ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Transporting a lawn mower.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-17, 10:26 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Some repair shops have pick up/delivery service for mower to repair.
Yeah. One of the shops did. It cost $80.

They also weren't the official dealer for Black and Decker, and said they only serviced them to an extent.

I didn't want to have them take it, then say they couldn't do something because they couldn't order the right part.
Old 02-26-17, 06:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Afraid of little dings or light scratch?, LOL!
Of course. Perfectly normal to be concerned about damaging a luxury automobile, we're not talking about the bed of a pickup truck here.
Old 02-26-17, 06:59 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 721 Likes on 528 Posts

Afraid of little dings or light scratch?, LOL!
Well, as a matter of fact, yes. Cars are very expensive and I do everything I can to keep ours looking nice and new as long as possible. I wouldn't expose it to the risks of loading equipment that doesn't easily fit. Speaking for myself, I wouldn't buy a used car that is covered in dings and scratches (likely smelling like fresh-cut grass) whether caused by loading lawn equipment or an angry dog and I imagine many others feel that way, so it goes without saying that decreases the value of the car. But then I respect that everyone can use their cars in any fashion they wish - this is just my opinion.
Old 02-26-17, 07:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I understand cars being transportation to some people and them not caring about their condition, or cleaning them, or caring for them...what I don't understand is people who spend a lot of money on a car and then treat it like garbage. I see $100k+ S Classes and Range Rovers every day that clearly have never been washed and are beat to hell. Thats an incredible amount of money to throw away on something that clearly has no value to you...
Old 02-26-17, 09:11 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 721 Likes on 528 Posts

That reminds me of when we had just moved into a new subdivision and everyone was landscaping their property. My neighbor was hauling loads of dirt in the trunk of his E-class Mercedes for a berm. It must have taken him 20+ loads. Every time I saw him he was out with a shovel digging topsoil out of his trunk. The landscaping firm had a truck with a dump bed and could deliver several yards at a time for something like $25 but there he was hauling a trunk load at a time. At the time the car was probably four years old or so and hey, at least it wasn't an S-Class
Old 02-26-17, 09:20 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by nuraman00
Just an update on this.

Home Depot offers pickup truck rentals by the hour. It's $20 for the first 75 minutes, and $5 for every 15 minutes afterward.

I did this on Monday.

By the time I finished refueling gas back to the original state, and returned the truck, it was about 85 minutes, so it cost me about $24.

Overall though, this was a good solution.

Rental Trucks or SUVs from rental car companies were going for $80-$100 a day. I would rather have used the repair shop with the pickup service, instead of the rental car companies.

I do have to cover the lawn mower next time though, as it was lightly sprinkling.

The Black and Decker repair shop doesn't do estimates on the spot anymore. They just say the max repair cost will be $80. Whatever needs fixing, the max I'll be charged is $80. If it's less, then I'll be charged less.

That was fine by me.

Now I'm waiting for them to repair it.

Once it's ready, I'll have to rent the truck again from Home Depot.

I think you made the wise choice. It isn't costing you much, and you eliminated the risk of doing damage to a nice car that likely would have cost you much more to repair.

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Of course. Perfectly normal to be concerned about damaging a luxury automobile, we're not talking about the bed of a pickup truck here.
Originally Posted by Ward6096
Well, as a matter of fact, yes. Cars are very expensive and I do everything I can to keep ours looking nice and new as long as possible. I wouldn't expose it to the risks of loading equipment that doesn't easily fit. Speaking for myself, I wouldn't buy a used car that is covered in dings and scratches (likely smelling like fresh-cut grass) whether caused by loading lawn equipment or an angry dog and I imagine many others feel that way, so it goes without saying that decreases the value of the car. But then I respect that everyone can use their cars in any fashion they wish - this is just my opinion.
+1 to both of the above.
Old 02-26-17, 09:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would also ask the question, is it silly to not want to wear your best suit when you're working in your yard? Lol
Old 07-05-19, 12:33 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 167 Likes on 119 Posts

If it won't fit in the trunk, borrow a friends pick up truck... if you don't have a friend with a PU, then just rent one for a couple of hours... You can rent a pick up from Uhaul for about 20 bucks a day plus taxes and fees... yes I know you will have to rent it again when your mower is repaired, but that total cost will be a lot less than if you damage your car trying to load or unload a mower.. just not worth the risk to me.
Old 07-05-19, 06:37 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

This thread is over two years old...
Old 07-05-19, 07:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Kind of timely this was refreshed now. I'm cleaning out the garage today and putting up new shelving, hauling the old shelving and other garage nastiness to the dump. I have a minivan with stow-n-go seating...but I'm going to spend the $20 and rent a uHaul van lol
Old 07-05-19, 07:47 PM
JRandy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's why I still have my '89 Corolla All-Trac Wagon. If I want to haul something I fold down the back seats, spread out an old vinyl tablecloth and I'm in business. I take my lawn equipment to an independent repair shop and there as well as some other places I do business with I'd rather roll up in my old SW than a Lexus.
Old 07-05-19, 07:52 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Sometimes threads are just ludicrous. This is one of them. It was in 2017 and it is in 2019...
The following users liked this post:
Mike728 (07-05-19)
Old 07-06-19, 07:27 AM
st1800
Advanced

Received 98 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by AntonMazur
Hello, I have a small store which I am planning to automate. Is it worth it though?
What does this have to do with anything on a Lexus forum?
Old 07-06-19, 09:22 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by st1800
Maybe he plans to sell lawnmowers out of the trunk of his Lexus...
Old 07-06-19, 12:18 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by mesdhois
A clear benefit from store automation https://www.managemart.com/lawn-care is the ability to quickly monitor warehouse stocks and the proceeds from the sale of funds, which helps reduce the staff theft number of goods and money, quickly find dishonest employees and not shift the blame for the shortage on the whole team. It is very important to competently implement new software to the company.
My guess is that the person who made the post is using software that searches the internet for any forum posts related to lawn mowers. Then, when it finds such posts, it makes a spam reply to them.
The following 2 users liked this post by lesz:
Albo (07-07-19), st1800 (07-06-19)

Quick Reply: Transporting a lawn mower.