ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

ES features you did not know about.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-19, 10:21 AM
OBLexus
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Here’s a good one for those with the electric / power closing trunk:
If you need to transport a long item that will stick out from the trunk (recommended for short distances only!:-)), you can try to close the trunk using the button - it won’t work and just re-open after hitting the item that sticks out.
If you now just start driving, after a short while the trunk will close by itself as far as it can and basically push itself against the obstacle and hold itself closed as much as possible - how cool is that 😎!
A warning beep will continue going while you drive, but at least you can drive home.
The following users liked this post:
Hasman69 (07-15-20)
Old 11-26-19, 03:28 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by OBLexus
Here’s a good one for those with the electric / power closing trunk:
If you need to transport a long item that will stick out from the trunk (recommended for short distances only!:-)), you can try to close the trunk using the button - it won’t work and just re-open after hitting the item that sticks out.
If you now just start driving, after a short while the trunk will close by itself as far as it can and basically push itself against the obstacle and hold itself closed as much as possible - how cool is that 😎!
A warning beep will continue going while you drive, but at least you can drive home.
This is a great feature!
Old 11-26-19, 03:31 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

For those of you who drive their ES in the winter in snow, you may have noticed that when it is snowing, the snow tends to accumulate on the front parking sensors and when the car slows down or stops at a light the parking system beeps, complaining that you are too close to the object in the front. For 5 years I ignored this, and only this year figured out that the parking system can be turned off by the button on the lower left side of the dash.
This kills the beep when driving in the snow.

It only took me 5 years to figure this out :-)

Old 12-21-19, 08:26 AM
DOsepchook
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my favourite feature

2018 ES replaced my 2008 ES and this worked on both. To open all windows and the moon roof on hot days to vent the heat while walking to your car, do this! Once in range the lights will flash and you push and hold the unlock button on the remote. After a few seconds the car will beep and the windows and moon roof will open as long as you hold the button. This makes a huge difference and allows cooler air to enter as soon as you drive away. Once the car temperature is the same as the ambient, turn on the climate control and close the windows. If this doesn't work, have your Lexus dealer programme your fob at the next service or do it yourself on your navigation screen under vehicle settings.
As an aside, the super heated air inside a car has toxic fumes from volatile materials in every car. Allowing these to vent is probably a good idea!
Old 12-22-19, 11:45 AM
Hasman69
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

If you program your garage door to open/close using the Home Link buttons under the rear view mirror, there are actually 2 lights with arrows that come on showing you if you are opening or closing your garage and the cool thing is they blink yellow when your garage door goes up or down and turn solid green for a few seconds when the door is open/close all the way. For peace of mind when driving away, I used to look back when I get to the end of the street to make sure the garage is closed all the way but not any more. I just glance at the light and if its green, its closed.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hasman69:
NdYAG (12-22-19), tomscot2 (02-26-23)
Old 12-24-19, 08:48 AM
Eslader
Driver

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

That, btw, only works with later versions of door openers. If your opener is old it won't have bidirectional communication, so your Homelink transmitter isn't broken if this doesn't work for you.
Old 12-24-19, 09:04 PM
larrytstar
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DOsepchook
2018 ES replaced my 2008 ES and this worked on both. To open all windows and the moon roof on hot days to vent the heat while walking to your car, do this! Once in range the lights will flash and you push and hold the unlock button on the remote. After a few seconds the car will beep and the windows and moon roof will open as long as you hold the button. This makes a huge difference and allows cooler air to enter as soon as you drive away. Once the car temperature is the same as the ambient, turn on the climate control and close the windows. If this doesn't work, have your Lexus dealer programme your fob at the next service or do it yourself on your navigation screen under vehicle settings.
As an aside, the super heated air inside a car has toxic fumes from volatile materials in every car. Allowing these to vent is probably a good idea!
DOsepchook - I have a 2013 ES350. I would like to enable this feature, as it doesn't work now. I went into vehicle settings and couldn't find how to enable it. Could you be specific about the screens and selections I need. Thanks.
Old 12-24-19, 09:46 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by larrytstar
DOsepchook - I have a 2013 ES350. I would like to enable this feature, as it doesn't work now. I went into vehicle settings and couldn't find how to enable it. Could you be specific about the screens and selections I need. Thanks.
Check your owners manual for “Customizations” or “Customizable features”. You should find a chart that shows what you can change yourself, depending on your options...or what you might need either an OBDII reader/programmer (search “Carista” on the internet) or a dealer to program. It’s found about page 869 in the 2014 manual.
Old 12-25-19, 06:10 AM
Eslader
Driver

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by larrytstar
On my 2016, this was a dealer-only programmable option. You'd have to either take it in or do it with Carista, if you have it.
Old 12-26-19, 12:09 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DOsepchook
This sounds cool, I'll have to try it. So the windows open too, even without starting the car?
Old 01-24-20, 08:07 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Just bought a 2016 and havent a clue how to use many of the features.....thanks for this post......
so far the mirror joint thing is cool
winter mode for the wipers is cool
Learning to put the car in accessory mode is cool. In another car that i drove diff MFR the sales person hit the start button twice for accessory.......I wouldnt dare do that to my new car without knowing.
Old 07-14-20, 05:51 PM
Jasones350
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My 2013 es350 ultra has remote start. But also has all the bells n whistles "except folding mirrors " lol

Old 02-25-23, 05:00 PM
NdYAG
Advanced

Received 191 Likes on 133 Posts

Turns out the headlights (at least the HID ones) have motors in them and can adjust up/down based on how loaded the car is. There is a sensor on the rear right control arm that measures how much the car sags. I was able to activate the motors in test mode in TechStream and make them move - pretty neat.

AFAIK this system is mandated in Europe and it was easier for Lexus just to keep it on the US-spec cars as well.
Old 02-26-23, 07:30 AM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by NdYAG
Turns out the headlights (at least the HID ones) have motors in them and can adjust up/down based on how loaded the car is. There is a sensor on the rear right control arm that measures how much the car sags. I was able to activate the motors in test mode in TechStream and make them move - pretty neat.

AFAIK this system is mandated in Europe and it was easier for Lexus just to keep it on the US-spec cars as well.
My 2013 ES has HID's and they do not self adjust! I have no idea how you came up to that conclusion that all US ES's have that feature!
Old 02-26-23, 07:43 AM
NdYAG
Advanced

Received 191 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by autotech13
My 2013 ES has HID's and they do not self adjust! I have no idea how you came up to that conclusion that all US ES's have that feature!
And how do you know you do not have it? It is almost impossible to see them operate as they probably adjust very slowly. It took me 8 years of ownership to find out about this system - and only because my height sensor broke.

Here is the illustration from the USA 2013 ES user manual. Look in your instrument cluster for this light to illuminate during startup - I would bet your car should have it.

UPDATE: Just tested the system in my garage and could see it work without Techstream: 1. Start the car or better put it in the ignition mode (hit the start button twice without pressing on the brake pedal). 2. Step outside and put your weight on the trunk lid - this will slightly lower the rear end of the car. 3. Within 1-2 seconds you would see the headlights self-adjust and hear the headlight motors buzz (here it helps to be in the ignition mode so the engine is not running).

You can also check if you have the suspension height sensor behind the muffler.

Last edited by NdYAG; 02-27-23 at 08:04 AM.

Quick Reply: ES features you did not know about.