ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

First and Second Complimentary Service

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-16, 08:00 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Default First and Second Complimentary Service

I bought my ES300h from a dealer that is about an hour drive away in the best of traffic, not convenient for the long term for sure, but not the greatest even for 1st and 2nd service. Do I have to go to dealer where I purchased the car?

Wonder if I can ask a nearer dealer to honor the 2 complimentary services with the assumption that I will keep going there afterwards.......has anyone done this?
I guess -it never hurts to ask.... I will probably do so

Old 09-05-16, 08:16 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

The dealers get reimbursed by Lexus corporate for these services, so I'm sure another dealer would welcome your business.
Old 09-05-16, 09:48 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 716 Likes on 524 Posts

I think you are right, just call and ask the nearest dealer. I can't imagine it will matter.

I have seen on this forum that many Lexus owners take their cars to Toyota dealers for routine service such as 5k or simple oil changes, especially in areas where the nearest Lexus dealer may be hundreds of miles away. Some also take them to Toyota for cost reasons as Lexus charges a premium for service.
Old 09-05-16, 10:06 AM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought mine thats over 2 hours away. I have no intention of returning unless there a recall or warrenty work. Ive already called the Toyota dealer locally and they will service the car, it even enters the info in the system...
Old 09-05-16, 10:19 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 225 Likes on 179 Posts

Any Lexus dealer will honor your first two complimentary services. The dealer I usually purchase my cars from are about an hour away, and I always service at the dealer in my town that's only 15 minutes away. Nowhere does it say that you have to take your car to the dealer you purchased your car at for the first two services.
Old 09-05-16, 10:24 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

makes sense - I will do that too!
now I see that the first service is pretty much just tire rotation and checking stuff
2nd oil change, tire rotation and checking.
So both are pretty easy for them to do , especially if they then earn your business for the long term.

Originally Posted by dchar
Any Lexus dealer will honor your first two complimentary services. The dealer I usually purchase my cars from are about an hour away, and I always service at the dealer in my town that's only 15 minutes away. Nowhere does it say that you have to take your car to the dealer you purchased your car at for the first two services.
Old 09-05-16, 10:56 AM
5Ws
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most def. I bought my Lexus from Lexus of New Orleans. However, I live in South Carolina. I emphasized I didn't plan to drive back to NOLA for the 5K and 10K services. Sales guy and the Finance and Service managers assured me that ANY Lexus dealer will honor the first 2 services.

While I trust these guys, I also called Lexus of Columbia. They also agreed to perform the 5K and 10 K services without charge. The service guy said any Lexus will perform the 2 services. If there is confusion, they can call the dealer from which you purchased the car for clarification.

Note: I recommend you write down the features you want changed in your car, so this can be addressed at the 5K visit. I had the dealer enable the "windows down/roof open" feature, when holding unlock on the remote (I did this at 100 miles, which was done as a courtesy). I will likely have the dealer change the "lane change signal" to 5 rather than 3 blinks and also have the rear shade "stay up" when I put the car in reverse. I have techstream, but I think I'll just let the dealer handle it.

Richard
Old 09-05-16, 11:01 AM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Can you explain Techstream, what its for.. How much etc?
Old 09-05-16, 11:46 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

+1

This is what we have done. No problems getting the comp services done at non selling dealer.
Old 09-05-16, 11:52 AM
5Ws
Rookie

Originally Posted by Brent1944
Can you explain Techstream, what its for.. How much etc?
I'm sure others can answer this question much better than I can. In short, Techstream Lite is a way to hook your computer to the car, to change "dealer only" settings and troubleshoot codes, check voltages, flash ECU, etc. If you have a locksmith license (or whatever), you can even add keys with the Security Professional version.

