ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

From GS to ES ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-16, 10:21 PM
dano
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default From GS to ES ?

Has anyone gone from a 2013 or newer GS 350 to a new(er) ES and regretted it? I am having a problem with the driver's seat comfort on my 2014 GS F Sport. I suffer from what appears to be sciatica and the very firm bottom cushion causes severe discomfort after about 40 minutes. We drive to Florida 2-3 times a year from Ohio and this is going kill me. I just ordered a gel seat cushion. If that doesn't help then I may trade for a new ES or a slightly used LS. It's a shame because I absolutely love driving the GS. I've only had it 6 months and hate to take a beating on trade, which I know I will.

Last edited by dano; 05-10-16 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-10-16, 04:14 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm a bit confused about which car you have. You went from a GS to ES, or an ES to GS?

The GS seats are firmer than the ES. On the ES, the seat is more comfortable with the thigh cushion extender option.

If you have the GS, I don't know what you can do to get a softer cushion short of adding some padding.
Old 05-10-16, 05:04 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 642 Likes on 482 Posts

You have an F-Sport, so your seats will be firmer. You didn't notice any issues during your test drive? The Luxury packaged GS has much more comfortable seats. The UL ES has the seats with the cushion extender and are semi-aniline. They will be more comfortable than your F-Sport, too.

I wish you luck with your gel cushion, because trading it in now would be costly!
Old 05-10-16, 01:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Even the luxury package GS has very firm seats. They have a lot of adjustments and IMHO are really comfortable, but they are firm and my wife thought they were too firm. The F Sport seats are basically the same seats as the luxury just without the articulating backrest, without the butterfly headrests and without the semi-aniline leather.

The GS is more dynamic than the ES, and the GS is more solid and substantial feeling, GS' interior is better but the 2016 refresh solved a lot of my issues with material quality and presentation.

I would do some longer test drives of the ES to see what you thought of the seats. The seats in my LS are softer, but I would rate the luxury model seats in my GS as better overall, as I would rate them better than the seats in the GS but you may feel differently if you feel the seat bottom is too firm. Definitely make sure you drive a UL with the seat extender, IMHO that makes a big difference in seat comfort.

I will tell you though, you will get KILLED trading your GS in. Because of the steep discounts on the GS new resale wise they don't hold value like the ES or LS.
Old 05-10-16, 01:53 PM
dano
Driver

Originally Posted by Mike728
You have an F-Sport, so your seats will be firmer. You didn't notice any issues during your test drive? The Luxury packaged GS has much more comfortable seats. The UL ES has the seats with the cushion extender and are semi-aniline. They will be more comfortable than your F-Sport, too.

I wish you luck with your gel cushion, because trading it in now would be costly!
I have a 2014 GS F Sport. It too has the seat cushion extender and I have articulated all the adjustments on the seat a hundred different ways. I'm pretty comfortable until I'm in the seat for 40+ minutes. When I test drove the car (for probably 15 minutes) I weighed 233 lbs. but have since lost 36 lbs. I'm 6' tall and I think losing the added padding has contributed to my discomfort. My *** isn't boney but it's not as padded as it was last November when I bought the car.The funny thing is my '05 Honda Civic, our beater that gets driven twice as much as the GS, causes no issues at all, but there are lateral springs across the bottom of the cushion whereas the GS bucket is a steel pan with a firm foam pad on top of it, the same as the S2000s I used to own. My hope is the gel cushion will help alleviate the leg pain. If not I have my eye on a CPO Silver ES UL with 11k miles and a CPO pearl white LS UL with 28k miles. I'll need to take an road trip once the gel cushion arrives.

Last edited by dano; 05-10-16 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-10-16, 02:12 PM
dano
Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Even the luxury package GS has very firm seats. They have a lot of adjustments and IMHO are really comfortable, but they are firm and my wife thought they were too firm. The F Sport seats are basically the same seats as the luxury just without the articulating backrest, without the butterfly headrests and without the semi-aniline leather.

The GS is more dynamic than the ES, and the GS is more solid and substantial feeling, GS' interior is better but the 2016 refresh solved a lot of my issues with material quality and presentation.

I would do some longer test drives of the ES to see what you thought of the seats. The seats in my LS are softer, but I would rate the luxury model seats in my GS as better overall, as I would rate them better than the seats in the GS but you may feel differently if you feel the seat bottom is too firm. Definitely make sure you drive a UL with the seat extender, IMHO that makes a big difference in seat comfort.

I will tell you though, you will get KILLED trading your GS in. Because of the steep discounts on the GS new resale wise they don't hold value like the ES or LS.
Not sure how much I'd get killed since I bought a CPO '14 with 19k miles for $18,000 less than the original MSRP. The first owner took the big hit. It's never wise to buy a brand new "luxury" car as they all depreciate exponentially. The German brands are even worse.

Also, I went into TrueCar and priced out a new GS UL and an ES UL and the discount, at least at this time, are huge on the ES compared to the GS. Several TRueCar dealers are offering over $5200 off an ES yet none are offering over $2400 on the GS. I guess there is a $3000 rebate right now on all ES models. I priced out a ES UL for a little over $42,000!
Old 05-10-16, 02:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You can also try contacting an upholstery shop to see if they can reconstruct that base foam padding for you too.
Old 05-10-16, 04:44 PM
LexusBC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live with the same issue and was considering the GS350 F sport myself, but now this topic has me worried. I have had Piriformis Syndrome for 8 years now. It is another form of Sciatica. My 2000 Camry is the most comfortable car I can drive in our house. Our cloth interior 2013 Altima with Nasa seats irritates me to no end. I can't drive it very long without a pillow. I have driven many other cars too, and some like VW's hurt. I had a 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD and it was comfortable. I am wondering if I am looking at the wrong car. There is no dealer in my area, so when I go look I will have to drive 130 miles to look at one and sit in it.
Old 05-10-16, 05:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You gotta take them for a long test drive and see.

