ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

'16 ES 350 - stiff, heavy steering?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-17, 02:42 PM
norakat
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Update

So I finally brought it in to Lexus for the heavy steering and as i feared - they said there is no problem.

There is definitely a problem as there was a definite change from when I first drove it from being brand new for the first two months or so.

Symptoms -
- heavy steering; seems to come and go.
- rubbing noise from steering column that coincides with turning the steering wheel. Noise similar to rubbing a glass window w a wet finger.
- also non-linear sound coming from probably the motor inside the dash. This sound comes and goes so it is definitely not normal.

Additional thoughts: Small adjustment in tire pressure impact the steering system too much. E.g 30-32lbs feels much heavier that 33-35lbs. This is ridiculous. It should not be affected that much. I have to reduce tire pressure to 32-33lbs due to it riding too harsh w 18" wheels. 34-35 lbs makes steering better but ride is too harsh.

A friend I met who is a 17 year top mechanic at Toyota told me that possibly I am not getting enough voltage to the motor. He said maybe an intermittent or bad connection. That was his guess.

Regarding the rubbing noise from the steering column - I had this same identical problem with a Chrysler 300. I brought it in to the dealer and they fixed it. The mechanic told me he took the steering column part and greased it or lubricated it or something like that. After that the steering was smooth and that rubbing sound went away.

Problem yet to be determined. Will keep you updated.

Last edited by norakat; 09-08-17 at 02:45 PM. Reason: adding text
Old 09-08-17, 08:21 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

I personally think you should not be driving it until the steering issue is fixed. One cannot mess with an iffy steering or brake system. Better to get it towed to the dealer because somebody can get hurt if it fails completely at the wrong time.
Old 09-08-17, 08:38 PM
norakat
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by zes
I personally think you should not be driving it until the steering issue is fixed. One cannot mess with an iffy steering or brake system. Better to get it towed to the dealer because somebody can get hurt if it fails completely at the wrong time.
I've been driving it with it like that for months. Like I said I brought it in to the dealer and they said there was no problem.
Old 09-09-17, 10:43 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,421 Likes on 1,120 Posts

I looked at this thread a few times now. The more I see described, the more I think tires. These cars are very sensitive about tires especially with front wheel drive. Are the front and back tires all the same type Brand?

So what tires are you running/brand? Speed rating? How much tire wear do you have? And have you had the wheel alignment checked?

Also the tread pattern of the tires can make a big difference. My next thought would be the power steering motor, but I'm thinking you would get a new one and see No difference. Tires?
Old 09-09-17, 11:14 AM
norakat
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jgscott
I looked at this thread a few times now. The more I see described, the more I think tires. These cars are very sensitive about tires especially with front wheel drive. Are the front and back tires all the same type Brand?

So what tires are you running/brand? Speed rating? How much tire wear do you have? And have you had the wheel alignment checked?

Also the tread pattern of the tires can make a big difference. My next thought would be the power steering motor, but I'm thinking you would get a new one and see No difference. Tires?
With me, there is definitely a problem since there is that rubbing sound that comes and goes from the steering column.

I am am running the original tires (Michelin) w the car. They are about halfway (life) through. I am at 35k miles.
Old 09-09-17, 11:53 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 680 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by norakat
I am am running the original tires (Michelin) w the car. They are about halfway (life) through. I am at 35k miles.
35k and halfway? That would be a record on OEM tires!
Old 09-09-17, 11:57 AM
jdr3366
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just want to confirm what most are saying. I have a 2015 RX350. Steering is becoming increasingly stiff going around turns. The dealer has had the SUV twice. First time they said they noticed no problem. The second time they aligned the wheels. Just call the manager and am going back next week. If they want me to buy this lease they have to fix it or I'm going to Audi for my next SUV!
Old 09-09-17, 12:26 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,018 Likes on 696 Posts

With me, there is definitely a problem since there is that rubbing sound that comes and goes from the steering column.

Originally Posted by Mike728
35k and halfway? That would be a record on OEM tires!
That was my thought, too, The Michelin MXV4 or MXM4 tires that have come with the ES only have 9/32" of original tread, and they typically need to be replaced at 40,000 miles or sooner.

And, if there truly are issues with a car's steering system, that can potentially be a cause of increased tire wear. So, having half of the tread left at 35,000 miles is hard to imagine.
Old 09-09-17, 03:51 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Its a moderately high torque/horsepower Front Wheel Drive car. The rubbing sound is on more than a few ES 350's. Don't let that throw you off. Likely Nothing to do with your feel. I'm about 99% sure it's your tires. You even mentioned that when you move the tire pressure around it changes the feel.

Go to a empty parking lot. Make a complete all the way turned wheel u turn to the left, and then to the right. Any bouncing or slipping or funny sensation?

Get you tires tread depth measured, all 4. Inside, outside and middle, all 4. If you are less than 5-4/32'nd? You should be lower in the front unless you did a perfect rotation.

FYI: OEM tires that came on the car usually have less tread life. And are you on 17" or 18"?

Its the tires! And....... check that 4 wheel Alignment too.
Old 09-09-17, 08:51 PM
norakat
Pit Crew

Not sure how tire tread wear can make the steering feel more stiff. If anything slicks should have even less resistance.
Old 09-09-17, 10:55 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

So its just my opinion I offered for help. Lexus Dealer says no problem, and others that drove. Certainly with both members/posters, some comments from Dealers must have been about tires? Maybe not? IDK? But you seem to rule that out completely. Another thing I might do is disconnect the Battery and let set up again. ECU?

I'm just giving you some options as you expressed they say No problems found. 1st thing I would do is put new tires on it. Notice the comment you both posted below. Sorry you are having the problems. I was just trying to give suggestions/help.

"But once underway, especially at speeds above 40 or so, it seems to stiffen up to the point it seems "sticky" and takes a lot of effort to either move it off center, or back to it. After turning a corner and straightening out, the steering seems to "notch" itself about 15 degrees off center, and I have to "drag" it back to center, like dragging it through sludge. Small back-and-forth corrections are kind of fatiguing, especially on the highway. Similarly, going around a long curve (and holding the wheel about 45 degrees or so), it takes quite a firm grip to stop it from yanking me back to center.

Mine has the 17" wheels and Michelin tires, pressures at 33 all around, which creep up to about 38 in the hot weather here, though it doesn't seem to vary with psi.

Anyone else thought the same, or been able to adjust the steering assist? I wouldn't think it was an alignment issue, but maybe?

Additional thoughts: Small adjustment in tire pressure impact the steering system too much. E.g 30-32lbs feels much heavier that 33-35lbs. This is ridiculous. It should not be affected that much. I have to reduce tire pressure to 32-33lbs due to it riding too harsh w 18" wheels. 34-35 lbs makes steering better but ride is too harsh."

•Sport mode increases powertrain and steering responsiveness.
Old 09-10-17, 08:24 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts

What about going to a Lexus dealership and taking a test ride of an ES 350 that's the same year and seeing if there's a difference? I would think if it's a night and day , you could then show a technician something is wrong.