Avalon Limited vs Lexus ES 350

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-16, 02:24 PM
nelsona
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Avalon Limited vs Lexus ES 350

Hello,

I've been recently looking for a used 2014-2015 Avalon Limited, and have noticed that for around the same price, I can pick up a used 2014 ES 350 with a Luxury Package and Navigation.

Given that both vehicles are based on the same platform, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with both vehicles and what their thoughts were on the two?

My only worries with a Lexus is that if there are any problems with the vehicle, I will end up paying an arm and a leg to fix it. Furthermore, maintenance fees seem about 30 - 50% more expensive.

On the other hand, a Lexus CPO warranty is better than a Toyota CPO warranty.

Furthermore, reliability stats for Lexus show it slightly higher than that of Toyota:

Lastly, I've heard a few people mention that the ride quality with the ES is significantly better than that of the Avalon Limited, which is pretty much the only reason why I'm gravitating toward the ES.

I plan renting a 2014 Avalon Limited for 2 - 3 days in the coming weeks to see if the ride really is as stiff as everyone says it is. If it is, I'd rather not drop to an Avalon XLS or XLS Premium for additional comfort, as I want a vehicle with navigation and blind spot monitoring (I believe both blind spot monitoring and navigation aren't available unless I jump to a Touring or Limited).

Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.

Nelson
Old 03-16-16, 02:41 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

There is no question that the prices that you will pay for service at a Lexus dealer will be significantly higher than what you will pay for service at a Toyota dealer, but I've now owned 3 Lexus vehicles over the last decade, and I've had all of the service for those vehicles done at the local Toyota dealer, and the prices that I've paid for that service have been half or less than what I would have paid at the Lexus dealer. Thus, even though Lexus dealers charge a stiff premium for their service, there is no reason why you need to go to the Lexus dealer for service on Lexus vehicles. Many who post here use Toyota dealers for service, and others use independent mechanics.

When I've had my Lexus vehicles serviced at the Toyota dealer, I've had Avalon loaners a few times. The most immediate difference that I've seen between the ES and the Avalon has been that it would seem that ES has a higher level of sound/noise insulation. With my ES, noise from the road, engine, and wind is at an extremely low level. With the Avalon's that I've had as loaners, that has not been the case, and, especially, engine noise that makes its way into the cabin has been at a higher level. Further, the quality of interior materials, such as leather, real wood trim (which isn't even available on the Avalon), is not at the same level.

I figure that, even though I know that I'm paying a premium for the ES over the Avalon, I will get a good portion of that premium back in re-sale/trade-in value, and I am getting a better warranty with the ES.
Old 03-16-16, 03:40 PM
nelsona
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lesz
There is no question that the prices that you will pay for service at a Lexus dealer will be significantly higher than what you will pay for service at a Toyota dealer, but I've now owned 3 Lexus vehicles over the last decade, and I've had all of the service for those vehicles done at the local Toyota dealer, and the prices that I've paid for that service have been half or less than what I would have paid at the Lexus dealer. Thus, even though Lexus dealers charge a stiff premium for their service, there is no reason why you need to go to the Lexus dealer for service on Lexus vehicles. Many who post here use Toyota dealers for service, and others use independent mechanics.

When I've had my Lexus vehicles serviced at the Toyota dealer, I've had Avalon loaners a few times. The most immediate difference that I've seen between the ES and the Avalon has been that it would seem that ES has a higher level of sound/noise insulation. With my ES, noise from the road, engine, and wind is at an extremely low level. With the Avalon's that I've had as loaners, that has not been the case, and, especially, engine noise that makes its way into the cabin has been at a higher level. Further, the quality of interior materials, such as leather, real wood trim (which isn't even available on the Avalon), is not at the same level.

I figure that, even though I know that I'm paying a premium for the ES over the Avalon, I will get a good portion of that premium back in re-sale/trade-in value, and I am getting a better warranty with the ES.
Thanks for the feedback Lesz.

Out of curiosity, did you notice any differences between your ES and loaner Avalon in relation to suspension / ride comfort?

The two major complaints I hear with the Avalon is that the suspension is too stiff / jarring and that the seats are hard / uncomfortable.

Thank you,
Nelson
Old 03-16-16, 04:36 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by nelsona
Thanks for the feedback Lesz.

Out of curiosity, did you notice any differences between your ES and loaner Avalon in relation to suspension / ride comfort?

The two major complaints I hear with the Avalon is that the suspension is too stiff / jarring and that the seats are hard / uncomfortable.

