ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Lexus Enform remote start disappoints

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-16, 06:02 PM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

Another one that agrees.

I have used enform for the first time a week ago. Both of the enform Remote and Apps app are buggy and unreliable.

I tried the remote start once from the fob , but it took so long I said I will never use that again. At least not in San Diego.

But the worst, which really surprises me is the voice command in the vehicle. I use Siri through the nav system to the iPhone. Works a lot better. Go figure.
Old 12-26-16, 12:41 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

I refuse to pay a yearly fee to Lexus for a remote start. As previously mentioned, many manufacturers provide a RS as standard equipment and the engine stays on when one opens the door. There are also many makes of cars where this doesn't occur. I have a 2013 and after a year bought an aftermarket Audiovox unit that provides great range and utilizes the Lexus Smartkey. About $300.00 and NO yearly fee. Now I'm getting ready for a new car and will consider other manufacturers in my search. I just cannot understand why Toyota doesn't make it standard and without fees.
Old 12-28-16, 11:02 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Default the more I learn about the ES, the less enthusiastic I become

Originally Posted by CarToys
Not providing a way to avoid the car shutting off when entering it with the fob after remote starting it is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen in any car, anywhere.

It is also extremely bad for the car in terms of wear and tear on the engine.
If there is absolutely no work-around or no settings, then you're 1,000% right. It IS a horrible design and not quite so great on the starter too.

On a separate note, my 2012 F150 has remote start and only shuts off if I open the hood. I can open the truck's doors all day long and she still stays running. Also, on the F150, there are settings that can be adjusted as far as how long the truck will stay running before shutting off automatically.

If there really is no way to open the door on the Lexus without the engine shutting off, that is really really REALLY SAD design on Toyota/Lexus!
Old 01-05-17, 04:32 PM
bslivken
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed. New owner of '16 NX200T F-Sport and thought the option to remotely start the car via an app on my phone would be useful. SO DISAPPOINTED for all the reasons stated in this thread...

1. Remote Start stops when door is opened???? Whats the point of remote start? If I open a locked door (required to remote start) only way to open is with the key, so why would engine stop when I unlock/open a door?
2. Slow...slow...slow... using the Enform Remote app... really slow. This should be a 5 second process tops....
3. No feedback on remote FOB for remote start success, my remote start on previous cars blinked with a green success or red failure, and it took just a couple presses, not the 10 second process with the Lexus.
4. I was told this was $100/year after the first year of service, but it appears its more like $300 to re-activate the various enform services? I really only need/want the remote start via the app, feel a bit "suckered"
5. Apparently if I dont pay the annual service, the FOB remote start feature no longer works?

Anyway, hope they figure this out and update these "services" - I'm pretty happy about the purchase overall, but this feature is a big thumbs down.
Old 01-05-17, 04:47 PM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
I refuse to pay a yearly fee to Lexus for a remote start. As previously mentioned, many manufacturers provide a RS as standard equipment and the engine stays on when one opens the door. There are also many makes of cars where this doesn't occur. I have a 2013 and after a year bought an aftermarket Audiovox unit that provides great range and utilizes the Lexus Smartkey. About $300.00 and NO yearly fee. Now I'm getting ready for a new car and will consider other manufacturers in my search. I just cannot understand why Toyota doesn't make it standard and without fees.
The only way BMW got customers to renew the annual BMW Assist service was to include it for 4 years with the cost of the vehicle. They made that change back around 2006/7.

If Lexus thinks it is such a good idea, just include it for the length of the warranty 4yr/50k.

For me, $250 per year, per car is ridiculous. Most of it is a novelty that is rarely used. The collision notification, well with a gyroscope in the iphone can't they simply make an app for that?

Last edited by chuckNX; 01-05-17 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-05-17, 04:52 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Not providing a way to avoid the car shutting off when entering it with the fob after remote starting it is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen in any car, anywhere.

This is safety issue. Smart thief can have a cheating smart key. I don't mind about this feature.
Old 01-05-17, 04:55 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by modad
This first cold blast and I am a little more than irritated that my wife's 2012 GMC has dedicated remote start that: keeps running when you open the door, AND (very important feature) turns the heat on high and the seat heaters as well! My 16 ES remote start is so unpredictable that I don't even use it because it just makes me more cranky than being cold
Does the truck keeps running when brake pedal is pressed to drive off?
Old 01-05-17, 04:59 PM
bslivken
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Htony
This is safety issue. Smart thief can have a cheating smart key. I don't mind about this feature.
If the smart thief has a cheating smart key, they would be able to unlock and start the car regardless, so not sure I understand this being a safety issue?
Old 01-06-17, 08:38 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Ford better than Lexus with remote start!

Originally Posted by Htony
Does the truck keeps running when brake pedal is pressed to drive off?
Not sure about his GMC, but on F150, pressing the brake does nothing because you CAN'T shift out of Park unless you have key inserted.

On my 2012 F150, the climate controls can either be pre-programmed via menu settings on dash screen, to be on AUTO (turns on heat if cold outside, or ac turns on if warm outside), or LAST (the climate control will do as when the truck was last shutoff.)

When you walk up to the truck, all the doors are locked until you unlock with keyfob or insert key into door to unlock. You open the door and sit in the truck. You cannot shift the transmission out of park. You cannot play the radio. You cannot do anything except sit in the truck. (Well, you can do other things from there, but this is a family channel, lol). So, until you insert the key into the cylinder and move it to the ACC then the RUN position, everything is basically non-operational, except for the climate control.

