ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Idiot proof transmission fluid level check on very hot summer day?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-17, 03:48 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Idiot proof transmission fluid level check on very hot summer day?

Am writing to verify whether or not the following simple, uncomplicated, low tech procedure would be an accurate way to check to see if the fluid level is correct on a summer day when the afternoon temp is expected to reach 104 degrees or slightly higher.

1) Loosen the 24mm transmission oil filler plug

1) Start car for the first time on a day when the afternoon temp reaches 104 degrees (which assures the fluid temp is 104) and then with the engine idling slowly shift through all the gears ending in Park.

2) When engine idle speed stablizes at between 600-700 rpm, loosen and remove the 6 mm tranmission oil pan drain plug

3) When the fluid flow slows to a trickle, the fluid level can be assumed to be correct and the 6 mm tranmission oil pan drain plug can be reinstalled. If no fluid comes out after removing the 6 mm pan drain plug, then add new fluid that is about 104 degrees through the 24mm transmission oil filler plug until some does come out of the 6 mm tranmission oil pan drain plug.
Old 07-03-17, 04:04 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

Since your car doesn't have a dipstick to check the level, the car would have to go on a lift to view the transmission check valve on the bottom of the trans. This transmission is designed by the manufacturer to be maintenance free. No maintenance - no dipstick - no adding fluid...
Old 07-03-17, 07:00 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bc6152
the car would have to go on a lift to view the transmission check valve on the bottom of the trans. This transmission is designed by the manufacturer to be maintenance free. No maintenance - no dipstick - no adding fluid...
No lift needed - jackstands are sufficient to reach the transmission drain plug, the engine oil drain plug and the engine oil filter. Todays Toyota automatics are inherently more fragile and wear out the transmission fluid earlier than ever due to their light duty design to save vehicle weight and boost fuel economy, higher operating temps (180-190 degrees F vs 130 - 160 in the 1970's - 90's) to boost fuel economy, and constant shifting due to the 6 speed design (vs. 3-4 speeds in the 70's - 90's). Additionally, today's automatics have multiple electronic shift control solenoids that are prone to getting sticky or fail completely if varnish like deposits form on them due to neglected fluid changes.
Old 07-03-17, 07:09 PM
morgan1819
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Just curious ... what is going on that makes you want to check the level? If it shifts well, and your garage floor is free of transmission fluid, the level should be where it needs to be.

My local service department has mentioned that Lexus has specified it as 'long life' transmission fluid. These cars have a rather exemplary history of drivetrain longevity, so I have no reason to doubt them in this regard.

( your procedure sounds like it could work, i don't doubt that )

Last edited by morgan1819; 07-03-17 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-03-17, 07:36 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Originally Posted by morgan1819
Just curious ... what is going on that makes you want to check the level?
I want to be able to find a simple, uncostly, idiotproof method to accurately determine the fluid level after I do three pan drain and refills. Also, some of these 6 speed transmissions were underfilled at the factory.
Old 07-03-17, 08:30 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

I thought I was a little obsessive but that sounds just plan crazy. Not necessary.

But it is your car.

Dave Mac
Old 07-03-17, 09:01 PM
primavera
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by gemigniani
Am writing to verify whether or not the following simple, uncomplicated, low tech procedure would be an accurate way to check to see if the fluid level is correct on a summer day when the afternoon temp is expected to reach 104 degrees or slightly higher.

1) Loosen the 24mm transmission oil filler plug

1) Start car for the first time on a day when the afternoon temp reaches 104 degrees (which assures the fluid temp is 104) and then with the engine idling slowly shift through all the gears ending in Park.

2) When engine idle speed stablizes at between 600-700 rpm, loosen and remove the 6 mm tranmission oil pan drain plug

3) When the fluid flow slows to a trickle, the fluid level can be assumed to be correct and the 6 mm transmission oil pan drain plug can be reinstalled. If no fluid comes out after removing the 6 mm pan drain plug, then add new fluid that is about 104 degrees through the 24mm transmission oil filler plug until some does come out of the 6 mm tranmission oil pan drain plug.
Just because the temp outside reaches 104°F that doesn't mean your fluid inside the transmission and torque converter has the same temperature.
Get yourself ScanGauge II and it will show you exact temp (between 104 and 113°F) then you will see when to undo the drain bolt to get the correct fluid level.
Watch the video how it's done.

Old 07-03-17, 11:57 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Originally Posted by primavera
Just because the temp outside reaches 104°F that doesn't mean your fluid inside the transmission and torque converter has the same temperature.
Get yourself ScanGauge II and it will show you exact temp (between 104 and 113°F) then you will see when to undo the drain bolt to get the correct fluid level.
Watch the video how it's done.
I don't think the ScanGauge II is necessary if the car hasn't been driven for 24 hours because then transmission and its fluid should gradually heat up to 104 degrees by the late afternoon hours just like the outside air temperature has. To verify that assumption I can measure the temp of the fluid that flows or dribbes out directly with a conventional household bulb thermometer.
Old 07-04-17, 06:01 AM
morgan1819
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice video. My favorite line: "Amsoil is a better product. It has been tested by Amsoil."

I am sure Amsoil is a fine product, I just think it's funny when people search out a magic potion to put in their car, when it runs and shifts flawlessly with the factory fluids. We do love to tinker.

Old 07-04-17, 06:56 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

I believe that Toyota wants the buyer of their luxury cars and non-luxury cars to be happy with their purchase. Thy design cars to be as simple to maintain as possible while building dependability and reliability into them. I'm assured that Toyota engineers have vigorously tested the sealed transmission and determined that it is reliable and can be maintenance free to the end user. I also believe that the Toyota engineers are quite a bit smarter than most buyers of their Lexus cars. I rest my head each night believing that my nearly 5 year old transmission that works flawlessly has a long way to go before going to transmission heaven...
Old 07-04-17, 01:48 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

The following users liked this post:
NA2NC (03-02-20)
Old 07-04-17, 09:12 PM
primavera
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 262 Posts

Little bit on "sealed (from owner) transmissions"

Old 07-05-17, 09:13 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

You definitely have to be very careful doing this on jack stands because the vehicle needs to be level. It's not just about access, if the front end is lifted higher than the back, you can't get an accurate fill level.

I like tackling DIY projects, but I personally think you're going to get yourself in far more trouble messing with it than either leaving it alone or taking it to a dealership.

If Lexus routinely under filled these from the factory, you would see a huge amount of fried transmissions and class action lawsuits. Has even one person on this forum said they had a transmission problem when they bought it new?
Old 07-05-17, 09:44 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BradTank
You definitely have to be very careful doing this on jack stands because the vehicle needs to be level. It's not just about access, if the front end is lifted higher than the back, you can't get an accurate fill level.

I like tackling DIY projects, but I personally think you're going to get yourself in far more trouble messing with it than either leaving it alone or taking it to a dealership.

If Lexus routinely under filled these from the factory, you would see a huge amount of fried transmissions and class action lawsuits. Has even one person on this forum said they had a transmission problem when they bought it new?
And where did the information that Lexus routinely under fills transmissions come from in the first place? Has it actually been verified or is it just a rumor?
Old 07-05-17, 09:59 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Anyone know if an improper procedure might effect the factory warranty if a problem develops?

Quick Reply: Idiot proof transmission fluid level check on very hot summer day?