Sirius XM goofup

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-16, 08:22 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Sirius XM goofup

Hello Lexonians,

I was wondering if this happened to anyone. I got a new lease on my ES 350 about 3 months ago, and called Sirius to take the radio service off
the old 2013 Accord I had traded in. I got the usual 3 month 'trial subscription' to Sirius XM on the ES 350.

I went online last week to sign up for a 6 momth deal with them, gave them my CC info, etc.

Now on my credit card just appeared a bill for $233. I called them, and (Ikind of thought it was this) of course they admitted they had
never cancelled the radio on the old car, and effectively I am now paying for the Satellite radio for TWO cars - one of which I don't own.

When I called them I got some call center, the lady seemed out of it and she appeared to be trying to sell me on a Third deal - some kind of relocatable
account that I can use on 'any device'. (including the two cars, even though I only own one).

I told her I'd think about it, and figured I'd try calling again and hopefully getting a competent person who can just back out the old account subscription.

Geez
Old 11-03-16, 08:24 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

And in the meantime some dude is driving around w a 2013 Accord EX-L V6 and must have been pleasantly surprised to see his satellite radio

inexplicably turned on, for FREE !

:-)
Old 11-03-16, 01:11 PM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thats why i dont want the darn thing period
Old 11-03-16, 01:24 PM
jloftus
Pit Crew

I called again and got someone who seemed at little more competent. I told him I just wanted to cancel 'both accounts'. I mentioned that one
of them was on a car that 'doesn't even belong to me'. Once it was clear I wanted out, he then offered to (finally) cancel the account attached
to the old 2013 Accord, and give me a 'special deal' for one year $99 on the new one. However, he indicated that if I renew the next year
would be like $230.

I figured I might as well go with the $99, and at the end of the year, just call them and tell them I'll cancel, unless they'll go lower.

It was not easy to get him to just give me the discount on the credit card - he kept wanting to keep it as an 'account credit' that I could apply
towards future sales. He said he'll back it out of the credit card. I'll see if that really happens, but if it doesn't in a few days, I'll call and
cancel AGAIN, this time for good.
Old 11-03-16, 07:59 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

You should be aware of a couple of things - never give them a credit card, always insist that they bill and then pay with your own check. They will charge you I think $2 for this arrangement. And then after you sign up go online with them and turn off auto-renew or whatever it is called. And even then, when you get billed for the next year you must call and cancel or you will be renewed at the high rate for a minimum of one month. And lastly, you can't call and say cancel on the first of next month or whatever, they say you can only cancel on the day you are calling. But eventually you will get transferred to a retention counselor or sometone who will ask you why you are cancelling and you will say because it is too expensive. Even if they first say that you can't get a discounted rate for a second year they will quickly get you back to something like the $99 rate you want. It is a pain but I've dealt with them this way for 10 years.

Dave Mac
Old 11-04-16, 06:43 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Thanks. Unfortunately they already have a CC number. I had no idea they were so .... aggressive. But I suppose it makes sense, lots of
companies make good $$$ on the 'auto renewal' at a higher rate thing.

I would really just give it up, but I really like a lot of those channels, and would miss them. They really do enrich the driving experience.

Thanks again for the hard- earned advice.

John L
Old 11-04-16, 08:01 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

No different than internet or cable companies that "got you" with their auto renewal at the regular rates.
Old 11-04-16, 09:48 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by jloftus
Thanks. Unfortunately they already have a CC number. I had no idea they were so .... aggressive. But I suppose it makes sense, lots of
companies make good $$$ on the 'auto renewal' at a higher rate thing.

I would really just give it up, but I really like a lot of those channels, and would miss them. They really do enrich the driving experience.

Thanks again for the hard- earned advice.

John L
You can log in to your Sirius/XM account and cancel the credit card that listed in your profile. I did that a while back and it worked.
Old 11-04-16, 01:45 PM
Zipit555
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree and never give them CC. I have even been able to get them to waive the $2 paper invoice fee as well. Pain to call and "cancel" every 6 months to get the promo deal for the next 6 months but saves you big. I get $30/ 6 months. Just have to call on the day or the day before you expire to get for next 6 months.
Old 11-05-16, 04:11 PM
teezee1000
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zipit555
I agree and never give them CC. I have even been able to get them to waive the $2 paper invoice fee as well. Pain to call and "cancel" every 6 months to get the promo deal for the next 6 months but saves you big. I get $30/ 6 months. Just have to call on the day or the day before you expire to get for next 6 months.
Let this be a lesson to you all never allow any company free reign over your credit cards! I never do auto-pay for anything. Its my money and I need to have full control over it. Like Dave Mac said go to invoice billing, so you can keep your credit card number out of their systems.
Old 11-29-16, 08:48 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Now apparently the Sirius XM saga is not over.

As mentioned above, I got the $99 deal from them on the 2016 Lexus, I verified that my CC was updated correctly.

Now lo and behold. I checked another credit card (which must have been attached to the dead account), and they also billed that one early this month

for $36 dollars. I called the cancellation number, the guy put me on hold for so long I had to hang up. Will try again this afternoon.

So they're essentially billing two credit cards, and I suspect they still have the old account active. I was told the MC was for one year ($99),
and the AMEX was a '6 months promotional' deal for $36, both starting on around Nov 1.
Old 11-29-16, 09:10 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jloftus
Now apparently the Sirius XM saga is not over.

As mentioned above, I got the $99 deal from them on the 2016 Lexus, I verified that my CC was updated correctly.

Now lo and behold. I checked another credit card (which must have been attached to the dead account), and they also billed that one early this month

for $36 dollars. I called the cancellation number, the guy put me on hold for so long I had to hang up. Will try again this afternoon.

So they're essentially billing two credit cards, and I suspect they still have the old account active. I was told the MC was for one year ($99),
and the AMEX was a '6 months promotional' deal for $36, both starting on around Nov 1.
If you haven't already, update your payment options and delete those cards from their system - you gotta watch these folks closely (like you are - good job!).
Old 11-29-16, 10:38 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

I just went to the page. I only see one credit card there - yet I know they were posting to two. Not sure what to do.

The MC card is there, but not the AMEX. I'm sure they were using an AMEX in the past, for older cars.

Also, there doesn't appear to be any option to 'remove' a card, only to update the info.

Sigh.....