ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Are Navigation Systems Useless?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-16, 05:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
Well, for $300 I have an aftermarket system that replaces the original display and interfaces with the rest of the car. It fits seamlessly with plastic trim and a new controller that look OEM. It also lets me do totally dodgy things like watching videos from USB or DVD while driving. The best thing about it is the nav app is a separate WinCE program that runs off MicroSD so a new app or map update is just a download away.

Why can't Lexus or Toyota do this instead of offering locked-in platforms? I'm not asking for user-upgradeable ECUs.

See attached pic, that system is $600 in Italy but only $300 in China.
That's an entirely different thing, you don't see that sort of option here in the US.
Old 04-28-16, 06:46 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

That's because the kit is meant for bottom-barrel variants. Like mine

The original display on my car was a hideous gray LCD. I guess you could replace the Display Audio system with an aftermarket one but it won't look as good.

You could probably buy a kit on AliXpress, good luck with the warranty though. US maps could also be an issue unless you got an Android system that runs Garmin.
Old 04-28-16, 07:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Hence why the vast majority of people just buy the built in nav, or it comes standard on their model or the package they want.
Old 04-28-16, 07:22 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

Although I rarely require navigation for a trip, and when I do I use my Garmin with current maps, a built-in system is almost a requirement when purchasing a new car for resale or trade-in purposes. I think most new car buyers want the navigation system from the manufacturer. I do agree that they should be updateable like my $150.00 Garmin is.
Old 04-28-16, 01:36 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Lexus will come around on the tech, wait and see.

Just because something may be outdated doesn't mean it's "useless". I use it every day and it works fine.

It's not only the same as in 2007, it's essentially the same nav system Lexus has been using since 2001, graphics and UI are a little tweaked, but basically it's the same system. Still works though, not useless.
I think if you are content with a 15 year old nav system power to ya. I personally think its silly that Lexus is dishing out remote touch interfaces in hopes to attracting buyers from the other luxury brands, even copying them in the human machine interface, only to lock them out during driving. I guess I would not mind if the GUI was levels above the competition, but poor GUI, poor interface, decade old map resolution, coupled with the lock out feature is just a terrible idea in total. Suppose i`m traveling on the highway on a rainy day, and the voice command feature has some issues recognizing my command, do you really want me to pull over off the highway or onto the emergency sides to input my nav address???

Old is usually not bad, but putting lipstick on a skeleton and upselling it as advanced is a terrible choice for customers (although I assume everyone specs navigation so $$$$)
Old 04-28-16, 02:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Then why did you buy a Lexus? I'm not satisfied or dissatisfied with the navigation, I didn't even use navigation as a halfway significant item to compare when selecting a car. It's a tool, and it works fine. If it continues to work, what do I care if they change it?

If I truly cared more about infotainment than about other features of a car I would have bought a different car.

And by the way, more companies lockout navigation when moving than do not. That's not just a Lexus / Toyota thing. I've been driving Lexus vehicles with navigation that is locked out when moving since 2003, and I use the nav pretty much every day for work. Really doesn't bug me at all. I enter destinations before I leave, and if I have one on the fly I use destination assist. Before that feature existed I just stopped and entered it.

If it really bugs you, there's a simple aftermarket fix.
Old 04-28-16, 04:37 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

CM6303 Eh?

From their website:
---------------------------
Why select CATEC car AV entertainment system?
CATEC, we are specialized in luxury car GPS Navigation system and always keep concentrate on technical innovation.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I think I will just keep using the Nav unit built into my Lexus rather that fool around with a Chinese built system..
Old 04-28-16, 05:00 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Then why did you buy a Lexus? I'm not satisfied or dissatisfied with the navigation, I didn't even use navigation as a halfway significant item to compare when selecting a car. It's a tool, and it works fine. If it continues to work, what do I care if they change it?

If I truly cared more about infotainment than about other features of a car I would have bought a different car.

And by the way, more companies lockout navigation when moving than do not. That's not just a Lexus / Toyota thing. I've been driving Lexus vehicles with navigation that is locked out when moving since 2003, and I use the nav pretty much every day for work. Really doesn't bug me at all. I enter destinations before I leave, and if I have one on the fly I use destination assist. Before that feature existed I just stopped and entered it.

