ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Your thoughts on my dealer service department issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-17, 08:46 PM
Cosmo2002
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Your thoughts on my dealer service department issue

I'm having an issue with the service dept at my local dealer, and I'm hoping people on the board can give me some thoughts/pointers on what to do next.

Here's the short summary: I took my 2016 ES 350 into the dealer because there was a buzzing noise coming from the dash when I changed the temperature settings. Dealer said the motor controlling the temp was abnormally loud and they'd replace it. When I picked up the car, it turns out it was a major operation - they completely removed my front seats, the steering wheel, the entire dash, etc. I was shocked. As I drove away, I could hear a few new noises coming from the engine through the vents. I also saw some large and deep scratches on my steering wheel and dash. I drove the car back to the dealer and politely pointed out the issues. Service rep apologized profusely and said they'd fix everything no charge. I later got a call from the service rep saying they identified the cause of the new noises - they had forgotten to put some type of seal or rubber fitting back in place. They also are going to replace the steering wheel, and fix the other scratches to my satisfaction. I should get the car back in 3-4 days.

Here's where I'd like your thoughts/advice - I am very concerned that my car will never be the same because the dash, seats, etc were removed at the dealer (in a rough manner, apparently). Also, learning they forgot to put a rubber fitting back in place (and I had to bring it to their attention) gives me little confidence that everything else was done right. The dealer is very nice and have a great reputation, and say they will fix it to my satisfaction. However, I feel like the car will never be the same to me because it seems like the dealer will never be able to put the car back together as well as the factory. I feel like I dropped off my pristine ~$40-45k car, and will get back a beat-up up car with replacement parts. I don't want to be unreasonable, but I have no idea if the dealer can make this right by just replacing the steering wheel. Am I over-reacting? Is removing all those parts not a big deal?
Old 01-10-17, 08:58 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

I understand the concern but I would let them fix it and do a thorough inspection when you pick it up. Most parts are designed to be removed/replaced so personally I wouldn't sweat it. It'll be covered under warranty should any issues arise down the road. Best of luck to you.
The following users liked this post:
Cosmo2002 (01-10-17)
Old 01-10-17, 09:34 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Cosmo2002,
I would feel the same if I were you. Unfortunately, I can't think of a better solution in this case (with the dealer agreeing on fixing everything). This is somewhat equivalent to someone damaging your car in an accident. They pay for the fix, but you end up with not exactly the original car any more. I would hope they fix it right. If not, you may need to complain to the next level.
Good luck
Cosmo2002 (01-12-17)
Old 01-11-17, 06:40 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I agree that you have every right to be FURIOUS, and INSULTED they handed the vehicle back to you in the manner they did.

It's probably too late now, but it would be nice to have pictures of their work/damage after you received the vehicle the 1st time they gave it to you. You are lucky and should pat yourself on the back for having attention to detail. Heck, THEY should have THE MOST attention to detail!

I agree with the others that say you don't have much of an option except to do a through inspection when you receive the car AGAIN. Make sure everything is documented on their computer system/service computer system, and receive a PRINTOUT before you leave, and confirm all what was wrong, and all what they fixed. Many times they "forget" to document exactly the work that was done.

I also agree that there's nobody more competent (really discouraging in your situation though) to disassemble/reassemble your Lexus, unless you want to have Ratchey come out there and do the work himself, lol.

Good luck, and definitely let us know how you make out.

On a side note, it might be worthwhile to ask for Lexus Customer Service 800# from the Service Manager (even though you can contact them directly via this message board.) This will be a warning shot across his bow that they need to run a tighter operation, and that you mean business. People say you attract more bees with honey than vinegar, but nobody is trying to collect insects! You must be firm (and looks like you're doing a good job) because they will walk on you otherwise!
Cosmo2002 (01-12-17)
Old 01-11-17, 07:29 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

If it was my car, I'm sure that I would be at least as upset as the OP, but, as others have said, there is no way to go back into time and make the damage not happen.

