American built ES 350

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-17, 11:12 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,015 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by Maljunulo
I remain unconvinced.

Pride in their product is an integral and fundamental part of Japanese industry.

In the US there is more concern over how many breaks do I get, how much vacation time, how do I file a grievance, and so on.

How are the guys working for Lexus in KY any different?

Do they belong to the same union(s) as the rest of the domestic industry?

As I said in my earlier post, I was skeptical, too, and I'm sure that I still would be skeptical had I not had the opportunity to compare my Japanese built 2013 ES and my US built 2017 ES and had I not had a chance to see first hand how much better the fits and finishes are on the 2017 US built ES than they were on the 2013 Japanese built ES.

Originally Posted by JDR76
Not directly applicable, but for what it's worth, my '13 RX was a Japan built model and my current '16 Highlander Hybrid is a US built model. I have not noticed any discernible difference in build quality between the two. My Highlander still doesn't have a single squeak or rattle, and all panels line up appropriately.

I would not hesitate to purchase a US built ES.

I would perhaps be more skeptical if the US and Canada built Lexus and Toyota models had lower reliability numbers than their Japanese built counterparts but I haven't seen any data to reflect this. In fact, the Ontario, Canada plant that churns out the RX has a lower "defect per 100 cars" rating than the Japanese plants.
It is good to hear that quality of Toyota vehicles built in North America is holding up well compared to those built in Japan because, if that is the case, the Lexus vehicles should be even better. According to the on-line videos, for example, production tolerances for the ES are significantly tighter than those for the Avalon, and there are several times as many quality control checks done during the building of an ES than there are for the building of an Avalon. So, if the Toyotas built in North America are are coming out with a low defect rate, the Lexus vehicles built here should be even better.

Last edited by lesz; 01-25-17 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-25-17, 12:11 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 663 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by ut2sua
Would you share some of the cost cutting items you have in mind (for Lexus over the years)?
I noticed that I can unlock/lock my ES using the "touch" feature at all four doors. For my 2010 RX, only the front doors have those, so I noticed that improvement. I can't open my power trunk with a button by the driver in my ES. In my RX, I can both open and close the lift-gate using that available button. But I was not sure if that was an ES vs RX thing, or if that was a cost cutting measure.
The cost cutting I'm referring to is material quality. There are more hard plastics in the current version. They actually have made some improvements in this area starting with the 2016 model year refresh.

If you have a power trunk, you should be able to open it with either the key fob, or the button on the dash.
Old 01-25-17, 01:42 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728

If you have a power trunk, you should be able to open it with either the key fob, or the button on the dash.
You are right, but I can't close it with the button on the dash. On my RX, I could.
Old 01-26-17, 05:13 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Maljunulo
I remain unconvinced.

Pride in their product is an integral and fundamental part of Japanese industry.

In the US there is more concern over how many breaks do I get, how much vacation time, how do I file a grievance, and so on.

How are the guys working for Lexus in KY any different?

Do they belong to the same union(s) as the rest of the domestic industry?
Not directly applicable, but for what it's worth, my '13 RX was a Japan built model and my current '16 Highlander Hybrid is a US built model. I have not noticed any discernible difference in build quality between the two. My Highlander still doesn't have a single squeak or rattle, and all panels line up appropriately.

I would not hesitate to purchase a US built ES.
I think you both have made good points, and you are not necessarily in disagreement either. The thing about reputation is: it takes time to build one. I remember when Lexus first came out, people was making fun of Toyota for trying to be a fake "luxury" brand. When Honda first came to the US, the tiny car was the laughing stock for Detroit. Now you start reading about "Lexus quality" when it comes to luxury comparison, and not many still think that Honda is a joke any more. The US auto industry left some scar tissues in the consumers' mind for awhile. It will take several years for any car (doesn't matter how good) with a "build in USA" stamp to get automatic approval from the consumers. The thing is, they have to maintain equal or better quality than the competitors for several years to earn the trust. I was trusting that Lexus did the right thing by maintaining a high quality build in the US when I purchased my ES, and from my early personal experience, it looked like they did. Workers can be trained to do the right thing, and I can see/feel that Lexus is on the right path which is very encouraging for Toyota and the working folks in Kentucky.
Old 05-30-17, 08:05 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Just to revive this older thread, I'm here in the Dallas area and Toyota North America opened up their headquarters here in Plano, TX about 2 weeks back. While there are a lot of Americans clearly working here, there are still a lot of Japanese "head honcho's" in senior roles across all of Toyota North America; they inspect suppliers & manufacturing facilities regularly from what I'm told. Consistency is going to be the driving force & discipline for Toyota especially in light of a slightly-declining US auto market, Toyota is going to leverage their reputation around "solid engineering" and "value" as much as they can.

So all in all, I wouldn't necessarily knock down a made-in-US/Canada badge, the RAV4's have been not made in Japan for almost a decade now but is currently pretty close to be Toyota's #1 volume unit (catching up to the Camry!)
Old 05-30-17, 10:43 PM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

My Avalon was built in Kentucky, my ES was built in Japan. I really can't tell any difference.. yes, the overall quality seems to be a "bit" better in the ES... but it should be better, not because it was built in Japan, but because it is a Lexus....

