ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

MSRP Discounts....am I crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-17, 04:33 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by phanjo33
I live in SoCal, and I think that the negotiation with dealers isn't going well.
I'm looking into 2 options right now. 1) base 2017 ES 350, MSRP $40k 2) 2017 ES 350 w/ premium pkg, parking assist, blind spot assit and etc. MSRP around $42.5k
The best offer so far I got from the dealers is $35,400 and $37,700 for the respective vehicle configuration.

They put me at 12% off MSRP for the base ES 350 and again 12% off MSRP on the ES350 with premium pkg.

Looking at this thread, I'm not getting as much as discount as other people are. Am I doing quite bad?
BTW, these numbers are before $1,000 cash, which I'm going to opt out as I prefer getting 0% APR on 60 months financing.

Did anyone in SoCal get a better deal? If so, could you please kindly share the name of the dealer?
How many dealers have you contacted? Last year around this time, they started blowing these cars off the lots with great discounts and a 3500 rebate. We leased ours but were able get 20% off last Aug fairly easily. There are many Lexus dealers in SoCal - email as many as you can - narrow it down to the dealers who seem serious and start working with the Internet folks on the phone to show them you are ready to buy.
Old 06-26-17, 10:27 AM
phanjo33
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bgaerttner
How many dealers have you contacted? Last year around this time, they started blowing these cars off the lots with great discounts and a 3500 rebate. We leased ours but were able get 20% off last Aug fairly easily. There are many Lexus dealers in SoCal - email as many as you can - narrow it down to the dealers who seem serious and start working with the Internet folks on the phone to show them you are ready to buy.
Yes, I tried about a dozen dealers to negotiate the price. Went back and forth about the last 2 weeks although I initiated the conversation about a month ago.
Finally purchased a car with the same price I mentioned above.
MSRP $40,210
Purchase Price $35,200
So that's 5k off MSRP.
With tax and fees, the OTD is about $38,700.

I couldn't wait for another month, although I was curious if Lexus will come out with even bigger rebates in the coming months at least after the current financial special that runs through 7/5. My lease is up on 7/1 and I didn't want to go in during Independence Day weekend to buy a car. The place will be crowed.

At least, I've got an agreement from the dealer where I purchased my car that they will install rear spoiler for my ES 350 as I've got that in my negotiation with another dealer.

ES 350 doesn't have the same kind of sportiness and the acceleration that I get from my lease-ending 328i, I'm really liking it.
The styling is gorgeous, and it has all the safety features which come as standard where I do not need to pay for them.

I would have liked getting ES 350 with blind spot detection, front and rear parking assist, but I didn't want to get premium pkg or luxury pkg as I wasn't incline to getting the steering wheel with wood accent. God, maybe some people like, but to me, that's just no.
Old 06-26-17, 05:16 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes, I tried about a dozen dealers to negotiate the price. Went back and forth about the last 2 weeks although I initiated the conversation about a month ago.
MSRP $40,210
Purchase Price $35,200
So that's 5k off MSRP.

I couldn't wait for another month, although I was curious if Lexus will come out with even bigger rebates in the coming months at least after the current financial special that runs through 7/5. My lease is up on 7/1 and I didn't want to go in during Independence Day weekend to buy a car. The place will be crowed.

At least, I've got an agreement from the dealer where I purchased my car that they will install rear spoiler for my ES 350 as I've got that in my negotiation with another dealer.

ES 350 doesn't have the same kind of sportiness and the acceleration that I get from my lease-ending 328i, I'm really liking it.
The styling is gorgeous, and it has all the safety features which come as standard where I do not need to pay for them.

I would have liked getting ES 350 with blind spot detection, front and rear parking assist, but I didn't want to get premium pkg or luxury pkg as I wasn't incline to getting the steering wheel with wood accent. God, maybe some people like, but to me, that's just no.
That's not that bad a deal for a base model - dealer has less room for discount on a unit with fewer options, so $5k is probably fair. A great car - you're gonna love it.

Congrats and enjoy!!
Old 06-27-17, 09:45 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

MSRP $40,210
Purchase Price $35,200
Did you get BOTH the excellent $35,200 price AND the 0% for 60 months financing? Did you do $zero$ down too? Thanks.
Old 06-28-17, 07:03 AM
TxESDriver
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

MSRP $40,210
Purchase Price $35,200
So that's 5k off MSRP.

Congratulations on your purchase. Based on the research I've done the discount off MSRP ranges from 12 - 20% so you are within range
Old 06-29-17, 07:28 AM
phanjo33
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gemigniani
Did you get BOTH the excellent $35,200 price AND the 0% for 60 months financing? Did you do $zero$ down too? Thanks.
Yes, I did get that price along with 0% APR for 60 month financing.
No zero down as I wasn't leasing but purchasing the vehicle. I did put down-payment.
Old 06-30-17, 02:38 PM
sonatine
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm thinking of picking up a 2017 ES350 around September/October when the 2018 models release. With incentives to get these older models off the lot, do you think it's possible to get 25% off MSRP? Is that too crazy? Would 20% be more realistic? BTW I'm in CA.
Old 06-30-17, 06:16 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by sonatine
I'm thinking of picking up a 2017 ES350 around September/October when the 2018 models release. With incentives to get these older models off the lot, do you think it's possible to get 25% off MSRP? Is that too crazy? Would 20% be more realistic? BTW I'm in CA.
My first thought is that 25% might be a bit optimistic, but, with ES year-to-year sales down by 25%, I suppose that it is a possibility.

