ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

That's a Wrap

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-16, 09:24 AM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks for all of the comments and compliments. As I said, I know it's not for everyone, especially the Satin and Matte finishes.
It will be a little more work to maintain as these types of finishes can stain easily from bugs and bird droppings, but I don't have to worry about waxing my car for the next few years.
Just need to wash as I normally would and use 70% isopropyl alcohol to rejuvenate the finish occasionally and the finish should look good for the next few years.

Last edited by Ratchey; 10-21-16 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-21-16, 09:28 AM
sirdimarco
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

You did the wrap yourself?
Old 10-21-16, 09:49 AM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sirdimarco
You did the wrap yourself?
I did it with a friend up in Boise who owns a graphics shop. (I used to work for him installing graphics) This is not a project I would tackle on my own without some experience working with wrapping vinyl. (Honestly, even with the experience I have, which is minimal, I wouldn't do this on my own after having completed it)

Doing a hood or other relatively flat surfaces like the doors are fairly easily and could be done by almost anyone with a little patience. Areas like the rear bumper and the front bumper areas are extremely difficult to get the vinyl to lay flat. We spent a full day just on those 3 pieces.
Old 10-21-16, 11:55 AM
sirdimarco
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ratchey
I did it with a friend up in Boise who owns a graphics shop. (I used to work for him installing graphics) This is not a project I would tackle on my own without some experience working with wrapping vinyl. (Honestly, even with the experience I have, which is minimal, I wouldn't do this on my own after having completed it)

Doing a hood or other relatively flat surfaces like the doors are fairly easily and could be done by almost anyone with a little patience. Areas like the rear bumper and the front bumper areas are extremely difficult to get the vinyl to lay flat. We spent a full day just on those 3 pieces.
I see. I want to get into wrapping but not sure if I want to use my RC for practice. lol
Old 10-21-16, 12:49 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sirdimarco
I see. I want to get into wrapping but not sure if I want to use my RC for practice. lol
Other than cutting the paint it you don't use knifeless tape, you really can't damage the vehicle. There are some really good classes out there by the manufactures on how to wrap. You can learn some from the internet, but until you actually play with the vinyl, you will never understand how it reacts and how to read it.

Best thing to do is get a friend to donate his car, (make sure the paint is in good condition) and practice on it and provide him with free wrap.
Old 10-21-16, 02:53 PM
sirdimarco
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ratchey
Other than cutting the paint it you don't use knifeless tape, you really can't damage the vehicle. There are some really good classes out there by the manufactures on how to wrap. You can learn some from the internet, but until you actually play with the vinyl, you will never understand how it reacts and how to read it.

Best thing to do is get a friend to donate his car, (make sure the paint is in good condition) and practice on it and provide him with free wrap.
Awesome. I will be going this route. Thank you for your help!
Old 11-17-16, 01:10 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

That looks awesome. It's almost like ultra sonic blue but even shinier. I was thinking of using a dark gray matte wrap to do my mirrors, roof and front grille to make my 2014 look like the facelift 2016 cars. Any tips for an absolute newbie? I assume the mirrors and grille could be a pain because they're not flat pieces.
Old 11-17-16, 12:18 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chromedome
That looks awesome. It's almost like ultra sonic blue but even shinier. I was thinking of using a dark gray matte wrap to do my mirrors, roof and front grille to make my 2014 look like the facelift 2016 cars. Any tips for an absolute newbie? I assume the mirrors and grille could be a pain because they're not flat pieces.
It's not something I would recommend for someone who has never done it before. My recommendation is to find someone who knows what they are doing to help.
The roof will be moderately easy as it is fairly flat. The mirror is extremely difficult to do as one piece. We ended up doing the main housing as 2 pieces and the base as the third. You need to prestretch the vinyl before applying and let the heat shrink it into place to relieve the stress on the end sections.
As far as the grill, depends on if you mean the slats or the outer trim section.