ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Why would you buy a new ES?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-17, 05:20 PM
roninlexus
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This notion that an used vehicle is almost exactly the same as a brand new vehicle for a fraction of the price is a misnomer.

I would have to disagree. Although you are correct of course a 38K mile 350 would be intrinsically different and subject to a varying amount of wear and tear that a new car would not be. Also not everyone's new car (albeit just like used) is perfect or problem free. A used , one owner and well taken car of can certainly be free from rattles, rough idle, door dents etc. So for me at least the experience of owning my "new" car even with 38K on the clock is close enough and/or equal too the "new car experience" for me that after looking at new and then finding the car I'm in, the choice was easy. And that choice was made easier (for me anyway) due to the approx. 14K price difference. BTW- I have a a ton (probably too much) attention to detail and keep my car(s) in like new condition. I think what makes the most sense to me (above) is if you know you are going to keep the car 5-10 years, new sounds like a great option. I like the fact that with my Lexus, I can keep it for years or trade if I get a wild hair. Personal preference I guess.
Old 05-12-17, 05:52 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

My wife drives a 2011 Accord coupe which she dearly loves. It has just turned 30,000 miles and has no scratches, door dings, or other defects. It is in my mind an example of a "new" used car. The big difference from new is the lack of the technology that is available now. When she drives my 2016 RX350 she really likes the blind spot monitor, cross traffic warning. 360 degree camera, etc. Recently, some idiot backed out right in front of her and the automatic braking responded and prevented a wreck.

Steve
Old 05-12-17, 07:26 PM
iowaman
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for all your responses, it is refreshing to share thoughts and opinions with people that are educated and can support their opinions rationally even though we may not agree on everything.

I guess I better understand now why some may prefer to buy a new car- If I were to account for all the money I have spent on travelling, rental cars and hotels, it would probably add up to hundreds of thousands of dollars but I have never felt like travelling was a waste of money, it is about the experience, so I guess to each its own.

With that being said, I just saw a 2008 ES 350 listed on Craigslist- condition appears to be mint although pictures may be misleading- $11000 with 92K miles. If I had an immediate need for a newer Lexus, I would probably buy this car cash and drive it to the ground.

I understand some people may value the initial warranty that comes with a new Lexus- but all I did some basic homework before buying my ES330- visual inspection, scanned for codes with the OBD scanner, nothing concerning, only a couple codes about the oxygen sensor which is not a huge deal- took to my mechanic for a second opinion, everything was cool except it has a minor oil leak which he said I should not worry about- if I ever wanted to fix it, I could do it all for under $500.

As long as you do your homework, check for codes and do a pre-purchase inspection, I feel good about buying another used Lexus from here on.

Last edited by iowaman; 05-12-17 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-12-17, 09:29 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Also in the past, cars did not change much year to year. Sure, the body styles changed, but the engines, transmissions were the same. These days there is very rapid development in electronics. You will likely not get Blind Spot Monitoring, Adaptive Cruise Control and extra airbags etc in a 5 year old car. Some people value those features, so a new car is worth it for them.
The following users liked this post:
WNC (05-15-23)
Old 05-13-17, 04:08 AM
Brewno
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always purchased new cars. Recently, however, I discovered the value of CPO (certified previously owned). I went ahead, and bought a 2014 ES 350 with luxury package in deep sea mica. The car had 28,000 miles, and I purchased it for $18,000 off MSRP. The salesperson showed me the re-conditioning work the dealership had performed before putting the car on sale, and I was impressed with the amount of work that was done. The tires were brand new. Floor mats were new. I don't think a non-Lexus dealer would have done this kind of work. Even better, you get the warranty of a new car and free maintenance for 2 years. The only problem I've encountered was a buzz from the left front speaker, and that went away on its own. The car looks new and runs perfectly. The only thing I've done is deodorize the interior with an odor eliminator. I'm happy with this purchase, and feel no 'guilt' about buying a 'new' car.
Old 05-13-17, 04:13 AM
roninlexus
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I gotta agree with Zes and OldCajon. A very rational reason (perhaps even more important as we get older) for new/newer is the technology.. Cool gadgets are one thing, but many of these new safety features warn and/or actually brake to prevent collisions. That could an option that saves the day (or a lot more) if needed... This type technology (below) is pretty awesome..
http://www.subaru.com/engineering/eyesight.html
WNC (05-15-23)
Old 05-13-17, 06:21 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

All I know is in 40 plus years of buying cars, it was the used cars that caused me the most problems. Maybe some people get rid of a car for a reason.
Old 05-15-17, 01:23 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by roninlexus
I gotta agree with Zes and OldCajon. A very rational reason (perhaps even more important as we get older) for new/newer is the technology.. Cool gadgets are one thing, but many of these new safety features warn and/or actually brake to prevent collisions.
I'm 62 and I'm forced to agree... my ES has the blind spot monitor, it's great and has saved my tail many times and has prevented me from pulling over into a vehicle in that blind spot... However my car doesn't have the "braking" technology.. back in Feb. I had a small front end collision with my ES. no metal damage but the front bumper / grill clip was destroyed... would have loved it if the car would have stopped me automatically.. Thank God I was only going 10 to 15 mph when my head was turned to pull into traffic not knowing the kid in front of me stopped cold.

