ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

wrecked my es

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-17, 05:27 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
So how much do you think the body shop will charge to repair my es... as best as I could see, there is zero metal damage... fenders, hood, headlights all seem to be fine... but I think the entire front end clip is toast... Modad posted a pic of front end damage on his car after hitting a deer... he had damage to the front end as well as needed a new hood... he also had a lot electronics damaged, as I am pretty sure I will to since there are a couple of messages on the dash now saying something about "check sonar system" and all 4 doors open... at first I thought my damages would come to about 3 grand.... but those damn electronic sensors can run into some money... maybe 5 to 6 grand is more realistic....

Poppa
As I said in a previous post, the damage that I had appeared to be very similar to yours, and the repair cost was over $2500. Yours could be in that range or it could be significantly higher depending on a number of factors, including the amount of "hidden damage" below the surface, whether they have to blend the new paint into surrounding panels, and prevailing shop wages in your area.

In my case, the bumper cover, bumper shock absorber, grille, and chrome trim around the inside of the bumper cover had to be replaced. One of the parking sensors and its mounting clip had to be replaced, but the cost of that was only a couple of hundred dollars, and there was no other damage to electronics. My car was a color for which matching paint is relatively easy. The shop was able to get an excellent color match with a simple panel-to-panel match, and I live in an area where hourly labor rates are relatively low.

For your car, I would guess that the best case is probably somewhere between $2500 and $3000. In the worst case, if you have significant damage to electronics, if the paint needs to be blended into surrounding panels, and/or if labor rates in your area are much higher, my guess would be that those numbers could be doubled. I would not be surprised if the tab for your repairs was anywhere in the range between the best case and worst case scenarios that I described, but I would be surprised if it was outside of that range at either end.
Old 02-14-17, 05:36 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

An additional thought/suggestion popped into my head. Your ES is now 4 model years old, and, by the time a car is that age, there is a good chance that, when the insurance company authorizes the work, it is going to specify that aftermarket parts be used if they are available.

When I've been in that situation, I've requested from the shop that, if the insurance company specifies the use aftermarket parts that they let me know so that I can make the case with the insurance company to use original equipment Lexus-branded parts. And, if all else fails, my long-term relationship with the body shop is such that they are willing to say that they can't find aftermarket parts. My suggestion would be to do something similar because you really don't want them to put an aftermarket bumper cover (or other aftermarket parts) on your car.
Old 02-14-17, 05:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

A good body shop will also always fight for OEM parts for you.
Old 02-14-17, 10:22 PM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 167 Likes on 119 Posts

well they got her torn apart at the body shop..... hate to see her like this.. parts have been ordered but I would assume by this time next week she'll be good as new sitting in my garage. Almost all of the damage was the front bumper clip, No damage to hood, or either front fender.. however one of the headlight / headlight assemblys was damaged and apparently that piece alone is pretty pricey, like around 1200 or so.....also some electronics in the front bumper clip have to be replaced... My friend who owns the body shop told me not to worry... He told me she'll be perfect when they finish it. He's worked on several of my cars over the years and his work has always been top notch... no reason to suspect it will be anything less this time...
Attached Thumbnails wrecked my es-imagejpeg_0_3.jpg  
Old 02-15-17, 06:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Yeah the headlights are super expensive...