ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Premium / Luxury Package Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-16, 08:49 PM
PhillyPhan
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Premium / Luxury Package Question

Me and the wife are trying to decide on the specific options she wants for her new ES 350. I'm completely confused by the differences between the premium and luxury packages. I'm specifically referring to the "perforated leather trimmed interior" of the luxury package which really looks to be the only difference between the two packages.

The confusion comes when I select the interior color we're wanting which states it is "BLACK PERFORATED LEATHER WITH ESPRESSO BIRD'S-EYE MAPLE TRIM". This is before I even get to selecting premium or luxury. So are they referring to two different parts of the interior?
Old 06-13-16, 04:46 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 657 Likes on 491 Posts

They're referring to the interior, which includes both the seating color along with the wood trim color. You have two options. The one you noted, as well as: "Black perforated leather with Linear Dark Mocha wood trim".

If you prefer a different color combo, you would probably have to go to the dealer and special order.
Old 06-13-16, 05:14 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by PhillyPhan

The confusion comes when I select the interior color we're wanting which states it is "BLACK PERFORATED LEATHER WITH ESPRESSO BIRD'S-EYE MAPLE TRIM". This is before I even get to selecting premium or luxury. So are they referring to two different parts of the interior?
The "build your Lexus" site can be quite confusing.

When you begin by selecting your exterior color and, then, your interior color, you are doing that before you choose whether you want the Premium package, Luxury package, or Ultra Luxury package. So, there is a reasonable chance that you might have chosen an interior option that is not compatible with the package that you will be choosing later, and, if that happens, you should get a pop-up telling you that, for that package, you need to change your interior choice. For example, if you choose the semi-aniline leather interior and, then, choose the Luxury package, you should get a pop-up telling you that, with the Luxury package, the semi-aniline interior is not available and that your interior choice needs to be changed.
Old 06-13-16, 05:47 AM
StevenTodd
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
The "build your Lexus" site can be quite confusing.

When you begin by selecting your exterior color and, then, your interior color, you are doing that before you choose whether you want the Premium package, Luxury package, or Ultra Luxury package. So, there is a reasonable chance that you might have chosen an interior option that is not compatible with the package that you will be choosing later, and, if that happens, you should get a pop-up telling you that, for that package, you need to change your interior choice. For example, if you choose the semi-aniline leather interior and, then, choose the Luxury package, you should get a pop-up telling you that, with the Luxury package, the semi-aniline interior is not available and that your interior choice needs to be changed.

I found the Lexus Build Your Lexus feature totally worthless. It will give you false information. As stated above, the feature will ask you to choose an exterior, interior color, and trim color BEFORE you choose any option packages. I configured my car choosing Mica Red for the exterior, Flaxen interior with the Honey Bamboo trim. Then when I selected the Premium package, it indicated only parchment was available even though the Lexus brochure indicated flaxen and the Honey Bamboo trim was an option. Your best option is to actually go to the dealership and to confirm what is actually compatible as I did. Even though I had to special order my car I was able to get the Mica Red exterior with the flaxen seats and Honey Bamboo trim.
Old 06-13-16, 06:33 AM
PhillyPhan
Rookie

Yeah I told my wife we're just going to have to go to the dealership and see the differences for ourselves. The build process on the website is very confusing as others have mentioned. After a lot of research and process of elimination last night I think the packages are as follows:

Premium = Nuluxe Leather (Fake)
Luxury = Real Leather
Ultra Luxury = semi-aniline leather
Old 06-13-16, 06:38 AM
vapro10s
10th Gear

Like the Ultra Luxury! Does ES have the door armrest semi-aniline upgrade like the 460LS?
Old 06-13-16, 06:42 AM
PhillyPhan
Rookie

Not sure about that. Unfortunately every build we've ran across with the UL option includes the panorama roof and my wife hates that feature. Come to think of it every luxury build we find also has that roof which is why we were going to go with the premium package, but don't want the Nuluxe.
Old 06-13-16, 06:50 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Unfortunately every build we've ran across with the UL option includes the panorama roof and my wife hates that feature.
What is it exactly about the pano roof your wife dislikes?
Old 06-13-16, 06:51 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Yeah After a lot of research and process of elimination last night I think the packages are as follows:

Premium = Nuluxe Leather (Fake)
Luxury = Real Leather
Ultra Luxury = semi-aniline leather
That is correct.

Originally Posted by vapro10s
Like the Ultra Luxury! Does ES have the door armrest semi-aniline upgrade like the 460LS?
No. Regardless of the package, the armrests, headrests, sides of the seats, etc. are not real leather and there is no option to change that.

