ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

DIY Dash Corner Speaker Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-19, 07:38 AM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

your audio shop did a very clean install, nice.
Old 05-21-19, 07:39 AM
Clemsonee
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexNY
any pics of the process?

which wires did you tap your amp into? doesn't it overpower the speakers that are hooked into the stock amp?

i have the older gen infiniti 4022 in my dash as well as focal 6.5 on all doors. i might add some bass in the future as it's a bit lacking at the moment. But i wonder if the stock amp + aftermarket speakers can keep up with an amp/sub combo in trunk
The shop used a line level converter and I believe they tapped into the wires to the factory sub (now disconnected). I plan to remove the factory sub this weekend.

I can turn it up to max volume with my Infinity 4"'s in the dash with no distortion on my sub or mids/highs.

You want to ensure the amp gains are set correctly. There are many youtube videos on how to do this. The stereo shop set it for me. I just to run two JLAudio W0 12's in a Nissan Pathfinder back in the 2000's and this one 10 hits just a hard and is more accurate bass. I listen to mostly hip hop and EDM
Old 05-21-19, 07:40 AM
Clemsonee
Rookie

Originally Posted by AlexNY
your audio shop did a very clean install, nice.
Thanks. They are "Custom Car Stereo" in Charleston SC
Old 05-29-19, 04:29 PM
Clemsonee
Rookie

Default Door Speakers Installed

Front Door panel off. Ensure to clean the metal surfaces with a cleaner like windex or other glass cleaner so the sound deadening material will bond to the metal

I put some sound deadening material on the speaker brackets since they felt a little flimsy (These are the brackets from Crutchfield)

I put sound deadening material on the large metal surfaces. I did not put on the entire door. This is the front left door

Front right door with sound deadening.

These 6x9's definately make the midbass tighter sounding. With the 3 dash speakers and these replaced the sound is so much clearer.

I am going to run this setup for a while before deciding if I want to upgrade the rear doors

I am also going to sound deaden the trunk, and rear deck in the future. I will post those pics when I do.

Tip: When putting the doors back on, 1. Make sure the green door lock cable is on the bottom when you put the door panel back on. 2. Ensure you remove the window channel prior to putting the door panel back on. I learned these two tips on the front left door which took me over an hour to figure out and fix. When I did the right door panel went back on in 5 minutes

Old 06-12-19, 06:47 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,302 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Hi notabot, I just put the 3.5 speakers in my 2016 ES 350 nonML. Your suggestion of gm plug adapters (dremel trimmed) and bolt down short cut were perfect. On my 2016 Lexus grill, I used my dremel to shave the backside so it wouldn't hit the speaker cone edges. It occurs to me that there's minimal materials keeping the front acoustically isolated from the back side as the opening in the dash is much larger than the speakers. Any thoughts from you or anyone else to acoustically isolate front from back? Also adding a Rockford Fosgate 10" powered sub in the trunk and see how it sounds before spending more money and time replacing the door speakers. Thanks for doing such a good post!
Old 06-19-19, 07:37 AM
Clemsonee
Rookie

Rear Door Speaker Upgrade Complete

Infinity REF 6532 with crutchfield speaker bracket and wiring harness. I put sound deadening on the bracket

Backside of speaker

Left Rear Door Panel Removed with stock speaker

Put the sound deadening material inside the speaker hole on the door frame

Rear Left Door with new speaker installed

Right Door

Right Door with sound deadening

Right Door Infinity speaker

Make sure to remove window clip from door panel prior to reinstalling door panel. The clip will fit over the raised dot on the back of door frame

Clip installed

Remove the window channel from the door panel prior to reinstallation of door panel. This is a pick of the window channel installed

door panel re-installed
Old 06-20-19, 08:36 AM
Clemsonee
Rookie

After upgrading all the speakers, the factory amp powers these just fine. Sound is clearer, fuller, and brighter. Highly recommend this upgrade to anyone. Parts to complete the job was about $400 for the speakers from Crutchfield which included speaker brackets for the doors and Toyota wiring harness adapters for the doors. I ordered the dash wiring harness from Crutchfield as well. I spent $150 on a roll of sound deadening material that I used for the doors, trunk, and rear deck. I still have a little bit left over.

As far as the time. For a DIY'er I would allow for about 6-8 hours for the entire speaker upgrade if you do it one day. I did it over a three day period and had about 8-9 hours total time.
The following users liked this post:
tom95148 (10-25-19)
Old 06-20-19, 06:40 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,302 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Now that I've taken the time to tweak the subwoofer settings on the Rockford Fosgate 10" powered sub and used some "aluminized" HVAC tape to cover all the air gaps around the two dash speakers, I'm quite happy with this upgrade and personally feel no need to spend more money and time replacing door speakers. It's nice that we have such great members who share photos, etc. I do believe that taking the extra time to tape the dash speaker air gaps improved the sound tremendously. I also keep the rear seat arm rest open and the pass through open as it does add a richness to the lower frequencies. A fun project that got me twisting this 60 y. o. body into positions that I thought were going to be harder than they were!!
Old 07-06-19, 04:48 PM
camfused
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mesdhois
Notabot, so you already replaced your center speaker? Part already came in and was it from Crutchfield?
Here is a lengthy thread that might help you: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...-upgrades.html
Old 09-23-21, 07:33 PM
kbryanrn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different speakers

Originally Posted by notabot
Actually I ordered the speakers from crutchfield so they included the harness for free, I just asked them since they didn't have a compatible harness. And yes they were off the shelf - I ordered the replacement harness (I broke one of the ones they sent me) from Amazon. I think they were $5.95.
im curious did anyone buy any other type of speaker other than infinity? Is there a reason why everyone is getting infinity vs kicker, Bose JBL?
Old 10-05-21, 07:50 PM
Buki19
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Other soeakers

I bought Polk db402’s and I think they sound better than the infinity’s. They are 4” speakers and you might have to turn them a certain way to make them fit but they do fit. I’ll put the infinity’s in the wife’s car!
I did buy the jbl’ 427 but didn’t try them as they came too late, but they’re made by Harmon kardon and should sound amazing there is also a company called red wolfe that makes a wire adapter for the dash speakers that plug and play no mods required. I got them off eBay my whole dash speakers replacement took 20 min.I may go back in and put some sound insulation under the speakers
Old 10-06-21, 07:56 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,407 Likes on 1,112 Posts

Harmon now owns and produces JBL, and Infinity. Its not at all the same as JBL and Infinity were years ago.
Old 10-06-21, 08:00 AM
Buki19
Driver School Candidate

Default Speakers

Now that you said that I did see harmon on the infinity box! Still I thought the polks sounded a little clearer to me. Maybe the Infinity’s and jbl’s are the Lexus and Toyota of the speaker industry now (?)
Old 10-06-21, 08:12 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,407 Likes on 1,112 Posts

We all have different ears. There are variables in speaker sounds and quality. It matters only what sounds best to your ears is all.
Old 10-06-21, 05:19 PM
Buki19
Driver School Candidate

Default Dash speakers

Couldn’t agree more ! Each person has their own opinion on what they like. I can honestly say best $50 ever spent ! Or should say $65 with adapters. Oh I did have a Boston 4” that I was going to use in my Dolby 5.1 setup in my Tundra already. Works great as center channel.

Quick Reply: DIY Dash Corner Speaker Replacement