ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Oil level on the dip stick

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-17, 07:03 PM
isauce
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil level on the dip stick

On a 2014 Lexus ES300h, where should the oil level be at? Looking at the oil dip stick, of course.
Old 06-07-17, 07:16 PM
GES
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

there are 2 bumps at the end of the dip stick. The oil level should be anywhere between the 2 bumps. Better if it was closer to the upper bump.
Old 06-07-17, 07:47 PM
isauce
Driver School Candidate

According to the owners manual, checking the oil should be after the car is warmed up. I ask such a simple question for the fact that i check the oil on my newly bought ES 300h (used, but new to me) , and the oil is above the second dot closer to the stop (zig-zag) on the oil dip stick. I haven't warmed the car up to check.
Old 06-07-17, 08:13 PM
GES
Pole Position

[QUOTE=isauce;9890713]According to the owners manual, checking the oil should be after the car is warmed up. I ask such a simple question for the fact that i check the oil on my newly bought ES 300h (used, but new to me) , and the oil is above the second dot closer to the stop (zig-zag) on the oil dip stick. I haven't warmed the car up to check.[/QUOT

The engine has to be off. Then when you pull the dip stick first time you have to wipe it clean, reinsert it all the way, wait couple seconds then pull it out again and check the level. shouldn't be above the upper dot by much
Old 06-07-17, 08:50 PM
GES
Pole Position

Ideally the oil level should be between the 2 dots. If it is at or slightly above the second dot not a big deal, especially if the oil was changed recently. As you drive the car some of the oil is consumed by the engine and the level may drop a bit.
Old 06-07-17, 09:33 PM
isauce
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your reply and taking the time... i was afraid of that, but not surprised. I took the car around the corner to warm it up and and checked the oil level.
Yes, motor off, and wiped cleaned the oil stick and checked it... way pass the second dot and closer to the bump on the dip stick.
I will change the oil and filter to be sure there is 4.6 qts. (near or at the second dot and not at the bump on the oil stick). Bought it at the Keyes Lexus dealer in Van Nuys.
Looks like the oil and filter is the same as my wife's 2013 Highlander Hybrid...
Old 06-08-17, 05:55 AM
GES
Pole Position

The oil filter part # is 04152-YZZA1
The oil is 0W-20 Full Synthetic. I use Mobile 1.
Old 06-08-17, 06:02 AM
isauce
Driver School Candidate

thank you again... exactly. I've been using the Toyota motor oil on the Highlander Hybrid since I get a discount, but will switch to Mobil. Much cheaper $ at Wal Mart.... By the way, what Lexus do you drive?
Old 06-08-17, 07:07 AM
GES
Pole Position

Mine is 2013 ES300h
Old 06-09-17, 09:23 AM
isauce
Driver School Candidate

Cool...

Question, my 2014 ES 300h has the hard PLASTIC oil filter housing assy, part # 15620-36020. My Wife's Highlander Hybrid as the metal oil filter housing assy. Which is much better and was wondering if I can get the metal oil filter housing assy and replace the plastic one? The metal oil filter housing part number is 15620-31060 ... don't know if it would fit? Any ideal ? Or is there a different part number for the metal one?
Old 06-09-17, 09:51 AM
isauce
Driver School Candidate

by the way, I changed out my oil yesterday and measured exactly 4.6 qts., replaced the oil filter and checked the oil dip stick... it measured below the second dot (about a quarter inch below) on the stick.
Lexus dealer or previous owner had over filled it... knuckleheads!.
Old 06-09-17, 03:49 PM
GES
Pole Position

I had the same observation about the oil filter housing. For some reason (maybe weight) Lexus decided to use plastic filter housing on the 300h. I think it works well as long as you don't over tighten it. You can crack it and then you end up with oil leak. You have to be gentle with it. Or use the specified torque when you tighten it. For that you need torque wrench. The engineering of the housing makes it hold tight seal even with very little tightening. No need for force at all. The torque value for theoil filter housing is18 Ft-Ib if I remember well. In comparison the oil drain plug has 30 Ft-Lb value. So much less force than the drain plug.
Old 06-09-17, 03:58 PM
GES
Pole Position

As for replacing the filter housing with metal one, I am not sure if they make one. Never tried to get one. But I honestly don't think you need to do that. As long as you know that very little force is needed when tightening the housing. Or maybe get another housing just in case.
Old 06-09-17, 04:21 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by GES
there are 2 bumps at the end of the dip stick. The oil level should be anywhere between the 2 bumps. Better if it was closer to the upper bump.
Between two bumps is fine. Car on level ground, when engine is still warm after shutting it down. Wait a while and check. Also watch the color of oil. Drop a blob on a piece of paper and look, clear oil with nothing like dust or sediment? Overfilling engine or tranny fluid are bad.
Old 06-09-17, 06:55 PM
GES
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Htony
Between two bumps is fine. Car on level ground, when engine is still warm after shutting it down. Wait a while and check. Also watch the color of oil. Drop a blob on a piece of paper and look, clear oil with nothing like dust or sediment? Overfilling engine or tranny fluid are bad.
good points

Quick Reply: Oil level on the dip stick