ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

traded my 2013 ES for a 2017 ES

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-16, 10:05 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

There was one issue that I noticed when driving the car home from the dealership.
When I was driving home with the car and when I got up to highway speeds, I immediately heard an annoying high pitched whistling sound. If I had not remembered reading threads in the past about how paint protection film on the driver's side mirror can cause such a whistling sound, I probably would have spent weeks trying to figure out the source of the sound.

As soon as the paint protection film was removed from the driver's side mirror, the sound was completely gone. I'm assuming that it is the case that the aerodynamics on these cars are designed with such precision that even the relatively thin protection film can throw off the aerodynamics and air flow by enough to create whistling sound.

It is also curious that, to get rid of the sound, the film only needs to be removed from the driver's side mirror and not the passenger side mirror. I suspect that the reason is that, to be viewed from the driver's seat, the passenger side mirror is mounted at a different angle from the angle of the driver's side mirror.
Old 11-26-16, 12:10 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 651 Likes on 486 Posts

I've not been on for a few days, so a belated congrats! The car looks great!

You're braver than me, going with a black car. My last one was my last one. I just spent 7 hours hand buffing my red ES, due to it being a bird magnet. I suppose the film may help with that??? Also, having a glass roof is a huge paint saver, as you'll soon discover.

You should take more pic's today. The sun is out over the whole state!
Old 11-26-16, 02:10 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mike728
I've not been on for a few days, so a belated congrats! The car looks great!

You're braver than me, going with a black car. My last one was my last one. I just spent 7 hours hand buffing my red ES, due to it being a bird magnet. I suppose the film may help with that??? Also, having a glass roof is a huge paint saver, as you'll soon discover.

You should take more pic's today. The sun is out over the whole state!
The word must not have gotten out to this part of the state that there was supposed to be sun today. It was overcast through most of the morning and afternoon, but the sun did come out late in the afternoon, and I got out and took a couple of pictures, which I've attached below. Yesterday, I drove the car in the rain. So, it isn't as clean as I'd like it to be, but the dirt doesn't show up too much in the pictures.

This will be the 7th or 8th black car that I've owned. While I know that black shows minor surface scratches more than other colors, I'm not overly concerned about those surface scratches because they can be polished out very easily. What I'm more concerned about is the possibility of deeper scratches (which will be visible with any color) and other more serious damage that can't be polished out and that requires refinishing to be repaired. So many of the colors with today's vehicles are very beautiful, but many of them can present big challenges when paint work is required. I've been cursed with an eye that is drawn to even very minor paint mismatches, and, to me, they are like finger nails scratching on a chalkboard. It even bothers me when I see cars that come out of the factory with bumpers that are painted separately from the rest of the body and where the color is slightly different from the color on the rest of the body. Non-metallic black is about the only color for which paint repairs can easily be matched to a level that is close enough to perfection that even someone with a trained eye isn't likely to easily pick on on the fact that paint work has been done. So, I'm willing to live with having to occasionally polish out minor surface scratches in exchange for knowing that, should paint repairs be needed, I'm not likely to have difficulty accepting a paint match that, to me, isn't perfect.
Attached Thumbnails traded my 2013 ES for a 2017 ES-img_8475-lexus-es-2017-11-26-16.jpg   traded my 2013 ES for a 2017 ES-img_8476-lexus-es-2017-11-26-16.jpg  
Old 11-26-16, 03:46 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
The word must not have gotten out to this part of the state that there was supposed to be sun today. It was overcast through most of the morning and afternoon, but the sun did come out late in the afternoon, and I got out and took a couple of pictures, which I've attached below. Yesterday, I drove the car in the rain. So, it isn't as clean as I'd like it to be, but the dirt doesn't show up too much in the pictures.

This will be the 7th or 8th black car that I've owned. While I know that black shows minor surface scratches more than other colors, I'm not overly concerned about those surface scratches because they can be polished out very easily. What I'm more concerned about is the possibility of deeper scratches (which will be visible with any color) and other more serious damage that can't be polished out and that requires refinishing to be repaired. So many of the colors with today's vehicles are very beautiful, but many of them can present big challenges when paint work is required. I've been cursed with an eye that is drawn to even very minor paint mismatches, and, to me, they are like finger nails scratching on a chalkboard. It even bothers me when I see cars that come out of the factory with bumpers that are painted separately from the rest of the body and where the color is slightly different from the color on the rest of the body. Non-metallic black is about the only color for which paint repairs can easily be matched to a level that is close enough to perfection that even someone with a trained eye isn't likely to easily pick on on the fact that paint work has been done. So, I'm willing to live with having to occasionally polish out minor surface scratches in exchange for knowing that, should paint repairs be needed, I'm not likely to have difficulty accepting a paint match that, to me, isn't perfect.
Uffff I freaking love that front end. Thank god I got a 16. Btw what do you take your pics with
Old 11-26-16, 04:05 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 716 Likes on 524 Posts

