ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Light bulb under the side mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-16, 07:13 PM
krnboy817
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Light bulb under the side mirrors

Can someone inform me what the light bulb size is for the welcome lights below the side mirrors?

I'm looking to replace it with an led light of some kind and I haven't been able to get a clear answer yet.

Would be appreciated if someone can shine some light.

Thnx

<br > <br >
The following users liked this post:
hresendiz2 (12-14-20)
Old 05-16-16, 10:15 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

You can replace it with a T10 wedge LED, that's the easy part. The hard part is figuring out how to take the mirror apart without breaking it. Let us know if you figure out. I would love to do mine too.
hresendiz2 (12-14-20)
Old 05-16-16, 11:36 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

It's pretty easy, there are a few threads on here showing how. Basically you pry the mirror away from four plastic clips, unscrew the mirror casing and swap the bulb. It takes a lot of force to pry the mirror away. A short T10 bulb will work but make sure it fires sideways for more even lighting.
hresendiz2 (12-14-20)
Old 05-18-16, 07:32 AM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

To answer your first question the factory mirror bulbs are #168 wedge base, same as all the other interior bulbs. I also used the short T-10 LEDs to replace them. There are several you-tube videos showing how to do these mirror light upgrades.
Old 05-23-16, 09:51 AM
wdlugitch
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by krnboy817
Can someone inform me what the light bulb size is for the welcome lights below the side mirrors?

I'm looking to replace it with an led light of some kind and I haven't been able to get a clear answer yet.

Would be appreciated if someone can shine some light.

Thnx

<br > <br >
Why do you want to replace those lights? Are they not saying welcome loud enough?
Old 05-24-16, 07:52 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by wdlugitch
Why do you want to replace those lights? Are they not saying welcome loud enough?
They are too dim to be useful. So I changed mine to LED.
PatrickAz (08-11-20)
Old 05-25-16, 08:33 AM
krnboy817
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dchar
They are too dim to be useful. So I changed mine to LED.
So I just ordered some T10 led bulbs from Amazon. They should be here for the weekend and I will get them installed since I have no plans for the 3 day weekend coming up. I wanted buy some led bulbs from ijdmtoy like many have done on the forum, but I thought I give a no name a try since it was only 10 bucks shipped.
Old 05-26-16, 03:50 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

No name ones are OK, just make sure they're short so they fit in the light housing. LEDs really transform the look of the car. I also swapped the reverse bulbs with some monster T10 LEDs, so big they barely fit, and they light up the rear a lot better in the reverse camera.
Old 05-26-16, 06:38 AM
krnboy817
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chromedome
No name ones are OK, just make sure they're short so they fit in the light housing. LEDs really transform the look of the car. I also swapped the reverse bulbs with some monster T10 LEDs, so big they barely fit, and they light up the rear a lot better in the reverse camera.

These are the ones I got.... Hope they are big enough.

<br >
Old 05-28-16, 05:29 AM
krnboy817
Driver School Candidate

The les bulbs were put in last night. Overall I think it's worth it if you get the right led bulbs. The ones I got weren't as bright as I expected them to be.... Perhaps I was expecting too much.

I ended up swapping out the reverse lights too while I am at it and I ended up liking them as a result more than swapping out the welcome lights under the mirrors.

Anyways I also found out that my mirrors adjust if I put in reverse, which wasn't happening all this time. It started to move and adjust when in reverse after taking out the mirror and swapping the bulb. Guess I got something extra.

<br > <br > <br > <br > <br > <br > <br > <br >

Last edited by krnboy817; 05-28-16 at 05:33 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by krnboy817:
AquaMayne (07-19-21), hresendiz2 (12-14-20)
Old 05-28-16, 07:41 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Well done, it's a quick mod that looks good. The mirror bulbs don't have a diffused beam like the door bulbs so they don't really light up the ground. I think they're more for show.

The reverse bulbs look nice and bright too. The right side mirror should dip with the mirror selector set to left or right; nothing happens when it's in the center position.
Old 05-28-16, 09:18 AM
krnboy817
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chromedome
Well done, it's a quick mod that looks good. The mirror bulbs don't have a diffused beam like the door bulbs so they don't really light up the ground. I think they're more for show.

The reverse bulbs look nice and bright too. The right side mirror should dip with the mirror selector set to left or right; nothing happens when it's in the center position.
Currently the mirror is set in center position and they both seem to dip when in reverse. Before taking the mirrors off and messing with it none of them moved when in reverse. In both situations the switch was on center since I have a habit of leaving it in the center.

It was a mystery to me that they started to move and dip since I was under the impression that I didn't have the feature on the car so far
Old 05-28-16, 10:26 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

That's weird. Does your car have memory seats? The reverse mirror dip feature is supposed to work only with cars having driver's side seat memory. Maybe the dipped and normal settings were the same last time.
Old 08-10-20, 09:38 PM
AquaMayne
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Do you pry the mirror from the top?

I dont want to break a 100+ mirror for a 3$ bulb. Do you pry the mirror from the top? Any tips would be appreciated. Anyone have a link to remove the mirror for the 2016 models?
Old 08-11-20, 05:45 AM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

Here is one. ES is the same. Several more on Youtube.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nelexus88:
jollick (08-11-20), RogueXI (08-11-20)

Quick Reply: Light bulb under the side mirrors