ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

new tire choices

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-16, 10:34 AM
amphiprion
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
... now having said that I cannot say that I have been 'Wow'ed " by the tires... after reading all the reviews on tirerack and the Perilli being rated the #1 grand touring tire, I guess I was expecting to say, man this is the best riding tire ever... but I think I was expecting a "glass like" ride... It is also possible that I might have just gotten spoiled by the Yokohama Geolander H/T Go56 tires on my 4 Runner. For the week prior to getting pirelli's installed I drove the 4 runner with the new yokohama tires to st. louis and back for my dad's funeral ( over 1500 miles altogether, and the Yoke's shockekd me... maybe the smoothest and quitest truck / suv tire I've ever owned.... you suv owners, these yokahama's are incredible... very smooth and extreemly quiet... noticed on the display tonight that all 4 tires were carrying around 36 to 37 lbs psi... I'll probably lower them to around 31 to 32 psi and see if that helps any... it should make some difference..... as for noise, on the "concrete" hiway I thought they were a bit louder than what I was expecting, again, not bad at all, just expected a bit better.. on blacktop... can't hardly hear them.... so I'll let some air out tomorrow and see if that makes any difference... Up until now I have always been a Michelin guy.. Just curious if any of you guys have had the Michelin MXM4 and or the Pirelli, which tire you think is the smoothest ride and quiet....
I had the MXM4s immediately before the Pirellis and did not like them as well. They were louder, and quickly got progressively worse after 5,000 miles. They also did not ride as smoothly over bumps. Originally, I had the Turanza EL400s which were original, and those were awful. Out of the three, the Pirellis win for ride comfort.

I would definitely suggest lowering the pressure down to 33. A few lbs make a lot of difference on these low profile tires as far as being able to absorb bumps well.

Like you, my other vehicle is an SUV and I've made some conscious comparisons between the two with respect to ride quality even though it isn't a fair one to make, it is very insulated from road and tire noise as well as bumps. But the Pirellis have certainly narrowed the gap.

Lexus/Toyota made a company wide move towards less isolation 5 years ago which they are now reversing. There is a good article where Akio Toyoda says as much. I'll see if I can dig that up. I guess Lexus "tomb" or "vault" like silence may not have translated over as a positive image that the company wanted to keep. Either way, from what refreshed ES owners are reporting, and what Lexus' own marketing says, they are quieting and calming the cabin even further than it already was.

My guess is that if you were to look up equivalent suspension part numbers between the 13-15 ES and the 16+ that they have changed.

Last edited by amphiprion; 11-27-16 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-29-16, 07:14 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I wonder if that's really true? I heard they had tightened the suspension around 2013 because a new guy had taken over. And then a lot of customers

complained/ went with other brands, so they responded by loosening it up a bit starting in 2016.

I have a 2016, and never rode in a prior year model, so I have no basis for a comparison.
Old 11-30-16, 06:04 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 642 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by jloftus
I wonder if that's really true? I heard they had tightened the suspension around 2013 because a new guy had taken over. And then a lot of customers

complained/ went with other brands
, so they responded by loosening it up a bit starting in 2016.

I have a 2016, and never rode in a prior year model, so I have no basis for a comparison.
That logic doesn't make sense. Look at sales for years 2013 through 2015. 2013 an 2014 were the highest since 2007. 2015 started to tail off a bit, but still respectable.
Old 12-01-16, 01:19 PM
Maljunulo
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The Altimax RT43 look relatively inexpensive.

Can someone comment on why?
Old 12-01-16, 03:21 PM
Endzone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still enjoying the P7's on my 2003 Avalon. They have about 1,000 miles on them. It's quiet as a church mouse inside the car. I think they handle very well too. What I think about them at 50,000 miles? I don't know that yet.

Last edited by Endzone; 12-01-16 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-01-16, 03:30 PM
Endzone
Driver School Candidate

Still enjoying the P7's on my 2003 Avalon. They have about 1,000 miles on them. It's quiet as a church mouse inside the car. I think they handle very well too. What I think about them at 50,000 miles? I don't know that yet.

When I got the P7's, that guy at discount tire said that the Yokohama 740's were just as good a tire as Michelin MXV4. I don't know if this is some kind of tire made specifically for Discount Tire or not.
Old 12-01-16, 09:40 PM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Well I finally got around to lowering the air pressure in my new Perilli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus tires.... when I had them installed last week I was a little disappointed with the ride.... there was no doubt that they rode smoother and quieter than the bridgestone turanza's that came on the car, but with all the hype about the Perilli's, I thought they would ride better than they did... checked the air pressure and the psi in the tires ranged from 36 to 38... Lowered them all to around 32 ( cold ) this morning... within a mile they heated up to 33 to 34, but the ride was much much smoother.... don't remember who told me, but somebody on here said lowering just a pound or two on low profile tires would make a difference... they were right... whoever that was, thanks for the tip... I'm now getting the ride I expected from the Pirelli's.... noise was not an issue with the pirelli's... they were nice and quiet from the get go... have not driven them in any rain yet, but right now very happy with them.

