ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Battery died again and not even 3 years

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-16, 07:26 AM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Battery died again and not even 3 years

I purchased a new 2013 ES 350 and the battery has died twice this week. I drive 60 miles a day on the highway, so it gets plenty of charging. I am still under the 4 year and 50k mile basis warranty.

Dealer said the battery is only covered if I BUY a battery from them. Otherwise, the warranty is only 1 year for a new car purchase. Is this correct? If not, can someone please provide the proper documentation.

So if this is true, I'm gonna go to Autozone or something and get a high power battery. This car isn't even 3 years old and I do all highway driving -what a junk battery.
Old 07-15-16, 07:53 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

While it is not the norm to have battery problems with the ES, there have been a number of threads here started by people who have had battery drain issues, including another one stated by you.

Here are a few of them.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...ain-issue.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...ead-again.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...ay-or-two.html

In most cases, the source of the issue ultimately was found to be something other than a bad battery. In at least one case, it turned out to be one of the seat adjustment switches that was stuck and that caused a constant drain on the battery. In at least another case, the source turned out to be a faulty gateway ECU that needed to be replaced.

While it is possible that your 3 year old battery could be failing, I would start by checking other things that could be causing a constant battery drain.
The following 2 users liked this post by lesz:
oreguyd (03-26-21), ShakerAsh (04-22-20)
Old 07-15-16, 08:21 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by HouseB328
I purchased a new 2013 ES 350 and the battery has died twice this week. I drive 60 miles a day on the highway, so it gets plenty of charging. I am still under the 4 year and 50k mile basis warranty.

Dealer said the battery is only covered if I BUY a battery from them. Otherwise, the warranty is only 1 year for a new car purchase. Is this correct? If not, can someone please provide the proper documentation.

So if this is true, I'm gonna go to Autozone or something and get a high power battery. This car isn't even 3 years old and I do all highway driving -what a junk battery.
Your car should be covered by a 4 years bumper to bumper warranty. That should include the battery
Old 07-15-16, 09:50 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

I thought that the battery was covered for 4 years as Jollick stated. Dealer might be blowing smoke at you. The (original) battery in my Avalon that I traded for my 350 was 6 and still strong.

Last edited by bc6152; 07-15-16 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-15-16, 10:08 AM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jollick
Your car should be covered by a 4 years bumper to bumper warranty. That should include the battery
Might be over the mileage limit?
Old 07-15-16, 10:11 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Maikerusan
Might be over the mileage limit?
The OP stated " I am still under the 4 year and 50k mile basis warranty."
Old 07-15-16, 12:09 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Originally Posted by jollick
The OP stated " I am still under the 4 year and 50k mile basis warranty."
Oops. Clearly my reading skills need improvement.

I would just bring it back and get a new (free one). Even if it lasts 3 more years (and I think personally it should last a lot longer), OP will not be out of pocket and can always buy a new battery 3 years from now from vendor of his choice.
Old 07-15-16, 12:22 PM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

UPDATE - I called the Lexus dealership again. thanks for the suggestions.

After I told them I read that other Lexus owners had their battery replaced under the 4 year/50k warranty, they said "Yes, the battery is covered." Well, why couldn't you say that the first time I called? Their reply was, "Umm, I'm not sure who you spoke with that said that."

Dealership tested out the electrical system, found nothing. Battery failed load test and they replaced it. On the battery is listed at only 575 CCA, but 130 reserve capacity, so that's good I guess. Says 84 month warranty on it.
Old 07-15-16, 12:33 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by HouseB328
UPDATE - I called the Lexus dealership again. thanks for the suggestions.

After I told them I read that other Lexus owners had their battery replaced under the 4 year/50k warranty, they said "Yes, the battery is covered." Well, why couldn't you say that the first time I called? Their reply was, "Umm, I'm not sure who you spoke with that said that."

Dealership tested out the electrical system, found nothing. Battery failed load test and they replaced it. On the battery is listed at only 575 CCA, but 130 reserve capacity, so that's good I guess. Says 84 month warranty on it.
Well you did pretty good. I called Lexus Customer Service in California and they stated that the vehicle battery - non- hybrid - is covered under the warranty as follows:

Month 1-24 from in-service date 100% covered. Month 25-48 50% coverage of MSRP of the battery.
Old 07-15-16, 03:18 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Originally Posted by bc6152
Well you did pretty good. I called Lexus Customer Service in California and they stated that the vehicle battery - non- hybrid - is covered under the warranty as follows:

Month 1-24 from in-service date 100% covered. Month 25-48 50% coverage of MSRP of the battery.
Let me guess...and MSRP is roughly double the price batteries normally sell for?
Old 07-16-16, 01:57 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The SA or dealership has descretion on repair or replacement as a customer accommodation, including the battery.
Old 07-16-16, 02:56 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

I think a bigger concern is why the battery died so soon. Putting a new one may be a temp fix if you have a faulty component in the charing system.

Check battery cable and alternator wiring for any loose bolts and/or corroded connections. (Before fixing anything loose or corrosion, disconnect the battery.)

Then, with battery fully charged, check voltage output at idle (warm engine). Voltage should be 13.5 to 14.5 volts. Our ES350 with a new alternator and battery purrs at 14.1 volts (my Tacoma at 13.6 on OEM alternator). Then do a load test: with car idling, turn on fan on high (don't turn on the AC); high beams, and wipers on fast. Voltage drop from idle should be less then a volt, ideally, half a volt. If voltage output is at 13.5 or a little less, alternator is still good if it passes load test, but low voltage indicates replacing alternator is a good preventive measure.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/charging_checks.htm
Old 07-17-16, 01:57 PM
sapd911
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my cause was the driver seat extender stuck in the on position on my 13 ES UL.
Old 07-25-16, 06:24 AM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ive had my Toyota(at the time) dealer in AZ, replace mine..Got stranded less than a block from them on a busy street. I was headed there due to the car not starting after I came out of a restaurant after lunch. I ran down to svc dept. they had 2 guys with a large jumper come. jumped it.. and one drove it to dealer, as it pulled in the service bay it dies again.. got a new battery and the warranty was already expired.. They said it still shouldnt do that. Plus they performed a little PR work by doing so.....
Old 01-27-20, 05:50 AM
tvarghese
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got one of the Autocraft batteries from Advance Auto Parts last week.
Seems to work fine and fits ok, but since the terminals are reversed on the 24F, have to turn the battery around which puts the terminals more towards the outside of the vehicle than the OEM battery. The cables had to be moved a little to reach the posts, but not a big deal at all.

I closed up the vent towards the front of the car with some silicone. Got an elbow with a 3/8" barb on each end at the neighborhood Ace Hardware. Scraped off the plastic on one end to get it to fit the opening and sealed it up with some silicone. Should be fine.

Quick Reply: Battery died again and not even 3 years