ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

US Build?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-16, 12:15 PM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

At some point, none of us will have a choice on where our car will be built in today's global economy. Or perhaps, you guys would do better by choosing a model based on where it is built, rather than choosing the model first.

Take for example, my friend who wants to buy an Audi. He really wants to buy a new Q5 in the next 2 years, but the next generation Q5 will be built in Mexico. He has his heart set on a car built IN Germany. Therefore, he will now be buying an A4 which is still built in Germany.

So this guy changed up his entire plan and went to a different model entirely, solely because of where it was built. This is what you'll have to do if you only care about where it is built.
Old 05-30-16, 02:42 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by HouseB328
At some point, none of us will have a choice on where our car will be built in today's global economy. Or perhaps, you guys would do better by choosing a model based on where it is built, rather than choosing the model first.

Take for example, my friend who wants to buy an Audi. He really wants to buy a new Q5 in the next 2 years, but the next generation Q5 will be built in Mexico. He has his heart set on a car built IN Germany. Therefore, he will now be buying an A4 which is still built in Germany.

So this guy changed up his entire plan and went to a different model entirely, solely because of where it was built. This is what you'll have to do if you only care about where it is built.
To me the quality of a Mexican built car is nowhere close to a German built car (or Japanese built either). I don't blame your friend at all for making the decision that way.
Old 05-30-16, 03:40 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 716 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Maikerusan
To me the quality of a Mexican built car is nowhere close to a German built car (or Japanese built either). I don't blame your friend at all for making the decision that way.
Please explain that. What are you basing that on?
Old 05-30-16, 04:36 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ward6096
Please explain that. What are you basing that on?

Just how I feel about it.

Articles like this don't help

http://blog.caranddriver.com/honda-f...mexican-plant/
Old 05-30-16, 04:55 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by HouseB328

I'm in the same boat as your friend, except I'm looking to replace our 2013 Q5. Since I know that the next gen will come from a brand new plant in Mexico, I'm looking at other vehicles. If I didn't know this, and bought one, it wouldn't bother me much. But since I know, I'll be cautious. If things work out from the Mexico plant, I'd possibly another Q5 in the future.
Old 05-30-16, 06:46 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 716 Likes on 524 Posts

Interesting. I suppose we have NAFTA to thank for that. All of the manufacturers are building factories there thanks to the low labor rates. I believe Ford has had an F-150 factory there for some time and no complaints, so in my humble opinion it depends on how well the factory is managed rather than the nationality of those producing or assembling the cars.
Old 05-30-16, 07:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

If I were paying a premium for Lexus or a higher price Toyota model I would probably want one built in Japan. While there is probably not a much of a different, it still would probably be important.
Old 05-31-16, 07:12 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

Just so we're clear on "quality" comparisons.

The ES plant in Kentucky is producing 85 (EIGHTY-FIVE) cars per DAY.

The Camry line is producing 1,500 per SHIFT.

Let's pump the brakes on thinking US workers can't produce high quality products.
Old 05-31-16, 07:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

The only reason to want a Japan built car over a US built car is your own mental hangups...
Old 06-02-16, 08:49 AM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The only reason to want a Japan built car over a US built car is your own mental hangups...
Does that mean if I have no preference, I am ok, but if I prefer either a US built or a Japanese built car then I have mental hangups?

Interesting diagnosis.
Old 06-02-16, 08:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Maikerusan
Does that mean if I have no preference, I am ok, but if I prefer either a US built or a Japanese built car then I have mental hangups?

Interesting diagnosis.
You'e misunderstanding what a mental hangup is. I'm not saying you have a mental issue, its not a diagnosis. You have a prejudice about vehicles built in the US, and hat prejudice is not based on anything factual or experiential, its based on your own mental hangup that something built in the US is of inferior quality to something built in Japan. If anything all the evidence out there shows that japanese companies build excellent cars in the US, Lexus has done very well building the RX in Canada, etc. Yet you still prefer something built in Japan with no basis for that other than your own preconceived notions.

Everybody has mental hangups.
Old 06-03-16, 11:34 AM
2gns4me
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how do I know if mine is built in Japan or US. What is the Vin code to look for?
Old 06-03-16, 11:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If the VIN starts with a "J" it was built in Japan.
Old 06-03-16, 12:42 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

They seem to be coding the US built ES starting with a 5.

Some of the country codes include:
1, 4, 5: United States
2: Canada
3A-37: Mexico
J: Japan
VF-VR: France
9: Brazil
WA-W0: West Germany
S: Great Britian
Old 06-04-16, 06:15 AM
kellens
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't question that US workers **CAN** build high quality products, USA has **SOME** amazing talent with good work ethic, but, it's not in our countries' culture sadly. History tells us that it's more expensive, and less likely to get a quality product made in the USA than many other countries. The culture of hard work in America is present, just not as prevalent.

I'm skeptical on first year of a car's model, and same for first year of new factory run of a car (IE the KY plant). I don't like to beta test products I depend on, like transportation. We unfortunately don't have enough public transportation to use a car as a commodity here. I wouldn't say no to the US built ES, but it is a consideration, even in a Lexus. Only time will tell.

Last edited by kellens; 06-04-16 at 06:22 AM.

Quick Reply: US Build?