If it really bugs you, there's a simple aftermarket fix.
Easy question, reliability. But thats not the point being discussed here at all. The point here is whether or not the navigation system is useless. Simple answer it is compared to whats on the market now. A couple years ago complaining about it would be futile, but now even the most basic cars offer much more for far less. And yes I am considering adding another vehicle, and my first stop was the Lexus dealership and sitting in an RX with its 2016 cutting edge design 12.3 floating display. Guess what, Navigation which btw is a $2180 option looked amazing, reminding me of the X5s display when the car was powered off. Took it for a test drive, the map quality is basically the same, system locks out and route options made a 15 minute journey into a 25 minute traffic filled journey. I`m willing to forgive a couple things, but really the 2015 last generation RX sitting unloved in the back of the showroom nav had only differed of that of the 2016 in size of screen.

In regards to the Lock out thing, All the top tier brands with idrive esque machine interfaces do not lock you out, and last I check Lexus is in hot pursuit of customers of those brands. If your adding the F design language to everything, including adding adaptive suspension, floating massive displays, why not also take some time and re do the machine interface and GUI?

Finally the aftermarket? Why? I could, as many have said that they personally have, but you said it best, I would have to step into a basic car, since artificially dealers always throw in navigation at the bare mini. The way I look it at this issue, is that if Lexus is willing to throw on the L finesse design language, explore the upper echelons of High performance F models like the RCF and GSF, offer adaptive suspensions for the best selling mid size SUV, offer a complete safety suite, why not push the extra inch and goo all out in the redesign of its infotainment system, which links (usually use the most in a car) all vehicle functions?

I know lexus is going to deliver a redesign, but by then the market probably will be onto the next big thing.
Old 04-28-16, 05:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber
The point here is whether or not the navigation system is useless. Simple answer it is compared to whats on the market now.
LOL, look up the definition of "useless". My navigation routes me to places I'm going every day...so it certainly is not useless. Is it as advanced and feature rich as navigation systems from competitors? No. But to say its "useless" is an overstatement. Its a navigation system and it navigates just fine.

In regards to the Lock out thing, All the top tier brands with idrive esque machine interfaces do not lock you out, and last I check Lexus is in hot pursuit of customers of those brands. If your adding the F design language to everything, including adding adaptive suspension, floating massive displays, why not also take some time and re do the machine interface and GUI?
The way I look it at this issue, is that if Lexus is willing to throw on the L finesse design language, explore the upper echelons of High performance F models like the RCF and GSF, offer adaptive suspensions for the best selling mid size SUV, offer a complete safety suite, why not push the extra inch and goo all out in the redesign of its infotainment system, which links (usually use the most in a car) all vehicle functions?
The reason why they have not dramatically redone the GUI is they're afraid of damaging their IQS and VDS scores. Many automakers have had their quality scores ruined by dramatic changes in their infotainment systems and Lexus is very averse to things like that. Thats why they're so reluctant to embrace turbos too.

If you want to see examples of this, look to the original iDrive, Ford's Sync, and Cadillac's CUE. Read this article on the subject:

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/02/25/j...ility-opinion/

As for the lockout, Lexus has always had a lockout on their nav and thats never going to change. Toyota is a very risk averse company. If you don't like the lockout, buy something else. Simple.
Old 04-28-16, 05:45 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

"Useless" in the thread title is a little over dramatic. But it has generated a lot of posts.
Old 04-28-16, 05:53 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

LOL, look up the definition of "useless". My navigation routes me to places I'm going every day...so it certainly is not useless. Is it as advanced and feature rich as navigation systems from competitors? No. But to say its "useless" is an overstatement. Its a navigation system and it navigates just fine.

Useless to me is routing me in a manner in which it takes longer then usual for no good reason, which case in point is what the 16 RX did. I`m not here to change peoples individual definitions and use the textbook definition. As I said before, if it works for ya Power to Ya. For me, luxury vehicles should be at the top of their game, and if not, dont make it harder then already it is.

The reason why they have not dramatically redone the GUI is they're afraid of damaging their IQS and VDS scores. Many automakers have had their quality scores ruined by dramatic changes in their infotainment systems and Lexus is very averse to things like that. Thats why they're so reluctant to embrace turbos too.

If you want to see examples of this, look to the original iDrive, Ford's Sync, and Cadillac's CUE. Read this article on the subject:

Yes, thats true, but back then systems like the original iDrive and Ford Sync were not competing with pocket size powerhouses we carry on our person at all times ala smartphones. And considering how easy it is to develop these days infotainment these days, it surprising Toyota has not farmed out their inhouse responsibilities to a third party to lookover and improve

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/02/25/j...ility-opinion/

As for the lockout, Lexus has always had a lockout on their nav and thats never going to change. Toyota is a very risk averse company. If you don't like the lockout, buy something else. Simple.