Not sure about that. Unfortunately every build we've ran across with the UL option includes the panorama roof and my wife hates that feature. Come to think of it every luxury build we find also has that roof which is why we were going to go with the premium package, but don't want the Nuluxe.

I believe that all of the UL vehicles will have the pano roof. That was true for the 2013-2015 model years, and I believe that it is still true for the 2016 ES, but you shouldn't have any trouble finding a Luxury package ES with the standard sunroof. The 2016 ES is the first year when the pano roof was available without the UL package. Now it is an option on other packages. It may be the case that, on a particular recent production run, the factory was building Luxury package ES vehicles with the pano roof, and that is why you are seeing them at the dealerships, but I'm confident that there have been and will be other production runs with the Luxury package and with the standard sunroof.
Old 06-13-16, 06:57 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mike728
What is it exactly about the pano roof your wife dislikes?
I am among those who don't like the pano roof. I would never use the sunroof, regardless of which one it was. Further, even with the tint of the sunroof, I find the glare of the sun to be annoying to my eyes. So, I keep the shade closed all of the time,

Additionally, the larger glass surface does not isolate the cabin from noise as well as a smaller sunroof with less glass, and it can be more to rattles and chatter.

So, if I'm not ever going to actually use a sunroof, I figure that I'm better off without the pano roof.
Old 06-13-16, 07:17 AM
PhillyPhan
Rookie

Thanks to all for the help and clarification. I searched every dealer in Arizona and found that every ES 350 in this state at the dealerships that has the Luxury package comes with the panorama roof. Well let me clarify, every WHITE ES 350. Which is the only color she has her eyes on. The interior has to be either the black or grey. None of us are a fan of tan interior.
Old 06-13-16, 07:32 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 862 Likes on 650 Posts

The ES300h Hybrid does not get the Pano roof when equipped with the Ultra Luxury
Package. Does get the Semi Aniline leather, passenger memory seat, driver's seat
extension, side window shades and ambient lighting.

The website is confusing in the way it only shows car that have already been ordered
and are available at a dealer now. It does not easily allow you to customize yours.
If you go to Edmunds.com you can pick and chose but can inadvertently "build" a
combination that can not be actually constructed.
Old 06-13-16, 07:42 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lesz
I am among those who don't like the pano roof. I would never use the sunroof, regardless of which one it was. Further, even with the tint of the sunroof, I find the glare of the sun to be annoying to my eyes. So, I keep the shade closed all of the time,

Additionally, the larger glass surface does not isolate the cabin from noise as well as a smaller sunroof with less glass, and it can be more to rattles and chatter.

So, if I'm not ever going to actually use a sunroof, I figure that I'm better off without the pano roof.
I've heard of some complaints with sunroof noise, but I haven't noticed anything. Maybe it's the crappy Bridgestones that keep me from hearing it?

As far as functional reasoning goes, all you really add with it is the ability to add light to the rear seat, that can be closed off with a shade. The front opening is about the same size as the standard roof. What it adds is the wind deflector, which I believe actually decreases wind noise when opened. The main reason I wanted it was for the aesthetics. Like everything, looks are subjective.
Old 06-13-16, 08:07 AM
PhillyPhan
Rookie

Originally Posted by mcomer
The ES300h Hybrid does not get the Pano roof when equipped with the Ultra Luxury
Package. Does get the Semi Aniline leather, passenger memory seat, driver's seat
extension, side window shades and ambient lighting.

The website is confusing in the way it only shows car that have already been ordered
and are available at a dealer now. It does not easily allow you to customize yours.
If you go to Edmunds.com you can pick and chose but can inadvertently "build" a
combination that can not be actually constructed.
I did just notice I could get the hybrid with the luxury package and without the panorama roof here, they just don't have the color combinations we're looking for. Also we still haven't test driven the hybrid to see if that's even an option for us. All I know is my wife fell in love with the ES 350 and it really wasn't even on her radar. She was dead set on a Cadillac Coupe up until last week.
Old 06-13-16, 08:56 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

Go see if your wife can tell if the Nuluxe is real leather or not, Lexus did a good job on simulating leather. Most likely she won't notice. All of the Premium package ES I have encountered are equipped with perforated seats with ventilation and heating. When you get the Luxury or Ultra Luxury package, only the seating surfaces are leather, the rest is Nuluxe.

Keep in mind, if you want extending bottom cushion for driver's seat and ambient lighting, then you'll have to get the Ultra Luxury package, and live with the panoramic sunroof. The features mentioned are exclusive to the UL package.

Last edited by dchar; 06-13-16 at 09:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Premium / Luxury Package Question