ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Typical discount off MSRP

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-16, 06:15 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Typical discount off MSRP

Wondering if anyone would share how much off of MSRP they were able to negotiate?

I'm thinking about buying or leasing a new one. The one I was looking at had an MSRP if $43.5k I think.

Thanks.
Old 05-14-16, 06:39 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

For a number of reasons, I think it is going to be difficult for you to get any kind of meaningful or accurate answer to your question.

First, the level of discounting from MSRP varies widely from one region of the country to another. For example, buyers in, say, Nebraska or Minnesota are not likely to get discounts at anywhere near the level as those in southern California.

Further, what appears to be the discount from MSRP may bear little relationship to reality depending on how much profit the dealer is able to generate from things like undervaluing a trade-in, financing terms, lease terms, selling the buyer ridiculously high mark-up dealer add-ons like extended warranties, paint protection products, etc. If the dealer is able to make a good profit on those other things, that dealer may offer to sell the vehicle, itself, at what appears to be a bigger discount from MSRP.

Finally, I'm confident that, on internet forums, there are a good number of people who, for reasons related to ego, like to boast by claiming that the level of their discounts is higher than it actually was.

The only way to get a true indication of the level of discounts from MSRP would be to compare the prices paid for the vehicle by those who didn't lease, who didn't finance, who had no trade-in, and who weren't talked into buying high profit items like extended warranties.

My suggestion would be to start be pricing out the vehicle that you are interested in at sources like Edmunds, Kelly Blue Book, etc. Then, I would, while keeping that information in mind, contact the internet sales departments at multiple Lexus dealerships. Finally, when I chose the dealership that seemed to be giving the best offer, I'd make sure that I didn't turn that offer into a high-profit sale for the dealership by letting the dealership pad its profits with items like the ones I listed above.

The bottom line is that there are so many variables in a car deal that there is no simple way to make sure that you are doing as well as possible on that deal, and those who don't consider all of those variables are the ones most likely to give the dealership a high profit sale.
Old 05-14-16, 07:39 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

I understand people might be hesitant, but I'm hoping people would be willing to share anyways.

The only reason I ask was because I was able to get a hefty discount of my LS (almost 6.5% off) without much fuss, probably because it's considered the last of this build. But, I'm not sure if the discount I received on this car would easily apply to the ES and that's what I'm more or less inquiring about.

4%? 5%? Again, just a round-about number would be great.

I've already researched truecar and other online resources, but I would love to hear what other people are paying off of MSRP here, regardless of region or any other mitigating circumstances.
Old 05-14-16, 07:46 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 651 Likes on 486 Posts

6.5% off the LS would be considered a bad deal, from what I've heard. It shows you're in CA, so you should be easily at a 10% starting point on the ES. This is assuming no trade and no dealer add-ons.
Old 05-14-16, 08:01 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Well, that's why I'm asking. I never asked before purchasing the LS. No idea what was and is considered good.

10% off of the one I was looking at is $4,350.

It's all about relativity and frankly I had and have nothing to compare it to. Heck that discount is $700 less than the LS discount. If by what you're saying that is reasonable, then that is a good benchmark.

Any other thoughts?
Old 05-14-16, 08:45 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Wondering if anyone would share how much off of MSRP they were able to negotiate?

I'm thinking about buying or leasing a new one. The one I was looking at had an MSRP if $43.5k I think.

Thanks.
Agree with the other posters that their is no simple response. I have had times when I have gotten one of kind deals when everyone else was getting sticker and vice versa.

Best thing to do is to go to all of the buying websites, and see what the invoice is. That should be considered the ceiling of your price shopping.

From there you need to figure that a good middle ground for a normal value car is about 10% sticker. On a high volume model like the ES, I`d reckon that most buyers end up with this. However incentives and individual dealer motivations always make the experience vary. The only way to find that is:

Email every freaking dealer in a set area (some people do nationwide but thats just extreme).

Wait for the responses. Good dealerships will either be up front and say no, others will say we can do it and then give you numbers.

