.

Picked up my car today. At least the sales Associate apologized for the car taking 16 weeks and indicated things were out of their control which implied the hang-up was with the factory in Kentucky. At least they threw in some extras which I had not ordered - cargo net, trunk mat, and wheel locks. So I wound up being a very happy customer. Plus they gave me a Lexus umbrella.

Last edited by StevenTodd; 05-07-16 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-11-16, 04:41 AM
Brn2fish
Rookie

I've heard from the salesman about a week ago something that may imply a delay in delivery of my ES. Placed an order on February 16. Order accepted by Lexus but still no production date yet. So the salesman mentioned that production is possibly delayed due to a unique set of options. In my case, it is probably Atomic Silver and panoramic roof. Not sure if I should buy that...
Old 05-11-16, 07:51 AM
StevenTodd
Driver

Originally Posted by Brn2fish
I've heard from the salesman about a week ago something that may imply a delay in delivery of my ES. Placed an order on February 16. Order accepted by Lexus but still no production date yet. So the salesman mentioned that production is possibly delayed due to a unique set of options. In my case, it is probably Atomic Silver and panoramic roof. Not sure if I should buy that...

I feel for you. I placed my order on 13 January and the car did not arrive at the dealership until 6 May -16 weeks from order to delivery. I would love to know how the Lexus plant prioritizes their dealer orders since my car did not even receive a production date until May. My Sales Associate told me when I picked up the car that they did everything to expedite the order but put the reason for the delay on the Lexus plant in Kentucky.
Old 05-17-16, 05:46 PM
r350
Driver School Candidate

I signed a buyer's order on 9th March and was told it would be submitted on March 19th with their monthly orders. The manager I dealt with suggested it would be take "a few months" for the car to arrive. On 28th March he sent me a spec sheet with a temporary VIN.

I contacted him again a couple of weeks later asking why my deposit hadn't been charged and if he had an update. He again said there was no update and that he didn't charge because he trusted that I was a serious buyer.

On April 29th he called with the surprising news that the car had arrived and was ready to be picked up.

I was worried about my order being rejected because the combination of Nightfall Mica and Flaxen/Bamboo is not possible through the Build Your Lexus configuration tool.

Nightfall Mica, Flaxen with Honey Matte Bamboo, PP, Safety System+, BSM, IPA, Navigation Package
Old 05-21-16, 06:01 AM
Brn2fish
Rookie

Finally got an email from a dealer. My car is scheduled for production on June 29 (!!!).
After initial deposit placed on February 16th...
Nice....

Just wondering what me next step should be before delivery? This is my first special order and I am not familiar with the aspects.
Old 05-21-16, 07:19 AM
jollick
Racer

Finally got an email from a dealer. My car is scheduled for production on June 29 (!!!).
After initial deposit placed on February 16th...
Nice....

Just wondering what me next step should be before delivery? This is my first special order and I am not familiar with the aspects.
I would verify the options you want in writing with the dealer and advise them that you do not want any other add-on items, that is if you have not already done this. Other than that all I can say is congratulations!. What model and options did you order?
Old 05-22-16, 06:44 AM
Brn2fish
Rookie

Originally Posted by jollick
I would verify the options you want in writing with the dealer and advise them that you do not want any other add-on items, that is if you have not already done this. Other than that all I can say is congratulations!. What model and options did you order?
I will. I am really worried due the fact that salesman mentioned that he emailed me a few weeks ago about the production date, but he never did. He also told at the beginning that "Company policy on all special orders is that final price will be given when the car is actually built", implying that cost of production may go up and I will have to pay the difference. I already verified with Lexus that they are not planning to change it for 2016 models.

I do not like any of that and leaning toward to request a switching sales consultant. Not sure if it is right move (wife discouraging me). I have never got a purchase order from the dealer.

Something is going on under the scene with that dealer. Two sales managers are gone since February. One of them I knew so well that I even requested that he should not be near my car deal in any shape or form.

All in all my vacation plans went to the toilet and instead of enjoying the experience I am angry and nervous. not to mention that my old 2002 ES 300 on very last leg of its life (recently AC died and have to live with that whole summer).

I have ordered ES 350 in Atomic Silver, Black leather, Luxury, Nav, Safety System, Parking Assist, BSM, heated wheel, Panoramic Roof and 17" wheels

Old 05-22-16, 07:15 AM
r350
Driver School Candidate

I will. I am really worried due the fact that salesman mentioned that he emailed me a few weeks ago about the production date, but he never did. He also told at the beginning that "Company policy on all special orders is that final price will be given when the car is actually built", implying that cost of production may go up and I will have to pay the difference. I already verified with Lexus that they are not planning to change it for 2016 models.

I do not like any of that and leaning toward to request a switching sales consultant. Not sure if it is right move (wife discouraging me). I have never got a purchase order from the dealer.

Something is going on under the scene with that dealer. Two sales managers are gone since February. One of them I knew so well that I even requested that he should not be near my car deal in any shape or form.

All in all my vacation plans went to the toilet and instead of enjoying the experience I am angry and nervous. not to mention that my old 2002 ES 300 on very last leg of its life (recently AC died and have to live with that whole summer).

I have ordered ES 350 in Atomic Silver, Black leather, Luxury, Nav, Safety System, Parking Assist, BSM, heated wheel, Panoramic Roof and 17" wheels

This does not sound right. In my case, once the price was agreed I had to sign a Buyer Order that included the out-the-door price with the specific options I had ordered as well as all taxes, fees and charges. After a few weeks I received a spec sheet with a temporary VIN and a list of the requested options and some accessories that I did not request (probably just a template). When I received the call about the car being ready I specifically asked if there was going to be any change to the price and was told it would not. I asked if I would still be able to take advantage of the $500 incentive if I financed with Lexus and was told I could get that as well.

The only additional amount that I paid over the buyer order was for Tire and Paint insurance ($750 for 5 years). We upgraded to the 17" alloy wheels and from past experience I think this may a worthwhile investment.

In my view the key to this was talking to a manager rather than a sales agent. It just so happened the day that I called was very busy so this manager (Business Development Coordinator) was assisting by taking calls. He did not have any commission to worry about and was very forthcoming.

I had previously worked with a sales agent at another dealership but even though he was nice on a personal level, I did not receive the professional service that I expected. This is why I was willing to work with a dealer over an hour away; there was no pressure or angle. Just good customer service. The manager even called me after the purchase to ask how we liked the car and whether we had any concerns.
Old 05-22-16, 07:19 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

Geez, Instead of being a pleasant experience with great expectations, this has become a twisted tale of intrigue and deception. Delays, lies, ruined vacation plans, insisting that a sales manager stay away, whew! I feel for you partner. I can only wish you good luck for the rest of the ride.
I think I'd find another dealer after the sale for service and any warranty issues.

Quick Reply: 2016 ES Production to Delivery