The Mongoose cable runs about $500 and 2 day access to Standard Techstream Lite should run about $15. It's $55 for the Pro Diagnostics or Security Pro version. Beware of the computer requirements.
http://www.drewtech.com/mongoose/toyota2.html

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo...oyota.com%252F

My personal experience is very limited. My Fiancé's 09 Camry came with 1 master key from the Used Car dealer. A "friend of a friend" who has the $50 knock off Techstream let me borrow his/hers. Knock off's run about $50 on Amazon or ebay. I bought a $20 key from ebay, had dealer cut key $10 from VIN (not really necessary). I then erased the immobilizer and remote bindings for all but the Master Key I had in the ignition, so that the missing key(s) would no longer work to start the car. I then performed the immobilizer and remote binding for the new key. Her car does not have a "Smart" key, so it was fairly easy. The Ebay key is now her main key, and it has been working w/o issue for >1 year.

The knock offs use cheap cables and pirated Techsteam Lite software. I would not officially endorse using them and would sweat if someone plugged it into my new Lexus.

I ramble; I know. Just my thoughts.

Richard
Old 09-05-16, 08:50 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Good point about writing down the things I would want them to change that cannot be user-changed
However - about the Power Rear Shade doing down in Reverse - this has already been annoying me. I had to stop by the dealership today to turn in some remaining paperwork on my trade, so I asked if this could be changed - per the Tech person's answer, they say they are not allowed to deactivate this as it is a safety issue..

Originally Posted by 5Ws
Most def. I bought my Lexus from Lexus of New Orleans. However, I live in South Carolina. I emphasized I didn't plan to drive back to NOLA for the 5K and 10K services. Sales guy and the Finance and Service managers assured me that ANY Lexus dealer will honor the first 2 services.

While I trust these guys, I also called Lexus of Columbia. They also agreed to perform the 5K and 10 K services without charge. The service guy said any Lexus will perform the 2 services. If there is confusion, they can call the dealer from which you purchased the car for clarification.

Note: I recommend you write down the features you want changed in your car, so this can be addressed at the 5K visit. I had the dealer enable the "windows down/roof open" feature, when holding unlock on the remote (I did this at 100 miles, which was done as a courtesy). I will likely have the dealer change the "lane change signal" to 5 rather than 3 blinks and also have the rear shade "stay up" when I put the car in reverse. I have techstream, but I think I'll just let the dealer handle it.

Richard
Old 09-06-16, 07:08 PM
5Ws
Rookie

Dang. Sorry to hear about that. Hopes a little dashed.

PDF list of features that can be customized.
http://www.lexus.com/documents/broch...tion-guide.pdf
Old 09-06-16, 07:57 PM
bostonsnow
Advanced

thanks for that handout - interesting - per item #33, it does seem to be an option that dealer can change for you.
Maybe the guy who told me this just didn't feel like doing it......
I will try asking at the 6 month service visit

Originally Posted by 5Ws
Dang. Sorry to hear about that. Hopes a little dashed.

PDF list of features that can be customized.
http://www.lexus.com/documents/broch...tion-guide.pdf
Old 09-07-16, 05:25 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by bostonsnow
I bought my ES300h from a dealer that is about an hour drive away in the best of traffic, not convenient for the long term for sure, but not the greatest even for 1st and 2nd service. Do I have to go to dealer where I purchased the car?

Wonder if I can ask a nearer dealer to honor the 2 complimentary services with the assumption that I will keep going there afterwards.......has anyone done this?
I guess -it never hurts to ask.... I will probably do so
Already answered.
1- You can go whereever you wish for service. Sales will not report you to service and "black list" you.
the dealers make more off service anyway.

2- It may encourage your dealer's sales dept to negotiate better in the future to get your business back. I just had this happen in swapping out my wife's ES.('10 to a '16)

As I've told my kids, Cars are a commodity item, call (now internet) every dealer within 100mi (or pick your distance) and find one willing to deal. My son just did this with a VW Golf R, dealers wanted over sticker for used ones in the end he picked one up for $150 over sticker from a dealer an hour and a half away