Poppa
Old 07-09-17, 04:28 PM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Reviving this thread . . . .

Granted I've only had my '17 UL for a week, but so far I'm impressed with the build quality and fit and finish. The paint job is superb, the panels and interior trim pieces seem to be perfectly aligned, and there are no noticeable gaps. But most importantly, so far there are no rattles! Hopefully this will not change when the weather cools, but every new car that I've purchased before this one (Japanese, German, or U.S.-built) has developed a rattle within days -- ranging from a rattling speaker to a creak in the dash or rear deck. Maybe I've just been unlucky! This includes the '16 LX570 which developed a horrible right front passenger speaker rattle within 3 days of ownership. It was so bad that I had to stuff the housing with copious amounts of felt (the gap was bigger than the size of a quarter) to listen to the stereo. That revealed that Japan-made does not necessarily correlate with build quality. I'll note that the only other totally rattle-free Lexus that I've owned before the '17 UL, new or used, was a '06 LS430.
Old 07-09-17, 07:28 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,015 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by irishbrahm
Reviving this thread . . . .

Granted I've only had my '17 UL for a week... most importantly, so far there are no rattles! Hopefully this will not change when the weather cools.
I've now had my US-built 2017 ES for about 9 months. That means that it has gone through temperatures from -15 in the winter through to 95 in the summer, and I have not yet heard a hint of a rattle, squeak, or other extraneous sound. I'd guess that your experience will be similar. My previously owned Japanese-built 2013 ES was mostly okay except for a bit of chatter from the assist handles above the front doors that occurred in hot, humid weather, and I was able to remove that annoyance by packing foam around the hinges of those assist handles.
Old 02-04-18, 06:50 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ut2sua
I did have a choice to get one of the MY 2017 ES 350 that was built in Japan, but due to interior color choice, I purchased an ES that was built in Kentucky. I was a bit worry at first, but so far, even with only 600 miles on the odometer, the ES has cruised like a dream. No rattles anywhere. Very little wind noise. Zero functional issue. The engine was smooth and powerful. Gas consumption was in the 23->25 MPG range. I did get the 18" wheels, so I felt the road more than in my 2010 RX, but the car is solidly built. I am happy so far. I wonder if other owners with American built ES have had the same positive experience.
It has been more than a year since I owned the ES with almost 8K miles. I would like to report that the car has preformed well with no issue.
I am very happy with my wife ES.
On a different note, I can't say I am happy with my new RX which is only a few days old, but that is another thread.
Old 02-04-18, 08:30 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

I could never buy a Lexus Built in the U.S i get ok if its partially assembled in the U.S but same as buying a Lexus Built in Canada i wouldn't do that either.
If im dishing out that kind of money im buying one that came from and was build in Japan.

its the simple fact that i understand wantign to keep money in the u.S and perhaps that could be a good selling point to buy a car that was built in america
however for me buying a lexus built in the u.s is like buying a Glock Pistol that was made in GA and not Austria i have sold and bough several guns and when eve ri have owned a Glock that was made in USA GA it has always been so much harder to sell because no one wants a Glock built here
i would use that as a point to bring the price down a little bit if i saw a sticker on the car somewhere saying it was built in the U.S
Old 02-05-18, 05:41 AM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Come on. Now you are bringing guns into the discussion? Let's stick to cars on this thread.
Old 02-05-18, 06:14 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

It's a good thing Toyota started producing the ES in Kentucky midway through the product life cycle. If they had started with a new model, any faults would have been attributed to US assembly, instead of it being a common thing on first-run cars. My 2014 Japanese-built ES has pretty good quality but it still has rattles above the grab handles. I'd think the 2016+ cars have had most of the quality and assembly issues ironed out no matter where they're built.

On a long highway drive recently on a cold, blustery winter day, I found out that this car is the perfect mile-munching machine. There's little wind noise and the soft suspension soaked up the road without wallowing, while the cruise control and excellent audio system made it a relaxing journey. The ES is a car built for big countries with lots of good road - you Americans and Canadians sure are lucky
Old 02-05-18, 06:24 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

> it still has rattles above the grab handles
You probably have the sunroof defect!!!!!!
Check "Clunking/rattling sound" thread on this forum. This is a well known problem with our version of the car.
If you have that problem get it fixed while your car is still under warranty.
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '15 Jaguar XF
Old 02-05-18, 06:31 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

[QUOTEMaikerusan;10103756]Come on. Now you are bringing guns into the discussion? Let's stick to cars on this thread.[/QUOTE]

it was a simple way to explain about something that was from one country but built in another country. and what people dont want and do want and how hard it is to sell something that you own that is not built in the same country as its from.
I bet your a liberal ? thats totaly agaisnt firearms ?

i buy Tag eye glasses because they are french if they started to be built in China or the USA i would not buy them how about that you like that more?
Old 02-05-18, 06:43 AM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Thumperpup... Sorry, not interested in politics. It's a boring topic.

I come on this forum to read about cars.

Quick Reply: American built ES 350