The bad ones are those who say Can I call you, can we schedule an appointment, WHERE DO YOU GET OFF ASKING ME for SUCH A DIscount, or send you a list of CPO vehicles or tell you why their dealership is amazing, finally the ones who can do it, but will not email you #s cause they a volume dealership bs

Take the good ones and then see how much further you can go.

Do note this wont be easy as say truecar, but it also means you dont end up overpaying for a spending a day on carbuying.
Old 05-14-16, 09:17 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks.

There's no right or wrong answer here, and obviously not everyone can get the same deal.

I paid 6.5% under MSRP, I thought that was a good deal (and I have no shame in saying that), but obviously not (and considering how easy it was for me to get that, he's probably right) and that's why I'm curious.

I just want to know what other people here were able to achieve. I've already researched outside sources, but I just want to benchmark against real people if any of you would be gracious enough to share.
Old 05-14-16, 09:35 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 651 Likes on 486 Posts

There are several posts on the subject, if you search. Here's the main pricing thread, which should probably have been made into a "sticky". LINK
Old 05-14-16, 10:06 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Perfect, thanks!

Just browsing the last few pages and 10% does indeed look fairly obtainable, although only a few were able to get that. But that's my benchmark. Thank you.

Last edited by Rhambler; 05-14-16 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-14-16, 12:11 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz

Finally, I'm confident that, on internet forums, there are a good number of people who, for reasons related to ego, like to boast by claiming that the level of their discounts is higher than it actually was.
More than once I have seen people claim that they got prices that I can assure you they did not get.

The most amusing was back in late 2001 someone on Edmunds claiming that they paid $500 over invoice on an LS430 UL from my dealership. No, more like MSRP -500
Old 05-14-16, 12:31 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I have no idea to the veracity of what people have reported. Frankly I thought I got a steal on my LS, but what other people are saying it was not a good deal.

That's why I'm here as I'm hoping to get perspective. If that 10% off is unrealistic, I'll soon find out lol. Well again, my negotiating wherewithal might not pass muster versus others (and I'm not one to be rude), but I'll see what I can get and report back.

I'm going to make Internet/phone queries first with the salesman I dealt with while also searching for "sales" on dealerships outside of my area within a 200 mile radius.

I'll be prepared and do my homework I hope, unlike when I walked in to buy my LS (was not prepared). I'll see if I can find comparable inventory elsewhere that might be listed for less and just start with a lowball 10% off MSRP (politely) and see what they say and hopefully work towards the middle on an amenable price.

Unlike my LS, I really don't need this car, so my position will be a little bit stronger as I can walk.
Old 05-14-16, 12:47 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
The opposite is also true, I know of people who personally have gotten a terrible deal, and then badger people who actually have gotten much better numbers to (take your pick) in an effort to "feel better" for their loss

1) Post Dealer Info
2) Post Sales Info
3) Post email info verifying the fact

Its funny the internet can produce a lot of extremes. Hence why its always important to put in the time. and find out what out there
Old 05-15-16, 05:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

I got nearly $10,000 off the sticker of my nearly $80k MSRP LS, so that's roughly 12.5% off MSRP, and I got a 0.0007 MF on the lease. That was an incredible deal, and that's really why I got the LS.

But, mines a 2015 yours is a 2016. Mine included a $3,000 rebate yours may not have included depending on timing. It's all relative. If I were to walk into a Lexus dealer today and try to negotiate the same deal on an LS I would not be successful, I watch the numbers enough to know that. I might be able to get similar money off, but the MF would be much higher.

Looking at the spread on the ES between MSRP and invoice I don't see you getting 10% off without some sort of rebate. That would be what I would shoot for though. If you lease make sure they don't come back and tack that discount back into the MF, they always try that.
Old 05-15-16, 06:04 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I never heard back after I sent the salesperson an email asking 10% off.

I'm in no rush at this point.
Old 05-15-16, 06:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

I would watch the incentives...and wait for one of their push times, golden opportunity, December to remember, etc.

Quick Reply: Typical discount off MSRP