Only when you insert the key and turn to the RUN position, you can then shift out of park, play radio, etc.

There is ZERO safety issue and ZERO 'theft' issue with how Ford designed the remote start on my 2012 F150. As previously posted, if you open the hood, the truck shuts off. I learned that a couple months ago when wanting to add wiper fluid while the truck was warming up. I popped the hood and the truck immediately shutoff.

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 01-06-17 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-06-17, 09:20 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Indeed, the Lexus system disappoints, though I use it almost daily.

My sister has a new Murano with factory remote start. She can start it, then go out there, unlock and open doors, load up, etc. all the while the engine keeps running. Once she's ready to go, the car will not go out of park without the key detected inside.
Old 02-20-17, 04:24 PM
westlauren
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down Lexus Enform Remote is terrible

I just got my Lexus 400nx turbo and i am very disappointed in the lexus enform app. i got the car and it was over a week before i was able to even remote start it. No one told me you have to drive the car 2 trips of 15 minutes apiece
before you could even register it and then wait another 48 hours . Who ever heard of such a thing. Then it takes a ridiculously long time for the remote start to work if and when it does. When it does work you would think the lights would come on so you would know that it worked because the app doesn't automatically tell you. And if you try to shut it off with the remote start app it doesn't tell you that it worked either, so its a guessing game.i had three things i wanted with a new car one- heated seats two-back up camera and three, remote start that worked with an app.... That one fell short. i would not renew that after a year unless it works better. i would like it but the way it is working now its nothing but a hassle. The car was very expensive and to have these kind of issues is unheard of to me. My husband has a GMC Truck and his remote app works flawlessly.
lauren
Old 02-20-17, 05:16 PM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by westlauren
I just got my Lexus 400nx turbo and i am very disappointed in the lexus enform app. i got the car and it was over a week before i was able to even remote start it. No one told me you have to drive the car 2 trips of 15 minutes apiece
before you could even register it and then wait another 48 hours . Who ever heard of such a thing. Then it takes a ridiculously long time for the remote start to work if and when it does. When it does work you would think the lights would come on so you would know that it worked because the app doesn't automatically tell you. And if you try to shut it off with the remote start app it doesn't tell you that it worked either, so its a guessing game.i had three things i wanted with a new car one- heated seats two-back up camera and three, remote start that worked with an app.... That one fell short. i would not renew that after a year unless it works better. i would like it but the way it is working now its nothing but a hassle. The car was very expensive and to have these kind of issues is unheard of to me. My husband has a GMC Truck and his remote app works flawlessly.
lauren
I believe yours is a NX200 turbo and yes its really is not worth paying for because it works so poorly I believe this will change because customers are going to complain about this poor excuse of a remote start that Lexus wants us to pay for FOREVER AND FOREVER!! DO YOU REALLY THINK SOMEONE IS GOING PAY FOR THIS YEARLY WHEN THIS CAR IS 20 YEARS OLD
Old 02-20-17, 05:41 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

The Lexus RS system is what it is; POOR! Unfortunately it hasn't changed up to this year - 2017. So, IMO the best alternative is to (1) not buy a Lexus. (2) Install an aftermarket system that utilizes the smartkey and provides dependable service year after year without cost. I'm ready for a new car and will definitely look elsewhere specifically due to the RS issue. Lexus has failed in this department and hopefully management will recognize that there are numerous dissatisfied Lexus owners that want a change. I would hope that someone in authority will be reading this blog so the ball is in your court Lexus. Make some changes!!!
Old 02-21-17, 05:11 PM
pgiinc
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pgiinc
My wife and I both have new Lexus ES300h NX300h and Remote start run with the enform app is so slow to operate and work and what's worse is the key fobob trick to make the car start is hit and miss, For as much money has these cars cost the remote start should work good and fast . Hear me Lexus please make this better
and it only runs 10 min
if I open the trunk it cuts off
if I have the key with me it cuts of when you open the door
all of this disappoints me
can you fix any of it with a update on my cars
Lexus?

2016 ES300h
2015 NX300h

Philip
I don't think Lexus has a right to disable the remote start that is on my car after 12 months I understand that the data and notications phone app with enform cost money and Lexus owns that but they don't own the parts on my car They should not remotely disable the remote key remote starting function that is on my car. without the app this car should still start
Old 02-23-17, 09:29 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pgiinc
I don't think Lexus has a right to disable the remote start that is on my car after 12 months I understand that the data and notications phone app with enform cost money and Lexus owns that but they don't own the parts on my car They should not remotely disable the remote key remote starting function that is on my car. without the app this car should still start
Of course, they will disable Enform after free trial period or you subscirbe at a cost of something like 200.00 a month. Remote start function with your smart key will remain working. Only problem, it's range is not good compared to 3rd party stuffs like some has upto 1 mile range. I installed one myself at a cost of ~300.00, about dozen wiring
under dash.. You can use both remote fob keeping in mind Lexus smart key's range is not as good as additional installed one. Also you can start with smart key hitting lock key 3 times. I ended up carrying two remotes in case I may need a key from smart key. I heard new version facotry remote system has better range than old one.

Quick Reply: Lexus Enform remote start disappoints