Great pictures. That is really a beautiful car and you had just the right lighting conditions to highlight it.
Old 11-26-16, 05:16 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by imrankh24
Uffff I freaking love that front end. Thank god I got a 16. Btw what do you take your pics with
What I really like about the car (compared to my 2013 ES) is the interior and the technology updates plus some of the Ultra Luxury package features. I'm still not in love with the front end, but, after 6 days of ownership, at least, I'm okay with it. Who knows? Maybe I'll come around and be in love with it, too.

I'm a photographer, and I've got more cameras and lenses than I'd like to admit having. Those were taken with a Canon 7D Mark II camera and a 24-70 mm lens, and that combination was used mainly because the camera was handy and the right lens was already mounted to it.

Originally Posted by Ward6096
Great pictures. That is really a beautiful car and you had just the right lighting conditions to highlight it.
Thanks. The most important secret to good photography is using the light properly. Ideally, I would have liked to have gotten sunlight on the side of the car, but the only way to do that would have been to have parked the car sideways in the driveway.
Old 11-26-16, 05:34 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
What I really like about the car (compared to my 2013 ES) is the interior and the technology updates plus some of the Ultra Luxury package features. I'm still not in love with the front end, but, after 6 days of ownership, at least, I'm okay with it. Who knows? Maybe I'll come around and be in love with it, too.

I'm a photographer, and I've got more cameras and lenses than I'd like to admit having. Those were taken with a Canon 7D Mark II camera and a 24-70 mm lens, and that combination was used mainly because the camera was handy and the right lens was already mounted to it.Thanks. The most important secret to good photography is using the light properly. Ideally, I would have liked to have gotten sunlight on the side of the car, but the only way to do that would have been to have parked the car sideways in the driveway.
To much stuff. I take em with my iPhone 7. But weather in jersey has been crappy so far. The only I regret with my car is not getting ul but my color was to rare. So I pretty much have ul with the acception of the rear door shades passenger memory ambient lighting semi aniline leather and thigh support. Btw take full use of those shades.

Last edited by imrankh24; 11-26-16 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-27-16, 11:13 AM
amphiprion
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice shots, especially like the first. Just realizing another thing I like in the refresh... The projectors for both high and low beams. Very minor, but I always thought they should have done that originally.

I have a starfire pearl and have had a minor nick in the bumper due to the very low clearance on the front, and agree that it is pretty much impossible to match. I'm ok with it since I really like the shine on the pearlescent paint.
Old 11-27-16, 01:44 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by amphiprion
Nice shots, especially like the first. Just realizing another thing I like in the refresh... The projectors for both high and low beams. Very minor, but I always thought they should have done that originally.

I have a starfire pearl and have had a minor nick in the bumper due to the very low clearance on the front, and agree that it is pretty much impossible to match. I'm ok with it since I really like the shine on the pearlescent paint.
Yes, the Starfire Pearl and other pearl whites are among the toughest to match. The reason is that the base color and the pearl/metallic are applied in separate steps. The paint formula for each step needs to be exactly right, but, even if it is, if the amount of paint applied in each step is not right or even if the paint gun pressure is not quite right, the final result won't be right. Colors like the Lexus Atomic Silver are even worse because the Atomic Silver is, I believe, a 5 stage pearl finish, and, if any stage is even a bit off, the final result will not be right. Often, when working with multi-stage pearls, the paint technicians will do a multi-stage blend into adjacent panels, but doing that doesn't eliminate the color mismatch. Instead, it just makes the mismatch less likely to be easily noticed, and it also means breaking the factory paint in those adjacent panels, which is never ideal.

As I said before, that is why I really like a non-metallic black. If there is a scratch in the bumper or door or other panel, that panel can be refinished by itself, and the final result should be a great match.
Old 11-29-16, 02:07 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

After having now had the new 2017 ES for a little more than a week, I'm starting to notice some of the more subtle changes/refinements that Lexus has made to the car during the course of the 5 years since the Generation 6 ES was introduced.

