ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Autumn shimmer touch up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-16, 10:47 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Autumn shimmer touch up?

I have a 2016 es in the new color autumn shimmer. I tried ordering a a touch up paint for them but it never arrived so I canceled the order. Can any of you recommend a good touch up paint website?
Old 08-04-16, 10:57 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

I would be hesitant to use touch up paint from a 3rd party manufacturer. Any Lexus dealer is likely to keep Lexus touch-up paint in stock in their parts department. Also, if it is a color that is shared with Toyota, it would likely be in stock at the parts department of most Toyota dealers. In the case of colors used by both Toyota and Lexus, Toyota likely will use a different name for the color than does Lexus, but the way to check if the colors are the same is to see if the paint codes of the two colors are the same. You can find the paint code for your color on one of the stickers on the frame inside the driver's door. You can also find the color codes and names by doing a Google search for Lexus and Toyota paint codes.
Old 08-04-16, 11:09 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lesz
I would be hesitant to use touch up paint from a 3rd party manufacturer. Any Lexus dealer is likely to keep Lexus touch-up paint in stock in their parts department. Also, if it is a color that is shared with Toyota, it would likely be in stock at the parts department of most Toyota dealers. In the case of colors used by both Toyota and Lexus, Toyota likely will use a different name for the color than does Lexus, but the way to check if the colors are the same is to see if the paint codes of the two colors are the same. You can find the paint code for your color on one of the stickers on the frame inside the driver's door. You can also find the color codes and names by doing a Google search for Lexus and Toyota paint codes.
See the thing is I ordered it from my dealer since it's a new color it was on back order and never came in so I just got my refund. But I have to go this weekend so I'll ask again before placing an order online from a website. And this color is a Lexus exclusive
Attached Thumbnails Autumn shimmer touch up?-photo466.jpg  
Old 08-04-16, 08:07 PM
687Jim
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just received my Autumn Shimmer Touch Up from TouchUpDirect via Amazon. Includes the paint in an applicator and separate Clearcote along with detailed instructions and a little swatch thing to practice on. Works great. Be sure to shake well before using. It was $26.55 shipping included. I had it in about a week.
Old 08-04-16, 08:27 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 687Jim
Just received my Autumn Shimmer Touch Up from TouchUpDirect via Amazon. Includes the paint in an applicator and separate Clearcote along with detailed instructions and a little swatch thing to practice on. Works great. Be sure to shake well before using. It was $26.55 shipping included. I had it in about a week.
That's good too know will be looking into them. Have any of used automotive touch up? And if you have what do you think of them?
Old 08-04-16, 10:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I've used Automotive Touchup before and the match was great.
Old 08-05-16, 02:29 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I've used Automotive Touchup before and the match was great.
Perfect gonna order from them tomorrow
Old 08-05-16, 05:57 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by imrankh24
Have any of used automotive touch up? And if you have what do you think of them?
Whether or not you are likely to get good results with any touch-up paint depends largely on 3 factors.

1). What the color of the vehicle is. With the multi-stage pearl colors, including pearl whites and colors like the Lexus Atomic Silver, it is much more difficult to do repairs that are less noticeable because, simply, you cannot reproduce a 3-stage pearl process or, in the case of the Atomic Silver, a 5-stage process with touch up paint. Even some 2-stage light metallic colors, like light silvers and light golds can be difficult to work with and end up with a repair that is not easily noticeable. On the other hand, repairs properly done with touch-up paint on medium and darker 2-stage metallic colors, such as the Lexus Nebula Gray, can be harder to detect. And repairs done on non-metallic colors, like most blacks, should be the easiest colors for which to get excellent results.

2). What the nature of the repair is. Touch-up paints work the best on small stone nicks. For things like larger scratches, they aren't likely to yield results that are very good. If you have a scratch that hasn't completely gone through the clear coat, instead of using touch-up paint, using mildly abrasive polishes, like the 3M polishes that body shops are likely to use, is the way to get rid of those scratches. With deeper scratches that have gone completely through the clear coat, either accept living with them or have the panel re-finished because touch-up paint isn't going to result in a repair that is cosmetically pleasing.

3) You need to use care and proper technique to do the repair. The key element in using proper technique is to fill the damaged area with just enough paint so that the repaired area ends up at the same level as the surrounding original finish and to make sure that none of the touch-up paint extends beyond the perimeter of the damaged area. If the touched-up area is even slightly higher than the original paint or if it extends a bit beyond the perimeter of the damaged area, the repair will catch the light differently from the way that the surrounding area catches the light. The result will be that, from one angle, the repaired area may look to be to light, and, from another angle, it may look to be too dark and stick out like a sore thumb. What also makes it a challenge to end up with the touched-up area at the same level as the surrounding area is that the touch-up paint will shrink just a bit as it dries. So, you need to apply the touch-up paint to an ever-so-slightly higher level than the level you want it to end up to be. A good tip in using touch-up paint is not to use the brush that is supplied with the touch-up paint. It is much to broad to allow for precise control over where you are applying the paint. Instead, buy some very fine brushes from some place that sells artists' supplies. Those fine brushes will give you better control over how much paint is applied and where it is applied.

The bottom line is that, with some colors, excellent results can be obtained on minor paint repairs if care and proper technique are used. On the other hand, less than satisfactory results are likely with some colors, with bigger repairs, and if good technique and care are not used.

I'll also mention that some report good results with a product called Dr.ColorChip, which is applied differently from traditional touch-up paint. I bought the product (which is quite expensive) for both of my vehicles. My conclusion was that, with care and good technique like I described above, I can get better results with traditional touch-up paint, but, for those who don't have the good technique or who are not inclined to take lots of care in doing the repairs, the Dr.ColorChip product is an alternative worth considering. Here is a link to their website.

https://www.drcolorchip.com/

Last edited by lesz; 08-05-16 at 06:28 AM.
Old 09-22-16, 05:55 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Well I finally found oem autumn shimmer touch up paint and ordered a bottle. For anyone that's interested: https://www.ebay.com/itm/291876140726
Old 10-16-16, 08:58 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Well my touch up finally came on Friday and today I will be using it! Will let you know how it goes
Attached Thumbnails Autumn shimmer touch up?-photo490.jpg