ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

help with front led turn signals install

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-16, 09:20 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default help with front led turn signals install

hey, has anyone on this forum done a front led turn signal conversion on there 6ES. if so can you guys tell how you did it, i tried going through the wheel well and it was a PITA. so any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-03-16, 11:09 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

With all the changes, add-ons, and deletions you're trying to do with your car I would strongly suggest you get the shop manual for your car. Then you'd be able to see photos and detailed instructions.
Old 11-03-16, 11:38 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bc6152
With all the changes, add-ons, and deletions you're trying to do with your car I would strongly suggest you get the shop manual for your car. Then you'd be able to see photos and detailed instructions.
Well going through the wheel well is what the manual said so...........!
Old 11-03-16, 01:09 PM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

AGAIN................why change all this ....First of all LED turn signals dont work because of hyper flash, so u either need replays or very expensive bulbs that have the relay built in, then not sure they work correctly.....Just change the back up lights and the interior bulbs and puddle lights and leave it alone..My opinion of course.......Sounds like what I did as a kid with my 57 Chevy.
Old 11-03-16, 01:18 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Brent1944
AGAIN................why change all this ....First of all LED turn signals dont work because of hyper flash, so u either need replays or very expensive bulbs that have the relay built in, then not sure they work correctly.....Just change the back up lights and the interior bulbs and puddle lights and leave it alone..My opinion of course.......Sounds like what I did as a kid with my 57 Chevy.
I did the back and have a load resistor on both sides. So as for the front it's a simple bulb swap as the front won't require the resistor. And have you changed the puddle light?
Old 11-03-16, 02:48 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by imrankh24
I did the back and have a load resistor on both sides. So as for the front it's a simple bulb swap as the front won't require the resistor. And have you changed the puddle light?
To change the puddle lights in the mirrors, you have to have a strong soul.
Grab the outer edge of the glass and pull towards the car as far as it will go. Then reach as far back behind the glass as you can and carefully pull away. There are 4 sets of double clips and some white paste holding it in place. Be very careful as it isn't hard to break the glass ($500 + part)
There are 5 screw visible. Only 4 need to come out. The lower one closest to the vehicle can stay.
Carefully separate the back mirror cover and pay attention to how the turn signal and puddle lights are attached. There is no screw holding them in. They can be difficult to set back into place.
Replace the bulb and reverse the process. The puddle light is difficult to set into place. There is a small recess on the back of the light housing that fits in a weird way. Pay attention to how you take it out.
Reinstall everything, then with the mirror glass, you need to try to look behind it to align the clips closest to the car. Then carefully press against the mirror towards the center until you hear it snap into place. Then pull on each corner of the glass to make sure you got all 4 clips connected.

For the door puddle lights, you need to remove the door panel to access the clips to pop the lights out. Use your finger to release the clip. Using a tool will most likely break the clip. (I know this first hand and so far I haven't found an adhesive that will reattach the clip)
Then take the light apart, replace the bulb, put the door panel back in place, making sure the wiring can be reached through the hole and that the wiring didn't get caught below the door panel (can you tell I have done this a few times)
Then reattach the harness and carefully insert the light housing, harness side first, back into the hole.
Old 11-03-16, 02:55 PM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes I did the puddle lights... I had to disassemble the whole mirror assemby...
Old 11-03-16, 03:13 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ratchey
To change the puddle lights in the mirrors, you have to have a strong soul.
Grab the outer edge of the glass and pull towards the car as far as it will go. Then reach as far back behind the glass as you can and carefully pull away. There are 4 sets of double clips and some white paste holding it in place. Be very careful as it isn't hard to break the glass ($500 + part)
There are 5 screw visible. Only 4 need to come out. The lower one closest to the vehicle can stay.
Carefully separate the back mirror cover and pay attention to how the turn signal and puddle lights are attached. There is no screw holding them in. They can be difficult to set back into place.
Replace the bulb and reverse the process. The puddle light is difficult to set into place. There is a small recess on the back of the light housing that fits in a weird way. Pay attention to how you take it out.
Reinstall everything, then with the mirror glass, you need to try to look behind it to align the clips closest to the car. Then carefully press against the mirror towards the center until you hear it snap into place. Then pull on each corner of the glass to make sure you got all 4 clips connected.

For the door puddle lights, you need to remove the door panel to access the clips to pop the lights out. Use your finger to release the clip. Using a tool will most likely break the clip. (I know this first hand and so far I haven't found an adhesive that will reattach the clip)
Then take the light apart, replace the bulb, put the door panel back in place, making sure the wiring can be reached through the hole and that the wiring didn't get caught below the door panel (can you tell I have done this a few times)
Then reattach the harness and carefully insert the light housing, harness side first, back into the hole.
Thanks dude. Any help fir the turn signals?
Old 11-03-16, 03:36 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Thanks dude. Any help fir the turn signals?
Nope. If you can't access them through the fender well, it means removing the bumper and headlamps. Something I have not been willing to do so far. Removing external body panels rarely works out well. They never seem to fit back together the same.
Old 11-03-16, 03:50 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ratchey
Nope. If you can't access them through the fender well, it means removing the bumper and headlamps. Something I have not been willing to do so far. Removing external body panels rarely works out well. They never seem to fit back together the same.
I removed the bumper with no luck to gain access to the bulbs so there goes that
Old 11-03-16, 04:25 PM
amphiprion
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Am I reading this correctly that the regular, front turn signal bulbs cannot be easily replaced?
Old 11-03-16, 04:36 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

The rear turn signals can be changed out to LED's without relays, resistors or anything other than a new socket. Did it 3 years ago and still going. I posted the equipment previously and it works perfectly without hyper flashing. I did not change the front signals.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...-or-not-2.html

Last edited by bc6152; 11-03-16 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-03-16, 04:43 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

I removed the bumper with no luck to gain access to the bulbs so there goes that
You missed one step. You have to actually pull the headlight assembly out as well. At least that's how it was in the 4Runner and this appears to be set up the same way.
Old 11-03-16, 04:55 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by amphiprion
Am I reading this correctly that the regular, front turn signal bulbs cannot be easily replaced?
That is correct. Toyota/Lexus in their infinite wisdom felt it necessary to stash the signal and parking lights in the inner fender area. So it can't be reached from under the hood. You have to reach it from the fender well in front of the tire and have really small hands and long arms, or you need to pull the bumper and remove the headlight assembly. Neither way is very easy.
Old 11-17-16, 06:04 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Default Replace front turn signal bulbs

Ok to start off I know I've posted previous thread about this with no help at all. I'm back once again because I wanna change my front bulbs to led and I am having hard time getting to them. Can someone please shed some light on this?(oh and please don't post the instructions from the manual)

Quick Reply: help with front led turn signals install