ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

My car was damaged prior to purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-17, 05:14 PM
Ssnva1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My car was damaged prior to purchase

I'm so in love with my car. But I noticed today that it had been repaired. When I purchased it, I checked the Carfax and it was clean. One owner who leased it.

The passenger side rear door has little clear plastic things on it that look almost like some sort of protection. The driver side doesn't. So I was inspecting and could see where it's a little dented when you open the door. I also noticed that the paint on the outside of the door in certain light and angles looks slightly off.

The car runs perfectly. Should I be worried?? Should I call the dealership and at this point can I do anything?

Thoughts, please!!
Old 02-17-17, 06:49 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

When you buy a used car, you take it as is. The dealer will do nothing for you.
Not all accidents are reported to carfax. And not all damage is accident related. It could have been a really bad door ding that paint-less dent removal couldn't fix, a shopping cart hit, someone keyed it, etc...

If the different paint is only on the door panel I wouldn't worry at all. If other panels have been painted as well, then you may want to have it inspected by a professional.

Even new cars get damaged and repaired before being sold. It's part of life. This is why it is extremely important to go over any car with a fine tooth comb before you sign the papers, if this type of stuff bothers you.
Old 02-17-17, 07:00 PM
Ssnva1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ratchey
When you buy a used car, you take it as is. The dealer will do nothing for you.
Not all accidents are reported to carfax. And not all damage is accident related. It could have been a really bad door ding that paint-less dent removal couldn't fix, a shopping cart hit, someone keyed it, etc...

If the different paint is only on the door panel I wouldn't worry at all. If other panels have been painted as well, then you may want to have it inspected by a professional.

Even new cars get damaged and repaired before being sold. It's part of life. This is why it is extremely important to go over any car with a fine tooth comb before you sign the papers, if this type of stuff bothers you.
Thank you. I don't think I'll lose any sleep over it. I'm thinking it was something insignificant. Just wanted other opinions. Wasn't sure if the dealership was supposed to disclose that information-if they even noticed.
Old 02-18-17, 04:49 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Ssnva1
Thank you. I don't think I'll lose any sleep over it. I'm thinking it was something insignificant. Just wanted other opinions. Wasn't sure if the dealership was supposed to disclose that information-if they even noticed.
I think they are only required to notify you of any branding of the the title, whether it be branded, salvage or what ever term your state uses.
They will generally tell you what is on car fax but no more. Each dealership may be a little different but that is what I have found in general.
Old 02-18-17, 08:52 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Ssnva1
I'm so in love with my car. But I noticed today that it had been repaired. When I purchased it, I checked the Carfax and it was clean. One owner who leased it.

The passenger side rear door has little clear plastic things on it that look almost like some sort of protection. The driver side doesn't. So I was inspecting and could see where it's a little dented when you open the door. I also noticed that the paint on the outside of the door in certain light and angles looks slightly off.

The car runs perfectly. Should I be worried?? Should I call the dealership and at this point can I do anything?

Thoughts, please!!
The plastic protection pieces at the lower outside edge of the rear doors probably came with the car when it was new. My new car has them. Unfortunately all cars will get some dings at some point. I wouldn't worry about it. As long as the car runs well, you are in good shape.
Old 02-19-17, 05:26 AM
modad
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Obviously this doesn't keep the car from going FAST! LOL
Old 02-19-17, 07:32 AM
Ssnva1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by modad
Obviously this doesn't keep the car from going FAST! LOL

It doesn't seriously?? Lol!!