On a more positive note, it sounds like the dealership wants to make it right. Also, my guess would be that the dealership is going to assign the repair work to its most skilled technician. The replacement parts are going to be expensive, and there is going to be a significant amount of labor time involved in installing those parts, especially considering the extensive amount of wiring contained in the steering wheel. This repair is likely to cost the dealership a few thousand dollars, and they are going to have to sell a good number of $100+ oil changes to recover their loss on this job. Thus, they are going to want to minimize the chances of having to do the repair job more than once by making sure that the person doing the work this time knows what he/she is doing and who takes extreme care in doing the job.

I might also suggest having a discussion with the general manager of the dealership. Expressing your dismay and your concerns about whether the repairs are going to be done properly to the general manager should motivate him/her to get involved and further insure that extreme care will be used in doing the repairs. You might also suggest to the general manager that, considering your disappointment with the situation and the inconvenience that has been caused for you, it would be appropriate for the dealership to offer some token of good will, such as several years worth of free maintenance on the car.

Good luck with resolving everything to your satisfaction.
Cosmo2002 (01-12-17)
Old 01-11-17, 07:41 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Excellent summary lesz. Probably the best suggestion(s) yet.
Old 01-11-17, 01:14 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

There's really nothing you can do. All the posts so far are correct. They screwed up, they fixed it (hopefully), and you go your merry way. Just make sure you keep good documentation on everything so that you have something to work with if things turn south in the future.

I had a similar issue in the past on another vehicle. The dealership took out the driver's seat to replace the air bladder for the massage system. In the course of removing/re-installing the seat, the seat tracks heavily scuffed and ripped up areas on the interior console, pillars, door step sills, etc. I took it back and they fixed it. They left a very heavy scrape on the running board and touched it up with touch-up paint. It was still bad and noticeable. I was going to force them to re-paint that part of the car but I ended up selling the car shortly after (because of a different reason).

Bottom line is that you have to take note of who you have working on your car. Dealerships may be very well equipped with the latest technology and training to service their cars, but my personal experience is that they do pretty poor on "taking care" of the car while its in their shop.

I have more trust in a reputable independent shop than your typical auto dealer. The independent shops are owned by individuals and they care more about their customers. Car dealerships can care less. The turnover rate at the dealerships are very high --- including positions like Service Manager.
Cosmo2002 (01-12-17)
Old 01-11-17, 01:23 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.

I also agree that there's nobody more competent (really discouraging in your situation though) to disassemble/reassemble your Lexus, unless you want to have Ratchey come out there and do the work himself, lol.
Don't look at me, I haven't even put my car back together
Old 01-11-17, 01:34 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

I had a situation similar to Cosmo's a few years ago and after a day of calls to Lexus, the tech told me what Lexus advised - seats, steering wheel dash etc. and what would be involved. I only had a year to go on my lease at the time so I declined the repair. They offered to replace the battery - maybe just to make me feel better - and the problem went away and never returned. They basically knew I was not going to be happy with the repair related problems. It would have been nice if your dealer had given you a similar choice.

Dave Mac
Cosmo2002 (01-12-17)
Old 01-17-17, 12:35 PM
Cosmo2002
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks everyone for your input.

I got the car back, and it looks and sounds great. They replaced a few things, including the steering wheel. I'm so happy it worked out well, at least so far. The dealer was very nice the entire time, and have told me that if anything comes up, they'll make it right. Despite the initial problem, I'm pretty happy with how the dealer has addressed the problem and have no problem being a repeat customer.
Old 01-17-17, 12:39 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Very good to hear. Thanks for following up.
Old 01-17-17, 01:15 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

That is GREAT news Cosmo! It's nice to hear about a dealership that goes the extra mile to make everything not only right, but to your 100% satisfaction! Like JDR said, thanks for giving us the conclusion to your saga!
Old 01-17-17, 01:50 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

yup this is why you have to be very careful taking your car (or any item) in for a minor issue that you can maybe just live with. because sometimes they have to tear everything apart to "fix" it and it's never the same and they do more harm than good - and there's no guarantee that they really "fix" the issue anyway. and it's amazing just how reckless and sloppy some "professionals" can be. before i begin any repair work on anything i own as ask them exactly what it entails - and if it sounds like too much can go wrong, i pass. glad it worked out for you.
Old 01-17-17, 06:11 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Great to hear of the good outcome for you Cosmo