ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

new tire choices

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-16, 02:30 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by jloftus

225/45r/18 would be for the 18s, and then maybe 225/45r/17 for the 17s ?
The correct size for 18 inch wheels is 225/45-18, but the correct size for an ES with 17 inch wheels is 215/55-17

The last number is the diameter of the wheels.

The first number before the / is the tire width in millimeters. The smaller number after the / is the aspect ratio, which means the % of the tire width that the sidewall height is. That means, in the case of the ES, that the sidewall height of the tires for the 18 inch wheels is about 101 mm, and the sidewall height of the tires for the 17 inch wheels is about 118 mm. The extra 17 mm, which is almost exactly 1 inch, of sidewall height for the tires with 17 inch wheels is what puts more air/cushion between the wheels and the road, which results in a less firm ride.

Also note that the total diameter of the tires is the same for both the 17 inch and 18 inch wheels. The larger sidewall height for the tires with the 17 inch wheels is offset by the smaller wheel size.
Old 11-06-16, 12:51 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I've had both tires, the MXM4 and the Pirelli P7 Plus. get the Pirellis.
SW15LS Thank you for your post and vote for the Pirelli's.... Pirelli's it is.. thanks again.

Poppa
Old 11-06-16, 07:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

My pleasure!

Nothing against the MXM4, they were good tires they just aren't especially good at anything, they're old and outdated and like all Michelins they're really expensive. I've got about 15k miles on my Pirellis now and they're going great.
Old 11-06-16, 02:32 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

Th Primacy MXV4 are sixth on the list below.
However, this list was done last year.

Last edited by peteharvey; 11-06-16 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-06-16, 07:35 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Th Primacy MXV4 are sixth on the list below.
However, this list was done last year.
What is the source of those rankings?

In any case, these ratings would appear to be a very good endorsement for the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus tires. If you have read through the various tire threads on this board over the last few years, you would have gotten the impression that the Michelin MXV4 tires are far and away superior tires to all others, but the reality is that there are a number of other excellent choices with regard to ride comfort, noise, traction, tread wear, etc., and, while the Michelins may well be far superior to the Bridgestone tires that come on many ES vehicles, there are other choices that compare very well to the Michelins, and most of those come with a price well below that of the Michelins.
Old 11-06-16, 08:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

And the bottom line is the MXV4s are no longer being made.
Old 11-06-16, 09:23 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 457 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
What is the source of those rankings?

In any case, these ratings would appear to be a very good endorsement for the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus tires. If you have read through the various tire threads on this board over the last few years, you would have gotten the impression that the Michelin MXV4 tires are far and away superior tires to all others, but the reality is that there are a number of other excellent choices with regard to ride comfort, noise, traction, tread wear, etc., and, while the Michelins may well be far superior to the Bridgestone tires that come on many ES vehicles, there are other choices that compare very well to the Michelins, and most of those come with a price well below that of the Michelins.
Tirerack.com

I've actually test driven the ES with Bridgestone Turanza ER30 or 33's, and they weren't too bad - though they obviously score very badly at tirerack.com .
Old 11-07-16, 07:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Tirerack.com

I've actually test driven the ES with Bridgestone Turanza ER30 or 33's, and they weren't too bad - though they obviously score very badly at tirerack.com .
They get loud very quickly. Not bad at the onset, but by 5k miles they're loud.
Old 11-07-16, 09:47 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, I just went out and checked. They're indeed Michelin, MXV4 or something like that. I wonder if people would make fun of me
if I went over to the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus tires, even though I only have 7K miles on them.

I'd really like a softer ride. Maybe I could sell the old tires to someone, or back to the dealer?
Old 11-07-16, 09:48 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

What do you think Lexonians?
Old 11-07-16, 09:59 AM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Well its your car and your money, do what you like. I replaced the Bridgestones on my new '14 ES with Michelin MXV4s at 400 miles. Sold the near new Turanzas on craigs list. Made me happy

FWIW, Michelin Primacy MXV4s are still available at Sams Club and I expect other big box stores.
Old 11-07-16, 11:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Well, I just went out and checked. They're indeed Michelin, MXV4 or something like that. I wonder if people would make fun of me
if I went over to the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus tires, even though I only have 7K miles on them.

I'd really like a softer ride. Maybe I could sell the old tires to someone, or back to the dealer?
I replaced my Bridgestones on the LS with 9k miles on them with the Pirellis.

Now, if I had the Primacy MXV4 like you do I would not have. The Pirellis aren't going to be appreciably smoother and quieter than those tires. I would run those until they wear out then I'd buy the Pirellis.
Old 11-07-16, 12:20 PM
jloftus
Pit Crew

OK, so the difference is not that great. I guess I'll wait. The ride is pretty good. Everyone who rides in the car remarks how 'smooth' it is.

I guess I must have gotten used to it to the point that I've taken it for granted. Now when I ride in most other cars I feel like I'm riding in

a tin can sometimes by comparison. I have relatives who drive Impalas and always boast about how advanced they are. I was impressed at first. I

even test drove one. But after driving the Lexus for four months now, I can't believe how rough the ride is in my cousin's Impala.
Old 11-07-16, 12:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I guess I must have gotten used to it to the point that I've taken it for granted. .
This is absolutely the case. When all you drive is the Lexus you do start to take the ride, refinement and quietness for granted and it stops impressing you as much. Once you drive something else and then come back to the Lexus, all over again you realize how nice it really rides. Same is true in my LS.
Old 11-08-16, 01:03 PM
Endzone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, the Michelin Primacy is a very good tire.

Quick Reply: new tire choices