ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Are Navigation Systems Useless?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-16, 07:18 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

I assume that everyone knows this, but, just in case some don't, there are many roads that will not show up on the map unless you have the screen zoomed in tighter. So, for example, there are roads that won't show up on the map if it is zoomed, say, to 1/4 mile, but, if you zoom the map into, say, 300 ft., the roads will appear on the map.
Old 03-31-16, 07:38 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

For now, I still prefer an integrated nav system to using my phone. Granted it's hard for built in systems to keep up with changing technology but overall recent ones have worked for me. I don't keep cars much beyond the warranty period so the nav doesn't have a chance to get too old. As long as they are optional most buyers should be able to get pretty much what they want.
Old 03-31-16, 07:42 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

For me, it's the screen size that matters. A phone screen just isn't big or bright enough.

I have an aftermarket nav system for my ES300h and it does a decent job navigating, although my phone has more up to date maps and traffic rerouting. I end up using both if I'm going to a city I'm not familiar with.
Old 04-01-16, 10:43 AM
wdlugitch
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
If you use the voice commands with the (free) Enform app, finding and entering destinations into the ES navigation system is quite simple, very quick, and very good.

I, too, had thought that finding and entering destinations into the nav system, itself, was quite cumbersome, and I found that doing so with voice commands didn't work very well. But, about a year ago, Lexus updated the Enform suite, and using it to find and enter destinations made a night and day difference with regard to the usability of the ES navigation system.

There have been a few other threads about this, and others have agreed about how well the Enform app works with the navigation system. For those who haven't tried it, I strongly recommend doing so. Besides how easy it is to use, another advantage is that the data base that it is using comes via the internet, and, like with smart phone navigation apps, it is constantly updated. In fact, using the Enform app essentially makes it unnecessary ever to have to buy an update to the vehicle's navigation system.
Well put. I do not own a smart phone, but I do see people in cars which obviously have bluetooth with their smartphones at their ears.
Old 04-01-16, 06:08 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

We Lexus buyers in Canada don't have Enform, and my smartphone might be classified as not so smart...I use it solely with wifi or for the odd phone call on pay as you go. No data for me.

So for me, built in Nav is the way to go.

Add to the fact that here if the police even see you touching a cell phone or holding it you can get a ticket of $495.
Old 04-02-16, 03:05 PM
USALV
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maikerusan
We Lexus buyers in Canada don't have Enform, and my smartphone might be classified as not so smart...I use it solely with wifi or for the odd phone call on pay as you go. No data for me.

Add to the fact that here if the police even see you touching a cell phone or holding it you can get a ticket of $495.
Smart move on having the navigation system in your car.
Old 04-02-16, 03:10 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it actually enforced? Aren't there real criminals in Canada?
Old 04-02-16, 03:31 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by litesoarer
Is it actually enforced? Aren't there real criminals in Canada?
Just googled this:

Ontario provincial police handed out 11,500 distracted driving tickets in the first seven months of 2014.

So yes, they do enforce it.

http://handsfreeinfo.com/ontario-dis...-driving-news/
Old 04-02-16, 03:36 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just googled this:

Ontario provincial police handed out 11,500 distracted driving tickets in the first seven months of 2014.

So yes, they do enforce it.

http://handsfreeinfo.com/ontario-dis...-driving-news/
I guess then, that real criminals don't exist in Canada. Happy trails.
Old 04-03-16, 07:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Cell phone laws are enforced here for sure...
Old 04-15-16, 08:57 AM
gjarboe1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

(2013 ES) I recently made a trip from Fort Worth to Albuquerque. The nav system recommended three routes, two of which went through Oklahoma City. I have always used US 287, which is mostly a controlled access freeway and a very direct route. I have used that route for over 30 years. I would be an idiot to do otherwise. 287 is also the route recommended by my phone app.

All three Lexus recommended routes required an extra 150 miles and 2 hours. No matter what I tried, the system behaved as though US 287 did not exist. It did not even show up on the map. I would not trust a $ 300 nav update at the dealer to work any better.
Old 04-15-16, 09:57 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by gjarboe1
(2013 ES) I recently made a trip from Fort Worth to Albuquerque. The nav system recommended three routes, two of which went through Oklahoma City. I have always used US 287, which is mostly a controlled access freeway and a very direct route. I have used that route for over 30 years. I would be an idiot to do otherwise. 287 is also the route recommended by my phone app.

All three Lexus recommended routes required an extra 150 miles and 2 hours. No matter what I tried, the system behaved as though US 287 did not exist. It did not even show up on the map. I would not trust a $ 300 nav update at the dealer to work any better.
If you have not looked at your settings, give it a try. There used to be a selection to avoid certain types of roads like toll roads and who knows what else may be lurking in the setup menus. It might be worth looking at.
Old 04-15-16, 06:02 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

The good old days of paper maps... At least you could see the whole trip's routing at one go, instead of having to look at a tiny screen.

Before a long trip I fire up Google Maps or Bing Maps on my laptop and I compare the routing with the onboard nav and my phone. I usually save the routing on my tablet with my own changes tacked on. I don't trust nav systems completely, seen too many crazy routings especially when map coverage isn't complete.
Old 04-16-16, 04:33 AM
don1
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by litesoarer
I guess then, that real criminals don't exist in Canada. Happy trails.
Of course we do but would I rather be hit by a real criminal than some idiot texting while driving. The end result is the same.
Old 04-16-16, 05:29 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Going to a funeral today and didn't know quite where the church was, but knew the general area. The GPS was putting me on the interstate and sending me into the downtown when I knew better. There was a far more direct route and until I got really close it wouldn't give up on its intent to steer me onto the interstate.

I checked in the "options" and the setup and couldn't find any settings that allowed me to tailor the behavior. I thought there was a place where you could tailor the GPS with your preferences. I thought you could tell it to use fastest route, or most direct route, or least interstate or so forth. Does anyone know where those settings might be - if they even exist on this particular Nav unit?

I have to say it was a bit annoying and I ended up really only using the guidance as I got within a few streets of my destination. I have expressed basic satisfaction with the Nav in the past but very many experiences like I had today will certainly make me rethink that position.

Quick Reply: Are Navigation Systems Useless?