ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

DIY maintenance questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-16, 11:14 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Not Jiffy Lube for the hybrid...

It cost me a fair bit for the 2-year brake fluid replacement on the hybrid. I saw the Lexus techs doing the work and it wasn't like the simple brake fluid bleeding on other cars. The hybrid has to be hooked up to a Toyota diagnostic computer to open the fluid valves on each wheel in sequence and the system has to be primed again. I think it took 2 hours just to do the brake fluid. At least you won't have to worry about replacing pads or discs because the hybrid uses motor regen for most of its braking.

Oil changes are simple though, just put the car on a ramp and change the oil filter.
The following users liked this post:
jollick (12-31-16)
Old 12-31-16, 01:52 PM
400to300H
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
It cost me a fair bit for the 2-year brake fluid replacement on the hybrid. I saw the Lexus techs doing the work and it wasn't like the simple brake fluid bleeding on other cars. The hybrid has to be hooked up to a Toyota diagnostic computer to open the fluid valves on each wheel in sequence and the system has to be primed again. I think it took 2 hours just to do the brake fluid. At least you won't have to worry about replacing pads or discs because the hybrid uses motor regen for most of its braking.

Oil changes are simple though, just put the car on a ramp and change the oil filter.
Oh wow, was not aware of this. Figures I suppose, any other dealer specific maintance I should be aware of?
Old 01-01-17, 12:01 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 400to300H
Oh wow, was not aware of this. Figures I suppose, any other dealer specific maintance I should be aware of?
Inverter coolant replacement and CVT/PSD fluid flush, I guess. Those are hybrid-specific parts although any Toyota dealer should be able to service those bits, as they're also shared with the Camry and Avalon hybrids.

Oil and filter changes are within the realm of DIY mechanics. Brake pads and discs should last for 100k miles or more because the hybrid rarely uses friction brakes.

I'm working on (or more likely monkeying around with) an Android app to pull hybrid-specific data like motor temps and battery health using the OBD port. It's the same data available through Techtool but it's a lot more convenient to use a phone and a Bluetooth OBD dongle.
Old 01-01-17, 11:05 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
Inverter coolant replacement and CVT/PSD fluid flush, I guess. Those are hybrid-specific parts although any Toyota dealer should be able to service those bits, as they're also shared with the Camry and Avalon hybrids.

Oil and filter changes are within the realm of DIY mechanics. Brake pads and discs should last for 100k miles or more because the hybrid rarely uses friction brakes.

I'm working on (or more likely monkeying around with) an Android app to pull hybrid-specific data like motor temps and battery health using the OBD port. It's the same data available through Techtool but it's a lot more convenient to use a phone and a Bluetooth OBD dongle.
good point about brake pads - hybrid owners - how long have you found you can go between brake pad and rotor replacement? Can you go up to 100K miles?!
Old 01-03-17, 10:32 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bostonsnow
good point about brake pads - hybrid owners - how long have you found you can go between brake pad and rotor replacement? Can you go up to 100K miles?!
I have a 2010 RX450h with 70K miles, and the brake pads are at 95%. If you brake softly, most the braking will be done by the regenerative braking. I have never seen any brake dust on the front wheels. The whole braking system looks so brand new, and I expect to never have the need to replace the components (other than changing the brake fluid).
Old 01-04-17, 07:06 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

I read somewhere that a Camry Hybrid owner tried to do a brake fluid flush himself and completely messed up the system. He ended up paying $600 to get the system properly flushed at a dealer and to get some components replaced. That said, it's within the realm of the advanced home mechanic with Techtool and some specialized bits.
Old 01-05-17, 07:11 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

>I read somewhere that a Camry Hybrid owner tried to do a brake fluid flush himself and completely messed up the system.

Ya, just like math, working on system with ABS and Traction Control is hard...
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2
Old 01-05-17, 08:23 AM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ut2sua
I have a 2010 RX450h with 70K miles, and the brake pads are at 95%. If you brake softly, most the braking will be done by the regenerative braking. I have never seen any brake dust on the front wheels. The whole braking system looks so brand new, and I expect to never have the need to replace the components (other than changing the brake fluid).
Wish I could say the same, but my wife's hybrid (Prius V, 4 years old) needed some brake work. It was obvious to me that something was very much wrong with the braking. Did not mention it to the dealer and just brought in in for scheduled maintenance. Even the dealer was surprised the rear pads were completely worn.

I admit my wife does a lot of stop and go driving on her daily commute, but still it was unexpected. I know how I use brakes on a hybrid, but not sure what she does.