Thank you,
Nelson
Consumer Reports rated both Avalon models a couple of points higher than the ES350 and hybrid in their Road Test. I don't recall where they saw the differences but it might worth a look to see what they said about each.
Old 03-16-16, 07:00 PM
USALV
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lesz

That's a good idea to use the Toyota instead of Lexus for repairs or a independent. I need to find a good independent Repair person because I have lost faith in the Toyota service department. My Toyota Camry was dying after I had started the car. So I took it Toyota so they can look It over. Toyota wanted $1400 to replace my alternator and the Idle air valve control. I took it for a second opinion and the independent serviced my throttle body for $95.00 instead of $1400 and it's been good ever since.
Old 03-16-16, 08:22 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by USALV
That's a good idea to use the Toyota instead of Lexus for repairs or a independent. I need to find a good independent Repair person because I have lost faith in the Toyota service department. My Toyota Camry was dying after I had started the car. So I took it Toyota so they can look It over. Toyota wanted $1400 to replace my alternator and the Idle air valve control. I took it for a second opinion and the independent serviced my throttle body for $95.00 instead of $1400 and it's been good ever since.
Just out of interest..how old was the Camry?
Old 03-16-16, 08:44 PM
USALV
Driver

Originally Posted by Maikerusan
Just out of interest..how old was the Camry?
Oh the alternator had a loose bolt that my mechanic tighten. That's why the alternator was making a noise. It's a 2000 with 240,000 miles on it.
Old 03-16-16, 09:43 PM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I had 2013 Toyota Avalon Limited Hybrid with Tech Package Nice car. I loved it. great performance and mpg with quality fit finished no problem except the Driver seat had little padding in the bottom were the metal bar that the Fans are hooked to was the worst pain in my ***. right in the bottom middle. I constantly had to move back in my seat to avoid the bar in the middle, well I wanted a 2106 and drove one and found out the seat problem was still there and the Nav screen was smaller then before and no more fog lights.
I Instead Got a 2160 ES300H and there is much difference, Now you have a Lexus Much more quite as it Glides along the road with a refined smoothness that is a Joy to drive now. this Lexus seat has more padding and very comfortable and the pain is now gone, also it has a pillow soft headrest that comforts you (the headrest adjust on the ES) I got the Ultra luxury Package That has soft semi aniline leather ,and Mark Levisen sound is a option that the Toyota does not have and its awesome, I love it
it was 6k more then a 2016 Avalon loaded so I traded The Avalon
The 2016 ES300H is a baby LS

2016 ES300H with UL ML
2015 NX300H Loaded
2013 TAH Limited w Tech

Philip
Old 03-17-16, 08:37 AM
Fillykonk
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Another thing to keep in mind in any comparison is tires/wheels. Those who have 18-inch wheels seem to complain of a rougher ride than those with 17-inchers. Tire brand will also play a factor. Look for Michelins instead of Bridgestone's. Both Avalon and ES can come with either. Make sure both rides are similarly equipped for more accurate test results.
Old 03-17-16, 09:05 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 157 Posts

I also recommend checking tire pressure. Over-inflated tires will cause a harsh ride.
Old 03-18-16, 09:42 AM
nelsona
Driver School Candidate

@Everyone: Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

Nelson
Old 03-18-16, 09:35 PM
USALV
Driver

Good Luck Nelsona!
Old 03-25-16, 08:34 AM
1NEAT_SC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My two cents: I owned a 2014 Avalon Limited Hybrid. From the day I got it I started thinking of getting out of it. Yes, the seats didn't seem to fit right. I know I'm picky, but the temperature gauge was hard to see while driving among other elaborated dash symbols. There's also a few instrument adjustments hard to get to while driving. It just seemed I had to adjust my driving angle in order to glance over at the instrument panels. I drove it for about a year. Then I got myself into the ES300h which from day one put a smile on my face that I made the right choice. (for me) The ES was much quieter, seats were no longer a problem and other things that were bothering me went away.

Just a note: Once you've driven Lexus for a few years......It's really hard to drive something of less quality.

Good luck on your choice,

larry
Old 04-05-16, 08:39 PM
USALV
Driver

Originally Posted by Fillykonk
Another thing to keep in mind in any comparison is tires/wheels. Those who have 18-inch wheels seem to complain of a rougher ride than those with 17-inchers. Tire brand will also play a factor. Look for Michelins instead of Bridgestone's. Both Avalon and ES can come with either. Make sure both rides are similarly equipped for more accurate test results.

My father told me that same thing about the difference between the 18 inch wheels and the 17 inches wheels. I'm so glad that I asked him about it.