ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Sidetracked- Toyota Prius?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-16, 09:08 PM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes the CT is way too compact. The ES is a bit big for city driving but maybe you get used to that dunno....driving a hybrid might getting used to when you're used to a V6 also wondering how bad the blind spot they talk about is so we'll see
Old 06-19-16, 09:09 PM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Road noise and bumpy ride...that might take getting used to, thanks for all the great insight!
Old 06-20-16, 06:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

We had a Prius, granted it was a long time ago (it was a 2004 we had until 2011), and I know the new ones are much improved in terms of driving enjoyment, but it was the least enjoyable vehicle I've ever owned. Uncomfortable to drive, loud, poor riding...it got good fuel economy but we traded it on a Jeep Grand Cherokee, took an obvious huge hit in mileage, and I smiled as I poured $75 a fillup into it...thats how much I disliked the Prius. My wife loved it, but cars are just appliances to her.

No way I would even consider a Prius, especially when you can get the hybrid powertrain if thats your thing in better cars today.

If you want a luxurious car but don't want something as big as the ES (which IMHO isn't that big and doesn't feel big on the road), I would look at a Mercedes C Class, or a new Audi A4.
Old 06-20-16, 09:28 AM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Thanks for the info. Wow I'm surprised at all the previous Prius owners...I guess everyone's had the hybrid experience. Yes I looked at the Audi but reliability really scares me so it sounds like overall the ES is the best fit for me, just need to get over the size can you tell I'd never be able to drive an SUV

Originally Posted by SW15LS
We had a Prius, granted it was a long time ago (it was a 2004 we had until 2011), and I know the new ones are much improved in terms of driving enjoyment, but it was the least enjoyable vehicle I've ever owned. Uncomfortable to drive, loud, poor riding...it got good fuel economy but we traded it on a Jeep Grand Cherokee, took an obvious huge hit in mileage, and I smiled as I poured $75 a fillup into it...thats how much I disliked the Prius. My wife loved it, but cars are just appliances to her.

No way I would even consider a Prius, especially when you can get the hybrid powertrain if thats your thing in better cars today.

If you want a luxurious car but don't want something as big as the ES (which IMHO isn't that big and doesn't feel big on the road), I would look at a Mercedes C Class, or a new Audi A4.
Old 06-20-16, 09:46 AM
jonmanch
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had a 2013 ES 300h and turned it in at 36K for a 2016 ES 300h. I drive it into NYC (Manhattan) every work day and do not find the size a problem. Both are great cars.

I didn't realize the ES had a blind spot because I have the BSM on both cars which is one of the best options.
Old 06-20-16, 10:16 AM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Thanks for the reassurance. Do you think the hybrid option is worth it if I drive 15k a year? I'm planning a purchase so didn't want to spend the extra money if it wasn't going to be worth it, currently gas is $3 a gallon where I am

Originally Posted by jonmanch
I had a 2013 ES 300h and turned it in at 36K for a 2016 ES 300h. I drive it into NYC (Manhattan) every work day and do not find the size a problem. Both are great cars.

I didn't realize the ES had a blind spot because I have the BSM on both cars which is one of the best options.
Old 06-20-16, 10:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The fuel savings of the hybrid isn't going to pay for the premium of having the hybrid version for a very long time.
Old 06-20-16, 10:44 AM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

I owned a Prius before. While the Prius is very reliable and very cheap to maintain/own, it is totally a "lesser" car than the ES300h. The Prius is VERY noisy, it rattles, and it absolutely lacks in the power department. That is not to say that the Prius is not a good car, it is an excellent car. It is an excellent car made mainly for efficiency. It compromises on a lot of other areas to get the good efficiency. I think it is a great commute-car.

The ES300h is a luxury car, meant for those who also wants excellent fuel economy. I believe the ESh has come a long way. Gone are the compromises. Today, we can get a full-size 3800-lb luxury car with no compromises yet still topping 40 mpg.
Old 06-20-16, 10:48 AM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

Thanks, heard the ES350 has about 21mpg but not sure if depending on driving habits it could get more

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The fuel savings of the hybrid isn't going to pay for the premium of having the hybrid version for a very long time.
Old 06-20-16, 10:50 AM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

gosh, are we talking difficulty going up inclines in a parking garage or rollback up a hill? don't want that

Originally Posted by azipod
I owned a Prius before. While the Prius is very reliable and very cheap to maintain/own, it is totally a "lesser" car than the ES300h. The Prius is VERY noisy, it rattles, and it absolutely lacks in the power department. That is not to say that the Prius is not a good car, it is an excellent car. It is an excellent car made mainly for efficiency. It compromises on a lot of other areas to get the good efficiency. I think it is a great commute-car.

The ES300h is a luxury car, meant for those who also wants excellent fuel economy. I believe the ESh has come a long way. Gone are the compromises. Today, we can get a full-size 3800-lb luxury car with no compromises yet still topping 40 mpg.
Old 06-20-16, 11:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by prosgal73
Thanks, heard the ES350 has about 21mpg but not sure if depending on driving habits it could get more
When I had my 2010 ES350 I routinely got 30-32 on the highway at 80 MPH, and around town I got low 20s. Very good for a vehicle that size. The 6ES has the same engine and drivetrain.

gosh, are we talking difficulty going up inclines in a parking garage or rollback up a hill? don't want that
Not really. The Prius is adequate, the lack of power really presents itself when trying to say pass on the highway.
Old 06-20-16, 12:26 PM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

if they don't give me a good deal on it I'm probably just go for the prius but if I can get a good deal then i'll go for ES but really can't wait too long need to purchase by the end of next month
Old 06-20-16, 12:43 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

There is adequate power on the street. However, on the highway its a different story. There is no passing power so you'll have trouble trying to pass up a car. You'll also have some trouble merging onto the freeway. If the road involves an inline at freeway speeds, you'll be flooring it all the way through to get to the top. If you have to use the oncoming traffic lane to pass-up a slower vehicle ... don't do it. You simply dont have enough power to do it safely.

Its not the best car for a road-trip on the open road.
Old 06-20-16, 12:52 PM
prosgal73
Pit Crew

wow lots of great tips, yeah I don't want to make an impulse buy on this prius just because it's economical. I do want to save money but I guess I have to decide at what expense, maybe the money upfront on the ES is better in the long term...will have to think long and hard before deciding. I think it really depends on what kind of deal they're willing to offer me on the ES in July

Originally Posted by azipod
There is adequate power on the street. However, on the highway its a different story. There is no passing power so you'll have trouble trying to pass up a car. You'll also have some trouble merging onto the freeway. If the road involves an inline at freeway speeds, you'll be flooring it all the way through to get to the top. If you have to use the oncoming traffic lane to pass-up a slower vehicle ... don't do it. You simply dont have enough power to do it safely.

Its not the best car for a road-trip on the open road.
Old 06-20-16, 12:55 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

The ES300h gets 40 mpg. The Prius gets about 50 mph. If you MUST HAVE 50 mpg, then get the Accord Hybrid. I think the Camry Hybrid gets 45 MPG. The Prius use to be king of the hill in terms of fuel economy ... but now there are quite a few cars that can get nearly the MPG without all the compromises.

Quick Reply: Sidetracked- Toyota Prius?