There was a member a few months back who was deciding between all 3, he had a back issue and was very worried and he chose the GS after spending a lot of time in it, the LS and ES.

I think he actually chose a base GS without even the thigh extender.
Old 05-10-16, 05:26 PM
LexusBC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
You gotta take them for a long test drive and see.

There was a member a few months back who was deciding between all 3, he had a back issue and was very worried and he chose the GS after spending a lot of time in it, the LS and ES.

I think he actually chose a base GS without even the thigh extender.
Agreed. I will no doubt do that as long as they permit it.
Old 05-10-16, 06:39 PM
FmrAccord
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My first post on this board, and, your question is near and dear to me.

I too had back pains last year. It was an L5S1 extrusion. My car at that time was a 2011 Accord. Those cars have some hard seats. I couldn't even sit in those seats more than 30 seconds before I could feel the muscles in my back spazzing.

I spent months and months sitting in just about every car possible. I even went to the car show and sat in everything there.

I wanted a sedan to replace the sedan I had, and, I eventually settled on a 2016 Lexus ES 350 luxury package.

I sat in all of the Lexus vehicles, and, I thought the GS that I sat in at the dealership (not sure which trim level it was) had the most comfortable seats out of all the Lexus vehicles at the dealership.

I settled on the ES because it is a large car, which I like and the seats were my #2 choice behind the GS. These seats in the ES are softly padded and very comfortable for my 6 ft 215lb frame. I can sit in this car and drive it for hours without complaining about discomfort.

Whatever you do, don't buy a Honda product. They make great cars, but, their seats are like you're sitting on concrete.
Old 05-10-16, 06:51 PM
dano
Driver

Originally Posted by LexusBC
I live with the same issue and was considering the GS350 F sport myself, but now this topic has me worried. I have had Piriformis Syndrome for 8 years now. It is another form of Sciatica. My 2000 Camry is the most comfortable car I can drive in our house. Our cloth interior 2013 Altima with Nasa seats irritates me to no end. I can't drive it very long without a pillow. I have driven many other cars too, and some like VW's hurt. I had a 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD and it was comfortable. I am wondering if I am looking at the wrong car. There is no dealer in my area, so when I go look I will have to drive 130 miles to look at one and sit in it.
Of the 3 cars I own my 2010 Tundra has the best seats as far as not aggrevating my sciatica. I can drive it all day with no issues. Maybe I should be looking at an SUV, like a GX460, an RX or a Highlander instead of an ES or LS, if the gel cushion doesn't help. It may be that my legs being extended somewhat straight out in a car vs. straight down in a truck or SUV may be the problem.
Old 05-10-16, 07:06 PM
dano
Driver

Originally Posted by FmrAccord
My first post on this board, and, your question is near and dear to me.

I too had back pains last year. It was an L5S1 extrusion. My car at that time was a 2011 Accord. Those cars have some hard seats. I couldn't even sit in those seats more than 30 seconds before I could feel the muscles in my back spazzing.

I spent months and months sitting in just about every car possible. I even went to the car show and sat in everything there.

I wanted a sedan to replace the sedan I had, and, I eventually settled on a 2016 Lexus ES 350 luxury package.

I sat in all of the Lexus vehicles, and, I thought the GS that I sat in at the dealership (not sure which trim level it was) had the most comfortable seats out of all the Lexus vehicles at the dealership.

I settled on the ES because it is a large car, which I like and the seats were my #2 choice behind the GS. These seats in the ES are softly padded and very comfortable for my 6 ft 215lb frame. I can sit in this car and drive it for hours without complaining about discomfort.

Whatever you do, don't buy a Honda product. They make great cars, but, their seats are like you're sitting on concrete.
The 2011 Accords had rock hard seats for sure. As a previous Honda and Acura salesman I'm all too familiar with the park bench seats in the older Accords. But....my previous 2 cars were a 2013 Accord EXL (totaled when I was rear ended in a traffic jam on vacation) and a 2014 Accord Hybrid Touring. The seats in both those Accords were amazingly comfortable on long trips. Not sporty by any stretch of the imagination but super comfortable for a guy with sciatica. We drove several times to Destin Florida from central Ohio, a 13 hour drive, with no problem. The difference between the '07-'12 Accord seats and the 2013 and later is night and day. I miss those seats now but the GS is 3 times the car for sure.
The following users liked this post:
Jasones350 (07-10-20)
Old 05-11-16, 09:14 AM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

The comfort of any particular seat is very subjective. Like the seats in a car, our bodies all come in different shapes and sizes. Just because the seats in a Honda Accord fits Bob nicely doesn't mean it'll do the same for Sponge.
Old 05-12-16, 10:39 AM
evident
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by FmrAccord
I respectfully disagree. I thought the 07 accord coupe's seat was one of the most comfortable seats i've ever driven. up there with my current IS.

Quick Reply: From GS to ES ?