ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Trunk Lip Spoiler - Does it "spoil" the luxury look?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-16, 08:15 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 721 Likes on 528 Posts

I think there may be some confusion by my comment. It isn't going to change handling or downforce and I wasn't suggesting that. It would be ridiculous to think a spoiler on a hybrid would have a performance impact. My point is that perhaps it alters the airflow enough to achieve a fraction of a mile per gallon in better mileage. They exploit every trick possible to maximize mileage on the hybrids. It is merely my speculation that there may be some functional reason Lexus placed them on all hybrids. They wouldn't have had any reason to install them on all hybrids just for appearance. If someone can offer an explanation as to why all the hybrids come with the spoiler please speak up.
Old 12-09-16, 11:02 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Aero tweaks can be for increased downforce or less drag, so it could be possible that Lexus have spoilers on hybrids for cleaner airflow.

On the other hand, there's no difference in the front and side profile between the ES350 and ES300h so the spoiler could just be for styling. We get the ES200 here with a 2.0 four cylinder engine and it has the same exact rear end as the hybrid, with a spoiler and hidden exhaust tip.

Thanks for the warning on the trunk lid holes. Guess I won't be removing the spoiler after all, it's a lot of work to fill up those holes and get a good match on the Starfire Pearl paint.
Old 12-09-16, 11:49 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

Even though there might not be any significant functionality, I think the spoiler really completes the look of the rear of the ES. Every time I see an ES without one, I feel like something is missing. It's subtle enough to not be poser-like or tacky. Like others have said, it also helps differentiate the ES a bit more from the Toyota Camry and Avalon styling.
Old 12-13-16, 09:45 AM
keelaboosa
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the look as well. It's a nice accent to an otherwise boring lump of a trunk lid.
Old 12-13-16, 11:42 AM
Maljunulo
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone who thinks a Lexus is "boring" should perhaps look elsewhere.

But that's, like, just my opinion.

They are beautifully appointed, elegant, relatively quiet, and rather nice riding and driving automobiles.

Anyone who wants a Lexus to be something other than what it is, should buy something else.

Please reread line two.

Last edited by Maljunulo; 12-13-16 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-13-16, 11:57 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Maljunulo

They are beautifully appointed, elegant, relatively quiet, and rather nice riding and driving automobiles.

Anyone who wants a Lexus to be something other than what it is, should buy something else.

Please reread line two.
You my friend have said it perfectly. This goes for all of the Lexus line up with the exception of the rc gs is esp the es. It was never stated that the es is sporty nor is it supposed to be
Old 12-14-16, 06:10 PM
keelaboosa
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please reread line two.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think the car is boring. I said the trunk lid looked boring without the spoiler.
Old 12-15-16, 01:42 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 167 Likes on 119 Posts

As several others have stated, it's a matter of personal preference. When I bought my ES, it just happened that my car came with the spoiler. To me, it add's a little something to the car. Not a game changer by any means, but I prefer the car with the spoiler.
Old 12-15-16, 12:18 PM
5Ws
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratchey
Might want to look again before making that statement...
Gotta agree with Ratchey. I think they look fairly similar from the angle in the image. When I drive up to a new Camry, I sometimes think it's a fellow ES driver.

Richard
Old 12-15-16, 03:04 PM
Maljunulo
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 5Ws
Gotta agree with Ratchey. I think they look fairly similar from the angle in the image. When I drive up to a new Camry, I sometimes think it's a fellow ES driver.

Richard
Aren't Camrys (Camries?) smaller?
Old 12-15-16, 03:30 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 5Ws

Richard
Aren't Camrys (Camries?) smaller?
Personally I don't see it AT ALL I don't what Camry you guys are seeing.
Old 12-16-16, 04:16 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by imrankh24
Personally I don't see it AT ALL I don't what Camry you guys are seeing.
Other than the lower bumper, where the rear door comes up and a slight difference in the trunk, from the rear corner they are almost exactly the same. You must really need your eyes checked to not see a very similar family resemblance. And that pic isn't even a current model of the Lexus. With the exhaust tips and lower plastic valence they are even closer.
Old 12-16-16, 04:25 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ratchey
Other than the lower bumper, where the rear door comes up and a slight difference in the trunk, from the rear corner they are almost exactly the same. You must really need your eyes checked to not see a very similar family resemblance. And that pic isn't even a current model of the Lexus. With the exhaust tips and lower plastic valence they are even closer.
The one in the pic is a 16 hybrid. And the coney has oval exhaust tips. Personally i don't see it. My cousin has a new Camry and the Camry looks like crap compared to my es. Looks a *****box
Old 12-17-16, 03:27 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

I might be buying a aftermarket oem style spoiler for my es. For those how have it do I need to drill or the adhesive enough?
Old 12-17-16, 04:16 PM
Brent1944
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by imrankh24
I might be buying a aftermarket oem style spoiler for my es. For those how have it do I need to drill or the adhesive enough?
There a u tube of it// yes u need to drill holes using a pattern....

Quick Reply: Trunk Lip Spoiler - Does it "spoil" the luxury look?