ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Are Navigation Systems Useless?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-16, 07:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

If you want a car that is from a car company that is an early adopter of these sorts of technologies, Lexus isn't for you. It will be years before you see that sort of thing on a Lexus, they're too afraid of technology glitches ruining their IQS and satisfaction scores.

I've been a customer of the brand since 1998, at no time as any Lexus been on the cutting edge of technology.
Old 04-17-16, 07:44 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
If you want a car that is from a car company that is an early adopter of these sorts of technologies, Lexus isn't for you. It will be years before you see that sort of thing on a Lexus, they're too afraid of technology glitches ruining their IQS and satisfaction scores.

I've been a customer of the brand since 1998, at no time as any Lexus been on the cutting edge of technology.
Oh, the irony of Lexus.

Early adopter on some fronts, latecomer on most.
Old 04-17-16, 07:58 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Lexus/Toyota are on the cutting edge of cost cutting though

My car came with a black and white center display, a sick joke on an entry level luxury model. Even the climate control stack doesn't have displays for temperature, it's all shown on the center display. My dealer installed a new touchscreen nav system and the car looks a lot less bargain basement now. Luckily the US market only has cars with Display Audio or full navigation.
Old 04-18-16, 12:37 AM
kellens
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Agree with you here about Lexus not being an early adopter, they were the last car maker to drop the cassette player (which dates me to even say I know what one was) but lately in some areas they're trying to stop being so conservative and appeal to mellenials, which if they don't, they're toast. Plus this is unique that it's technology that apple and android developed, not car maker nav vendors. Though not exactally what I meant in my post for what I'd like personally to eventually see for nav systems, it's a step in the direction. ACP less glitchy than Lexus' system, and I could be wrong, but suspect the delay is a bean counter issue with them and their vendors as much as anything.

I'd rather them take baby steps in tech by third party experts to stay relevant than to bolden, stiffen and sport up their historical plush and quiet rides.

Last edited by kellens; 04-18-16 at 12:50 AM.
Old 04-18-16, 01:19 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Apple and Google showed how mobile devices could be treated like pocket computers with constant updates and improved functionality like with desktops. Apple mostly because Android is a fragmented mess, but that's another story.

Now Apple, Google and Tesla are showing how the same thing can apply to cars. It's shameful that 2012 4GS and 6ES models can't get updates to the next gen system when it's just firmware that needs flashing. Lexus and the rest of the dinosaurs better up their game or they could become like Nokia or BlackBerry - irrelevant and forgotten.
Old 04-18-16, 05:07 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 658 Likes on 492 Posts

Really? I could be wrong, but I thought they were first with self parking "technology".
Old 04-18-16, 06:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike728
Really? I could be wrong, but I thought they were first with self parking "technology".
And then they removed that technology when customers had a hard time using it. Now that technology exists in multiple vehicles some well cheaper than the LS...yet Lexus no longer offers it despite being one of the first ones to offer it.

In any event that's one example. Overall, Lexus is nowhere near being a technological innovator.

As for it being "shameful" you can't upgrade to the latest gen navigation, it's not shameful, none of Lexus' competitors allow that either. Tesla is an outsider niche brand, more a technology company than a car company. We will see what impact they begin to have on the practices in the auto industry.
Old 04-18-16, 06:33 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Yes, in metro settings NAV units are less that optimal...

However, if you enter the address correctly it will eventually get you where you want to go.
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
Old 04-24-16, 05:29 PM
JRandy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a setting to prevent the route from turning off after reaching or passing the destination?
Old 04-24-16, 07:12 PM
kellens
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mike728
You're right, they were. Was before some financial cut backs from Toyota across the entire line. I never read anywhere it was dropped related to complaints and there were no recalls. I agree that Tesla is niche, but nobody stands in line for a Lexus anymore. They beg to hand money over to companies who innovate.

Next generation of US buyers at least is all about technology. Kids can't live w/o a smartphone in their hand or on their wrist. For now, Lexus is trying to appeal to the market with new, larger and prominent screens like in the RX.

Any car maker that doesn't step it up in tech/connectivity won't be relevant in the not distant future. I'm all for technology that works over the 'latest and greatest' but no reason Lexus didn't bring carpay or android at least as fast as GM. I really think it's money driven, not customer or reliability related.
Old 04-24-16, 07:27 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

And it's not Lexus or Toyota that have to do the development work for car multimedia systems, it's their suppliers like Fujitsu-Ten. I know a lot the electronics in cars is a few generations behind consumer hardware because of all the testing for durability and safety but they're just computers after all. If Apple or Microsoft can offer upgrades to computers 10 years old, why can't the car industry? Tesla and Ford are showing the industry can do that but the big boys like Toyota are too slow.
Old 04-25-16, 08:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kellens
but nobody stands in line for a Lexus anymore.
With very few exceptions nobody has ever stood in line for a Lexus.

Its best to think of Tesla as a technology company that is making a car, everybody else is a car company making technology. If you look at what is "car" about a Tesla, its unimpressive. Their interiors aren't great, build quality isn't great, styling isn't incredible....if you look at what is "technology" about say a Lexus...its unimpressive. Differences in focus.

Which will win? With the younger generation theres nothing they care more about than technology...
Old 04-27-16, 06:30 PM
kellens
Pole Position

With very few exceptions nobody has ever stood in line for a Lexus.

Its best to think of Tesla as a technology company that is making a car, everybody else is a car company making technology. If you look at what is "car" about a Tesla, its unimpressive. Their interiors aren't great, build quality isn't great, styling isn't incredible....if you look at what is "technology" about say a Lexus...its unimpressive. Differences in focus.

Which will win? With the younger generation theres nothing they care more about than technology...
Good thoughts. IMO, being tech savvy is the only win for any company that will stand the test of time. I don't discount the fact Lexus, as well as other makers, will have the option to turn the gizmos over to the experts in that field and just concentrate on the car itself..but will have to forego the large profits they're used to in these rapidly antiquated nav systems. Thus the start of the thread.

I don't work for a car maker, but an amazingly refined car, not risky or untested in the 'automobile' components, with a screen that basically tethers to devices which are light years ahead of most car makers nav systems seems ez enough consideration to me, and would appeal to next generation of buyers. That said, I choose the better, finer, more serene and reliable car, and Lexus is right up my alley. Meanwhile, I'll use my smartphone, mostly ignoring the car board system. Wouldn't advise Lexus to count on me to buy an update for it's nav maps though, any more than their over-priced and glitchy apps/remote.

Last edited by kellens; 04-27-16 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-27-16, 06:37 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I use a combination of iPhone/Google Maps and XM NavTraffic in my '10 4LS.
Old 04-27-16, 06:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't know that these "large profits" exist for built in nav. On luxury cars nav is basically standard, or included in a ubiquitous package. Nobody updates their navigation.

Quick Reply: Are Navigation Systems Useless?