Poppa
Old 05-15-17, 04:53 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,303 Likes on 908 Posts

The standard safety package that will be included on all ES cars by the end of 2017 is enough for me to upgrade to a new car. Like many on this forum, reflexes and reaction times decline with age. The added safety features are worth every penny. In addition to the blindspot monitor my favorite is the rear cross traffic alert for when an idiot walks behind the car when you're backing out of a space.
Old 05-15-17, 05:24 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,014 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
The standard safety package that will be included on all ES cars by the end of 2017 is enough for me to upgrade to a new car. Like many on this forum, reflexes and reaction times decline with age. The added safety features are worth every penny. In addition to the blindspot monitor my favorite is the rear cross traffic alert for when an idiot walks behind the car when you're backing out of a space.
+1

After having had the Safety+ package on the 2017 ES that I bought in November, I'll never buy another vehicle without those safety features. The amount that they add to the price of the car is minimal, and, if, for example, the auto braking only has to do its job once when needed or if the lane departure alert or blind spot monitor only does its job when needed one time, the cost of having those features on the car is well worth the price.

Even in normal driving, I've come especially to a appreciate the blind spot monitor, and, with the lane departure alert, I think that it is neat to see that, not only does it warn the driver when the car starts to drift out of its lane, but it also gently steers the car back into the lane.

In recent months, I've been looking to replace my GX with with a smaller SUV, and the size of the NX would be about right for my needs, but, for some reason, even though the Safety System is supposed to be an available option on the NX, Lexus has not been building/shipping any of the NX with the Safety System at all. As, I said above, I won't buy a vehicle at any time in the future if it doesn't have those safety features.
Old 04-03-23, 03:18 PM
UTChE96
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Pluses of buying a used car:
Cheaper initial cost

Deltas of buy a used car:
Outdated technology
Likely not your 1st choice of interior / exterior color & trim.
Older safety features
Sacrificial parts (brakes, timing belt, etc) are closer to end of life
Higher maintenance costs
Unknown ownership and maintenance history
Lower reliability than a new car
Higher probability of purchasing a lemon
Never get that "new" car feeling

I typically buy new cars configured exactly as I want them, take meticulous care of them, and keep them for a very long time (10+ years). The incremental upfront cost becomes negligible over the long-term.

Last edited by UTChE96; 04-04-23 at 12:33 PM.
Kijug (04-03-23)
Old 04-03-23, 04:51 PM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Ditto as UTChE96. My 2014 ES 350/UL (fully loaded) is now nine years old. Outside has a few nicks from road debris, sort of expected. Inside is as best you can have after nine years (the seats show SOME wear as expected, but everything is still in great condition otherwise). I'm looking at getting a 2026 ES in three years when my ES is 12 years old. Should still be able to trade in for $18,000+ by then I suspect.

FWIW: My old 1990 Subaru Legacy I had for 12 years; my 2003 Acura TL Type-S I had for 12 years (bought in 2002, tho, early release). Then in 2014 I bought my 2014 ES 350/UL which is now nine years old. I've noticed on the previous two cars, though lower quality, plastic and cheap material things start to go after eight and certainly after 10 years. So I keep my cars for 10+ years also. Also note, my son still is driving the 2003 Acura TL Type-S (last "good quality" Acura TL/TSX/TLX in my opinion--barring the transmission snafu).

While I know buying is cheaper in the long run, this is a good video, I thought, that gives hard data:
UTChE96 (04-03-23)
Old 04-04-23, 01:13 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

If it was just about money, everyone would buy a used Toyota Prius. It would be reliable and get great gas mileage.

The reason right now for buying new is is used cars are crazy expensive. It's still a "better deal" to buy used, but for many people, the difference is no longer worth it.
I have traditionally always bought used, but even I feel buying new at this point in time makes sense for me.

Old 04-04-23, 01:27 PM
NdYAG
Advanced

Received 194 Likes on 135 Posts

This thread is from 2017. Why are we discussing buying new 6th Gen ES when it has been out of production for 5 years?
Old 04-04-23, 02:32 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 204 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by NdYAG
This thread is from 2017. Why are we discussing buying new 6th Gen ES when it has been out of production for 5 years?
Drat, those pesky details again! LOL