ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Nuluxe Vinal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-17, 04:36 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

My honest feelings are that this is not a big deal whatsoever. As mentioned, several luxury car brands (whose prices can reach much higher than the ES) offer both vinyl with leather as an option. If one doesn't like/want vinyl you can pop for leather. If you don't like that option move to something with leather only and avoid having to choose. The choice is in the consumers hands.
Old 01-16-17, 04:37 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Default dchar is on point!

Originally Posted by dchar
You make it seem Lexus is the only luxury carmaker offering vinyl as standard and leather as optional, and those cars cost considerably more than the ES (starts at $38900). Mercedes offers vinyl as standard in the C (starts at $39500), E class (starts at $52150), GLA (starts at $32800), GLC (starts at $39150), GLE (starts at $52000), and GLS (starts at $67000). BMW offers vinyl as standard in the 2 (starts at $33150), 3 (starts at $33450), 4 (starts at $41950), 5-series (starts at $50200), X1 (starts at $32800), X3 (starts at $33100), X4 (starts at $45550), and X5 (starts at $55500). Making vinyl the standard trim is becoming a trend in the luxury market. Most people can't even tell the difference, so why not allow those people to save a bit of money. Cars are getting more expensive due to better tech and more features, so to sell at $40K car makers need to cut cost somewhere. Using Nuluxe isn't that bad of an option.
Glad to say your information pertaining to the E-class and the 5-series are accurate! They're the only 2 I researched. MB calls their vinyl MB Tex, and BMW calls their vinyl SensaTec. Interesting article I just stumbled across for the NuLuxe fans. There are a ton of articles relating to the fake stuff if you search MBTex or SensaTec --- https://www.cars.com/articles/mb-tex...1420682706143/
Old 01-16-17, 05:56 PM
emas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the difference between regular and semi-aniline leather?
Old 01-16-17, 06:20 PM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

We should also point out that the cost of most leather grades going in cars is no different than high quality vinyl. It is mostly marketing mystique. We have an abundance of dead cows and hides.

A natural leather seat cover, for example, does cost more than one made from cloth or vinyl - but because of the volumes of the various materials which car manufacturers use, the differences in the prices are surprisingly small. The extra you have to pay for a leather interior in your car is more about the perceived difference in the quality of ambiance that is produced over the various cloth and vinyl derived alternatives.

Marketing 101, set the price higher to give the illusion of luxury. Dead cow skin sounds really luxurious to me.
Old 01-16-17, 06:41 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckNX
We should also point out that the cost of most leather grades going in cars is no different than high quality vinyl. It is mostly marketing mystique. We have an abundance of dead cows and hides.

A natural leather seat cover, for example, does cost more than one made from cloth or vinyl - but because of the volumes of the various materials which car manufacturers use, the differences in the prices are surprisingly small. The extra you have to pay for a leather interior in your car is more about the perceived difference in the quality of ambiance that is produced over the various cloth and vinyl derived alternatives.

Marketing 101, set the price higher to give the illusion of luxury. Dead cow skin sounds really luxurious to me.
score one for the vegans.
Old 01-16-17, 07:08 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Who died and turned LS430inDE into the grand arbiter of taste?

Maybe you should drive around in a Nuluxe-equipped car for a few years before ranting about the stuff or even worse, disparaging owners of said cars. Just sayin'.
Old 01-17-17, 03:17 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
I would never settle (knowingly) for fake leather seats when paying $40k+ in any vehicle, let alone a Lexus. Never. I'm going to go out on a limb and say some Lexus owners of vehicles upholstered with the NuLux didn't even KNOW it was fake leather.
Leather isn't a symbol of luxury like it used to... you can get leather seats in a Honda Civic for $20k, does that make the Civic superior to an ES with Nuluxe?
Old 01-17-17, 06:44 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by chromedome
Who died and turned LS430inDE into the grand arbiter of taste?

Maybe you should drive around in a Nuluxe-equipped car for a few years before ranting about the stuff or even worse, disparaging owners of said cars. Just sayin'.
How about placing your hurt feelings aside, as that would help curb your attack on me? You're a bit confused. I'm not disparaging owners. I'm being critical of Lexus. If you can separate your feelings from your car for just 1 second, your feelings of being disparaged would cease to exist.
Old 01-17-17, 06:49 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by er34
Leather isn't a symbol of luxury like it used to... you can get leather seats in a Honda Civic for $20k, does that make the Civic superior to an ES with Nuluxe?
Great question but you can't compare the 2. If I purchased a Civic with genuine leather for $20k instead of traditional cloth, I'd be proud. Conversely, if someone I was driving in my $40k ES asked me about the 'leather' of my seats, I'd be embarrassed to disclose if it was the fake leather . But that's just ME. To each owner their own. Don't be like the others who get offended if I am critical of an aspect of the CAR. Hope that makes sense.
Old 01-17-17, 07:24 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

I agree with Les in that I would also accept Nuluxe in place of leather, but only if I could get the luxury options and all the new safety features. Unfortunately, currently this isn't possible. Maybe Lexus will change this in the near future to keep the starting price low.
Old 01-18-17, 06:13 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Well, if the grand arbiter of taste doesn't want to get an ES, then why is he still posting his rants against Nuluxe and dumb ES owners with "low expectations"?

See quotes below:
---
Regardless all the claims of how durable, ease of cleanup, quality in appearance, etc, I find it absurd Lexus cheapens the car with fake leather.
---
To pay $40k+ for a Lexus with fake leather is identical to happily paying $10k for a diamond looking ring, fitted with a cubic zirconia, from Tiffany. Personally, I find it unacceptable and those who do accept it and are satisfied with fulfilling low expectations.
---
Conversely, if someone I was driving in my $40k ES asked me about the 'leather' of my seats, I'd be embarrassed to disclose if it was the fake leather .
---

What gives? Did Nuluxe run over your dog and steal your girl? Some people like me don't like the feel of leather seats but I don't go around dissing those who do, it's their money and I'm happy that they've spent it on something they like.
The following users liked this post:
Fman2118 (08-09-21)
Old 01-18-17, 08:01 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 666 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome
Well, if the grand arbiter of taste doesn't want to get an ES,..
Not worth it Chrome. Just take a deep breath and enjoy your ride. Some posters are just not worth a reply.
Old 01-18-17, 08:24 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Not worth it Chrome. Just take a deep breath and enjoy your ride. Some posters are just not worth a reply.
+1 for sure
Old 01-18-17, 08:27 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

1. It's personal preference.
2. Lexus buyers in general are intelligent and savvy enough to know what they are buying.
Old 01-20-17, 09:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I think the bottom line is that synthetic leather is becoming the standard seat covering in the luxury space. As has been demonstrated elsewhere every manufacturer does it, and Lexus was late to the party. Starting in 2016, even the GS in 200t package has nuluxe base...more distressing to me than that is that a basic GS200t no longer has genuine wood trim...which used to be unheard of in a Lexus.

Personally, the nuluxe doesn't bother me, and I actually think it feels better than Lexus entry leather such as whats found in the luxury package ES, the semi-aniline leather in the UL would be my choice.

As I said in another thread, the ES is the entry level Lexus essentially, you have the CT beneath it but its sort of a niche car...historically the ES has NOT had standard leather, it has in fact had standard cloth seats. Cloth seats were admittedly very rare, but that was the basic upholstery.

I don't see an issue with them offering nuluxe as long as I can get real leather. If somebody cannot stomach the idea of having imitation leather in their car...simply purchase real leather I don't understand what the issue is...

Anyways, my guess is folks with nuluxe never get asked if its real leather.

Quick Reply: Nuluxe Vinal?