Poppa
Old 12-02-16, 05:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

You're welcome
Old 12-01-19, 08:08 PM
LMCrow
Driver School Candidate

Default Wish I'd gone with MXM4's on my 18" wheels

My tire experience for what its worth. My 2016 ES 350 came with 18" wheels and OEM Bridgestone Turanzas with 24k on them. Possibly the noisiest tire I've ever owned and felt stiff. Although the tread was still very good, I replaced all 4 tires after driving ~400 miles on them with Perilli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus tires. My cold tire inflation for both brands was 33 psi (with $50 calibrated pressure gauge) and I've put on ~3.5k miles on the Perillis. Noise: to me the Perilli's were every bit as noisy as the Turanzas. Both were quiet on very smooth roads and both made listening to conversations on the radio at freeway speeds on rough roads no worth trying. They were both that loud. Ride: The Perillis seemed a little less stiff but my sense was 1 or 2 psi less of inflation pressure made a much bigger difference than this change in tires. On the down side, the Pirellis really grab / track in concrete freeway grooves pulling the car side to side. I've played with tire pressure but it hasn't affected the tires tracking with the freeway groove. Launch: When I need to jump in on fast moving heavy traffic, I've had the Perillis lose traction at launch decidedly worse than the Turanzas. I would have bought the MXV4's if they still made them. My tire guy warned me that some customers have had lower than expected life out of the MXM4's so I stayed away. But now I'm guessing the potential lower life might be due to a softer rubber that might have been quieter. IF my wallet wasn't feeling the pain of just replacing the tires I'd try the MXM4s. I've owned a lot of Michelins in the past and feel they had better launch, no tracking (as long as not under inflated) and certainly much quieter. Now I'm hoping the Perillis I just put on wear faster than expected. Best of luck to you on your tire choice
Old 12-01-19, 10:02 PM
madsen203
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Agreed. Perilli p7 sucks

Originally Posted by LMCrow
My tire experience for what its worth. My 2016 ES 350 came with 18" wheels and OEM Bridgestone Turanzas with 24k on them. Possibly the noisiest tire I've ever owned and felt stiff. Although the tread was still very good, I replaced all 4 tires after driving ~400 miles on them with Perilli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus tires. My cold tire inflation for both brands was 33 psi (with $50 calibrated pressure gauge) and I've put on ~3.5k miles on the Perillis. Noise: to me the Perilli's were every bit as noisy as the Turanzas. Both were quiet on very smooth roads and both made listening to conversations on the radio at freeway speeds on rough roads no worth trying. They were both that loud. Ride: The Perillis seemed a little less stiff but my sense was 1 or 2 psi less of inflation pressure made a much bigger difference than this change in tires. On the down side, the Pirellis really grab / track in concrete freeway grooves pulling the car side to side. I've played with tire pressure but it hasn't affected the tires tracking with the freeway groove. Launch: When I need to jump in on fast moving heavy traffic, I've had the Perillis lose traction at launch decidedly worse than the Turanzas. I would have bought the MXV4's if they still made them. My tire guy warned me that some customers have had lower than expected life out of the MXM4's so I stayed away. But now I'm guessing the potential lower life might be due to a softer rubber that might have been quieter. IF my wallet wasn't feeling the pain of just replacing the tires I'd try the MXM4s. I've owned a lot of Michelins in the past and feel they had better launch, no tracking (as long as not under inflated) and certainly much quieter. Now I'm hoping the Perillis I just put on wear faster than expected. Best of luck to you on your tire choice
I completely agree with this post. The P7 are noisy and sensitive. Wish I went with the Michelin’s—even the MXM4’s. Not sure why this P7 tire has such high regards.

I have 30k on the P7 now and they still have a lot of tread left. This is both a blessing and a curse—great for the price but damn if I could come up with a reason valid enough to change them out ASAP.
Old 12-02-19, 02:13 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Funny that this thread resurfaced.. Just this past weekend we were driving home on our thanksgiving trip and I mentioned to my wife that I was starting to notice the Pirelli's were beginning to ride a little rouger and were becoming a little noisier.. I put my P7's on back in 2016 and just now have a smidge over 20K miles on them. I don't usually get more than 30K out of a set of tires.. that may have something to do with the fact that the tires are V rated ( up to 149 mph ).. Now that I've had the tires for over 3 years I can pretty much say right now that when its time to get another set of tires, it won't be Pirelli's...... If Michelin has a new "softer " riding tire out then I may try that... also considering Yokohama's Avid Ascend.... Have several friends who have them and they love them them.. also think I'm going to go from a V rated tire to an H rated tires...don't believe I've ever had my car up over 80 mph... don't need a tire capable of running nearly 150 mph... even the H rated tire is good up to 130 mph.
Old 12-02-19, 11:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

My Pirellis are worn down to 4/32nds and have about 35k miles on them and they're still super quiet. I know the ES has a good deal more tire noise In general than the LS, but still having had multiple sets of these on different cars your experience surprises me. That experience includes replacing a set of Primacy MXM4s with them, and they're definitely softer and quieter. Have they been rotated properly?

I wouldn't go to an H rated tire. The suspension geometry is designed around a V rated tire, and V rated tires actually have softer rubber than H rated tires, typically they ride better and are quieter.
The following users liked this post:
Poppa (12-03-19)
Old 12-03-19, 11:11 AM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 155 Posts

Primacy MXV4 all the way. I have them in my 17 ES350 (16K miles) and they are guiet. Will definitely get the same after this set runs out.
My wife's 08 RX350 has a set of Michelin Latitude Tour and they are great tire as well.
The following users liked this post:
Poppa (12-04-19)
Old 12-04-19, 03:13 AM
Albo
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

When I decided to switch my turanzas out 10months ago I went with continental DWS. No complaints here. Quiet, havnt lost traction on launch, and so far the snow grip is pretty awesome. I know its early and I've put only 10k miles on them, but I'd buy again
Old 12-05-19, 01:11 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Originally Posted by Albo
When I decided to switch my turanzas out 10months ago I went with continental DWS. No complaints here. Quiet, havnt lost traction on launch, and so far the snow grip is pretty awesome. I know its early and I've put only 10k miles on them, but I'd buy again

Albo... how's the ride / comfort quality on your continentals?

Quick Reply: new tire choices