True, but risk averse is meaningless in this day and age. If toyota intends to stick this route, they should probably stop offering LSS+ and halt further development of autonomous tech. Probably not, and as I said above its only a matter of time before Lexus starts letting loose, but it cannot come soon enough
See writing in bold
Old 04-28-16, 07:31 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

I am largely ok with the Nav but realize there is nothing special about the design. It's good enough for my needs but then I also live in a fairly rural area so I don't need it often. I certainly don't consider it "useless". I still prefer it over messing with a little mobile phone. On the rare occasion I have truly needed it, it does get me there. It just doesn't take the route I would prefer as it favors interstate (strongly) and I do not. I just wish there were adjustment options that would allow me to alter the preferences to suit my own rather than the preferences of some design engineer.

The lockout while the vehicle is in motion is frustrating but as a society we have done that to ourselves through lawsuits. According to my business law professor (just a few years ago but likely still accurate), the single most expensive component of a new car is liability insurance. It isn't the manufacturer's fault - blame the misguided jurors for that!

I also have a 2016 Lexus which I believe has the next generation Nav unit. To be honest, from the little bit I have used it I can't really see much difference. Still ok for my needs and I wouldn't have purchased the car without it.

I think we all have different requirements and different expectations. I don't "expect" the electronics to be superior to another brand just because it has a Lexus logo on the grill. I obviously like Toyota and Lexus cars but I don't think any brand belongs on a pedestal. That is a sure path to disappointment.
Old 04-29-16, 10:05 AM
jacbec
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. I no longer use my Lexus GX Nav system. I have mounted an iPad holder to my dash and use the app Waze exclusively. It is much more accurate and up to date. I won't buy manufacturers Nav systems anymore. Unless it is Apple CarPlay.
Old 04-29-16, 11:50 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ward6096
I am largely ok with the Nav but realize there is nothing special about the design. It's good enough for my needs but then I also live in a fairly rural area so I don't need it often. I certainly don't consider it "useless". I still prefer it over messing with a little mobile phone. On the rare occasion I have truly needed it, it does get me there. It just doesn't take the route I would prefer as it favors interstate (strongly) and I do not. I just wish there were adjustment options that would allow me to alter the preferences to suit my own rather than the preferences of some design engineer.

The lockout while the vehicle is in motion is frustrating but as a society we have done that to ourselves through lawsuits. According to my business law professor (just a few years ago but likely still accurate), the single most expensive component of a new car is liability insurance. It isn't the manufacturer's fault - blame the misguided jurors for that!

I also have a 2016 Lexus which I believe has the next generation Nav unit. To be honest, from the little bit I have used it I can't really see much difference. Still ok for my needs and I wouldn't have purchased the car without it.

I think we all have different requirements and different expectations. I don't "expect" the electronics to be superior to another brand just because it has a Lexus logo on the grill. I obviously like Toyota and Lexus cars but I don't think any brand belongs on a pedestal. That is a sure path to disappointment.
Why does everyone falsely assume that is the jurors fault, or its a liability issue? To the worlds largest automaker, navigation system is the leading cause of being legally exposed, while everyone else, who are smaller dont. Comeon. Thats just someones misguided idea. I can count a million other things in a modern toyota product that would be considered a huge Legal exposure/cause 4 concern.

My theory here, as many have said before, since Lexus is financially sound in both profits and marketshare they have no reason to develop. More people who purchase with being content on 15 year old products, just makes them more content to push out same old same old.

In addition, what really irks me is that if your going to flat out copy/rip off the competition in infotainment, why not do it the entire way lol. Do it like how Apple copies Samsung or Samsung copies Apple go full tilt. Remote touch should be a clone of idrive or command or mmi. Dont copy the competition in a "lexus way" LOL
Old 04-29-16, 12:40 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,300 Likes on 905 Posts

Geez, there's 90 posts on this thread. I think that this question can be answered very simply: Are Navigation systems useless? The obvious answer is no, they're not. Do they need improvement? Yes. Are some better than others? Yes. Check out Honda's and your head will explode. The market will dictate how and when these systems improve. If Lexus is lacking, well shame on them. They will find out sooner rather than later that changes are necessary. FWIW, I think that the Lexus system DOES need improvement. But, so do others...

Last edited by bc6152; 04-29-16 at 12:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Are Navigation Systems Useless?