ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Economy verses Sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-16, 10:24 PM
400to300H
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Economy verses Sport

Did a search and found nothing, sorry if I missed it, just point me in the right direction if I did...

I'm curious if 300H owners have experimented with the milage sacrifice between, say, sport and economy. I'm content with economy but I also like the sport torque. I know there's normal but still curious the difference between the extremes. TIA
Old 12-10-16, 10:54 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

If the switching of modes in the hybrid is similar to the gas models, then there won't be too much difference in fuel economy between Eco, Normal, or Sport. It's more dependent on your driving style...so driving in Sport mode with a light foot can get you good fuel mileage, and driving in Eco mode with a heavy foot can get you bad fuel mileage. Also, Eco mode turns down the A/C, so you can do that in Sport mode if you want to save that bit more. Just drive in whatever mode you want.
Old 12-11-16, 09:24 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 721 Likes on 528 Posts

I agree with dchar above. I don't think the difference with the 300h will amount to more than 2 to 5 MPG depending on your driving style. If you can afford the ES, you can afford the gas. Drive in whichever mode you enjoy the most and don't give it a second thought.

I thought new this had been discussed recently and found this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...l-economy.html
Old 12-11-16, 09:41 AM
400to300H
Driver

Thanks to you both. Figured it had been discussed, maybe my search skills need work...
Old 12-11-16, 05:51 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

I rarely drive in Sport mode because I find the throttle response too abrupt and the steering is also artificially heavy. Sport lets the AC run cooler during hot days and runs the engine more often for cabin heat in winter; it also pumps up motor voltage to 650V for a ton of torque, if you have enough battery charge. You could probably see lower mpg in winter in Sport. That said, if you have heavy right foot, you'll see lower mpg in whatever mode. I like Eco mode in slow city traffic because it lets me be very precise with the throttle.
Old 12-12-16, 01:59 AM
xclream
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm an ES300h owner for 2 years.

Just out of every day driving observation, for some reason, I find the car in Sport Mode to be more fuel efficient for some unknown reason.

Anyone notice the same thing?
Old 12-13-16, 07:31 PM
400to300H
Driver

Well it's nice to know the modes don't make a big difference on fuel economy. I'm starting to get more used to the car and after experimenting I find myself in Economy mode more often than not. What's interesting is that fuel savings doesn't seem to be the reason why. For lack of a better word I just find Economy mode to be the most 'natural' for the car I'm driving. It seems the smoothest and most fitting mode for a luxury car of the 300Hs' weight and proportions. Take it with a grain of salt as it's probably just me. In my case it's stable mate is an 02 Porsche Boxster, easy access to high speed stability and driving excitement if weather permits and the need arises. But I find the Lexus just too sophisticated and refined for anything other than mellow cruising while well isolated from the world outside, probably why Economy mode appeals to me the most regardless of the fuel savings.
Old 12-13-16, 08:53 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Completely agree with you. Economy mode is smoother and the acceleration is more mellow. Hybrid drive uses the electric motor more at low speeds and this makes the car quieter. I switch to regular or sport if I have to cut through lanes in traffic as the car is more responsive, otherwise keep it in eco mode. The other reason to use regular mode is to heat up the interior quickly in the winter. I wish it had electric heating like the Volt.
Old 12-14-16, 05:54 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by 400to300H
Well it's nice to know the modes don't make a big difference on fuel economy. I'm starting to get more used to the car and after experimenting I find myself in Economy mode more often than not. What's interesting is that fuel savings doesn't seem to be the reason why. For lack of a better word I just find Economy mode to be the most 'natural' for the car I'm driving. It seems the smoothest and most fitting mode for a luxury car of the 300Hs' weight and proportions. Take it with a grain of salt as it's probably just me. In my case it's stable mate is an 02 Porsche Boxster, easy access to high speed stability and driving excitement if weather permits and the need arises. But I find the Lexus just too sophisticated and refined for anything other than mellow cruising while well isolated from the world outside, probably why Economy mode appeals to me the most regardless of the fuel savings.
I feel the same and keep it in Economy mode most of the time.