For example, with my 2013, if the seat heaters were turned on, they put out so much heat that, even on the lowest setting, the seats were too warm to use after only a few minutes, and the seat heaters needed to be turned off. The amount of heat from the seat heaters in the 2017 is lower. It does take a little longer for the seats to warm up, but the heaters can be used comfortably throughout a cold weather trip.

Similarly, the amount of heat from the heated steering wheel is also at a lower level than on the 2013. While reducing the heat level on the seat heaters was, I think, a good decision, I'm not sure that the amount of heat from the heated steering wheel needed to be reduced.

There is also a positive related to the heated steering wheel. The area that is covered with leather, which is the heated area, on the 2017 is a bit larger than it was on the 2013. That gives the driver a bit more latitude with regard to hand position while still being on the heated portion of the wheel.

While on the topic of the steering wheel, Lexus added a number of controls to the steering wheel, compared to the wheel of the 2013-2015 ES. I'm not sure that I like the additions. Now, the wheel looks, to me, to be too busy, and with so many controls and small buttons, taking one's eye off the road and directing it to the steering wheel is often necessary to make sure that you are pressing the right button. With the 2013-2015 wheel having fewer and larger buttons, it was easier to use the controls without taking one's eyes off of the road.

Also, while I think that the console on the 2017, with the wood trim and softer materials, looks much better than that of the 2013, on the 2013, there was the option to get a wood-trimmed shift ****. That option is no longer available with the 2017. To me, the wood-trimmed shift **** seems to fit better with the rest of the interior trim than does the metallic shift **** on the 2017.

I'm sure that I'll be noticing other subtle changes as I use the car more. For now, I do like most of the changes, but, again, there are a few that I'm not a fan of.
Old 11-29-16, 03:33 PM
amphiprion
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm surprised they reduced both the steering wheel and seat heating... The steering wheel in my 2013 warms up quickly and to a level that is comfortable, they should have left that alone. The seating on the other hand, I never have it over just barely on as it does get too hot. Glad they're adjusting that.

Check that this isn't just the result of being in Eco mode?
Old 11-29-16, 04:01 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by amphiprion
I'm surprised they reduced both the steering wheel and seat heating... The steering wheel in my 2013 warms up quickly and to a level that is comfortable, they should have left that alone. The seating on the other hand, I never have it over just barely on as it does get too hot. Glad they're adjusting that.

Check that this isn't just the result of being in Eco mode?
The changes in the heated seats and steering wheel are definitely not dependent upon being in ECO mode.

The nice thing about the heated seats in the 2013 was that, even on very cold mornings, I could feel welcome heat coming from the seats within 15-20 seconds of turning the car and the seat heater on. The downside, for me, was that there was so much heat that I found that I wanted to turn the seat heater off after a few minutes because, even on the lowest setting, it felt like there was too much heat.

I agree with what you said about the heated steering wheel. It is still okay, but I liked the way that there was more heat from the wheel in the 2013.

I also didn't mention that I'm not sure that I like the re-done information display between the speedometer and the tachometer. Like with the steering wheel, the information display, now, is more cluttered. Not only does it require looking through the clutter to find the information that you are looking for, but much of the added information relates to things about which I don't really need information. Further, the added information in that display is also what led to making the steering wheel more cluttered. At least 4 or 5 of the new buttons on the steering wheel are ones that are now needed to navigate through the extra information that has been added to the information display.

I do admit, though, that whatever changes I don't particularly like are nothing more than examples of 1st world problems.
Old 11-30-16, 06:31 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

>turn the seat heater off after a few minutes
I don't understand this. On my '13 the seat heater control is variable in both the heat and cool directions. Why not just turn the heat level down towards 0 but not off?
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2
Old 11-30-16, 06:52 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pab12
>turn the seat heater off after a few minutes
I don't understand this. On my '13 the seat heater control is variable in both the heat and cool directions. Why not just turn the heat level down towards 0 but not off?
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2
Even when adjusted to the very lowest level, I found that the seat heaters on my 2013 were still putting out too much heat for it to be, to me, comfortable.
Old 11-30-16, 07:46 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The number of controls on the wheel in the 2016 ES does make it 'too busy'. I don't like to use them while I'm on the road, as it requires me to look downwards,

and not pay the same level of attention to the road.

I also found the cruise control stuff a bit tedious to use.

A curious thing: the car seems to always want to default to 'gps mode'. That is, when I turn it on it always gives me that screen that shows a map and your
current position, street names, etc. You always have to manually change it if you want to see the radio settings for example.

But these are '1st world' complaints, lol

Quick Reply: traded my 2013 ES for a 2017 ES