On the other hand, Lexus (and other manufacturers) try to anticipate if sales numbers are going to be good or not, and they adjust their production accordingly. When I've checked the inventories at several Lexus dealers recently, I've noticed that the inventories are fairly low, and the dealers don't seem to be getting many new vehicles added to their inventories. So, if the dealers only have fairly small inventories and if they aren't adding many vehicles to those inventories as we move into the late summer and going into the fall, Lexus might not feel the need to have large incentives, both advertised and unadvertised, to move the remaining 2017s as the 2018s start to reach the showrooms.

I think that you will be able to get a better indication of what the situation might be like in another week to 10 days. The current advertised factory rebates are expiring on July 7. It will be interesting to see what offers replace them because the period of time starting in mid July should be when the dealers and Lexus will be starting to make a serious effort to rid themselves of the inventories of 2017s
Old 07-02-17, 09:43 AM
vipinckv
Driver School Candidate

Default West coast Vs East coast

Well, planning same here to get a 2017 ES 350 next couple of months. I have been following this forum for some time and thanks much for the buying tips. Bust so far I read a lot of rebates and discounts towards west coast but very less number of comments from east coast. Someone mentioned this earlier in this forum, but just trying to understand , will there be a real significant rebate difference between these zones or do I have less bargain power as I live in east coast.

Appreciate if you guys share any points which can work in my advantage in the bargain from east side.

Thanks
Old 07-05-17, 02:00 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

With the 2018 Camry (so far, it has been well reviewed) going into mainstream inventories, as well as the debut of the 2018 Camry Hybrid, the ES350 will face some decent competition (as well as the ES300h). Couple that with the rumored-to-be-all-new ES350/300h in late 2018, I expect prices to only go down as I can't imagine Lexus having a bunch of new features on a model so close to the end of its model cycle year. 25% may be too optimistic but 20% is already a good mark now in terms of aimed discount...
Old 07-05-17, 04:26 PM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

As I mentioned on another thread, I picked up a '17 UL on Monday for ~20% off MSRP. Granted there were several things working in my favor; including dealer competition (there are 5 dealers in the metro area), 4th-of-July incentives, the fact that the car I bought had been sitting on the lot for a few months, etc.
Old 07-06-17, 07:16 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

As of today (7-6-17), the Lexus factory rebate for the ES went up from $1000 to $2500. That rebate will be in effect until 7-31.

If, in June, people have been reporting getting discounts approaching 20% off from MSRP, buyers for the rest of July should be able to do even better.

With year-to-year ES sales down by 25%, we might expect that the advertised rebate will be even a bit higher in August, and, combined with unadvertised incentives to help dealers reduce their 2017 inventories, the next couple of months should be a great time to buy an ES. During the late summer and early fall last year, the advertised rebates for the 2016 ES went as high as $3500, and I would expect that, this year, the rebates should climb to a similar level or, perhaps, even a bit higher.
Old 07-06-17, 07:35 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

i know there are lots of factors but how does this general guideline look as a starting point? -

Model Year - MSRP Discount
1 - 0-5%
2 - 5-7%
3 - 7-10%
4 - 10-15%
5 - 15-20%
6 - 20-25%
Old 07-06-17, 12:12 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gekko
i know there are lots of factors but how does this general guideline look as a starting point? -

Model Year - MSRP Discount
1 - 0-5%
2 - 5-7%
3 - 7-10%
4 - 10-15%
5 - 15-20%
6 - 20-25%
You probably need a significantly wider range within each model year because there can be a difference of 7% or 8% in the price,depending on the date of purchase, just within the same model year.

For example, when I bought my 2017 ES last fall just a couple of weeks after the 2017s became available, I think that the price I paid was quite good for buying a car that early in the model year. But, if I were buying the same car right now, I'd be shooting for a price of about $3000 less than what I paid last fall. On the other hand, I just checked the value of the 2013 ES that I traded in at that time, and it has lost about $3000 in value since last fall. So, had I waited until now to buy the 2017, even though I could have bought it for about 6% less than what I paid, the net in my pocket would have been pretty much of a wash, and I would not have been able to enjoy owning the 2017 for the last 8 or 9 months.
Old 07-06-17, 01:01 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
You probably need a significantly wider range within each model year because there can be a difference of 7% or 8% in the price,depending on the date of purchase, just within the same model year.

For example, when I bought my 2017 ES last fall just a couple of weeks after the 2017s became available, I think that the price I paid was quite good for buying a car that early in the model year. But, if I were buying the same car right now, I'd be shooting for a price of about $3000 less than what I paid last fall. On the other hand, I just checked the value of the 2013 ES that I traded in at that time, and it has lost about $3000 in value since last fall. So, had I waited until now to buy the 2017, even though I could have bought it for about 6% less than what I paid, the net in my pocket would have been pretty much of a wash, and I would not have been able to enjoy owning the 2017 for the last 8 or 9 months.
the high end of the ranges are meant to be very aggressive and are meant to be the starting point in the negotiation.

Quick Reply: MSRP Discounts....am I crazy?