ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Incompatible Bluetooth devices

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-17, 11:45 AM
BlackAdam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Incompatible Bluetooth devices

I recently purchased an LG G6 mobile and some of the Bluetooth functions seem to be kind of wonky. After looking on the Lexus website I see that the phone is incompatible with my 2013 ES 350. Then I decided to see if other newer phones were compatible only to find that they aren't. I then looked to see if these phones were compatible with newer Lexus models and they aren't. Obviously this is something that is going to need to be addressed, but, on who's end? Have anyone noticed Bluetooth problems with newer mobile phones?
Old 06-24-17, 11:58 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

Many Android phones listed as incompatible are, indeed, compatible. I have a 2013 ES 350 and my Google Nexus 5 wasn't even listed. It was compatible. I now have a Google Pixel that, again, isn't even listed. It is also compatible. FYI - the google Nexus phone was made by LG for Google and I would bet that a G6 would mate with our system too. Most Android phones can be utilized via BT with the Lexus infotainment system. My wife has an HTC One M9 - Android which works perfectly. The list on the Lexus web site is by no means complete.
I can't speak for Apple as I've never had one.
Old 06-24-17, 12:26 PM
BlackAdam
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bc6152
Many Android phones listed as incompatible are, indeed, compatible. I have a 2013 ES 350 and my Google Nexus 5 wasn't even listed. It was compatible. I now have a Google Pixel that, again, isn't even listed. It is also compatible. FYI - the google Nexus phone was made by LG for Google and I would bet that a G6 would mate with our system too. Most Android phones can be utilized via BT with the Lexus infotainment system. My wife has an HTC One M9 - Android which works perfectly. The list on the Lexus web site is by no means complete.
I can't speak for Apple as I've never had one.
The phone does indeed work on the Bluetooth system, although, all features aren't functional. I had the LG V10, which is listed as compatible, and all of the features worked properly. This LG G6 has missing functionality, is slightly buggy and it isn't listed. I'm hoping a software update is released to fix the issues I'm having.

​​​​​
Old 06-27-17, 08:18 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

One thing to keep in mind is Lexus isn't going to take a brand new phone and test it on a 4-5 year old car. They test new phones with new cars. If it's not listed doesn't necessarily mean it's not compatible, just that it's not tested. What functionality are you missing?
Other thing comparing iPhones to Androids, software on iPhones are consistent across the different models. Androids are tweaked by their various manufacturers. So a Samsung will work differently that an LG for instance. Google now owns Android and seems to be the most pure form of Android.
Old 06-28-17, 06:38 AM
BlackAdam
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by offroad200
One thing to keep in mind is Lexus isn't going to take a brand new phone and test it on a 4-5 year old car. They test new phones with new cars. If it's not listed doesn't necessarily mean it's not compatible, just that it's not tested. What functionality are you missing?
Other thing comparing iPhones to Androids, software on iPhones are consistent across the different models. Androids are tweaked by their various manufacturers. So a Samsung will work differently that an LG for instance. Google now owns Android and seems to be the most pure form of Android.
I'm comparing the functionality of LG G6 to the LG V10, which I just stopped using. When I checked the list I also checked to see if the G6 was compatible with the newer models of the Lexus brand, and it wasn't. I then checked to see if the Galaxy S8 was compatible with my car or the newer models, and it wasn't. I'm thinking it has to do with the latest Android system Nougat. Hoping for an update from the phone manufactures to address the issues. It's actually not that big of a deal. The phone makes and receives calls just fine. The issues arises in media playback. Track listing and forward/back bugs are present.