ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Wheel Repair - Does it last?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-16, 02:18 PM
Zipit555
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wheel Repair - Does it last?

I am looking at a used Lexus and it has some curb rash on the wheels. I have been told that they can be repaired and you will never know it. Has anyone had them repaired? Cost? How do they look when you are done and is it a temp fix to get the car of the used car lot or does it hold up for 3-5-7 years. I plan to keep this car a long time.

Thanks!!
Old 08-10-16, 03:01 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,298 Likes on 903 Posts

First, it depends upon the severity of the damage. If the metal is deeply gouged it is very difficult to make a repair that cannot be detected. I have had repairs done to two of my wheels.
The wheel metal was scraped but not deeply. I was fortunate in that when I went to the dealer to ask who repaired their wheels, the man was outside doing a wheel. I got his information and contacted him on the side. Both wheels were repaired . He sanded them first, then emory cloth sanded them, primer painted, and finish coat. Turned out almost perfect. That was about 3 years ago. The damage is virtually undetectable unless you know it's there. I paid $40.00 per wheel which I thought was a pretty good deal. Can't imagine what the dealer would get. BTW I'm in PA...
Old 08-10-16, 03:08 PM
Zipit555
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
First, it depends upon the severity of the damage. If the metal is deeply gouged it is very difficult to make a repair that cannot be detected. I have had repairs done to two of my wheels.
The wheel metal was scraped but not deeply. I was fortunate in that when I went to the dealer to ask who repaired their wheels, the man was outside doing a wheel. I got his information and contacted him on the side. Both wheels were repaired . He sanded them first, then emory cloth sanded them, primer painted, and finish coat. Turned out almost perfect. That was about 3 years ago. The damage is virtually undetectable unless you know it's there. I paid $40.00 per wheel which I thought was a pretty good deal. Can't imagine what the dealer would get. BTW I'm in PA...
WPA? If so, PM his info to me.