ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Reserve fuel capacity

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-17, 12:52 PM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Reserve fuel capacity

Hello friends... quick question for you.. I was wondering if anyone knows how much reserve fuel you have on the ES 350. I know the tank spec says 17.2 gallons. But yesterday I was on the highway and noticed my fuel was down to about 1/4 tank. I was in the middle of nowhere, not a gas station to be seen for what seemed like forever... anyway when I finally found a gas station, the little yellow gas tank icon was visible on the dash and the computer said I had approx. 22 miles left before zero... I have always thought that the fuel reserve was about a gallon but that can't be right. I topped her off and she took right at 14 gallons. well 14 gallons plus 1 reserve gallon cant be right.. so is the reserve really closer to 2 to 2.5 gallons? It doesn't really make any difference. I just want to see if my on board computer is giving me reliable information and so I know how much I have left if I were to run it down to zero. I have a standing policy that I normally do not let my fuel get below 1/4 tank but caught off guard yesterday. Thanks in advance for your help guys..

Poppa
Old 07-25-17, 01:10 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
Hello friends... quick question for you.. I was wondering if anyone knows how much reserve fuel you have on the ES 350. I know the tank spec says 17.2 gallons. But yesterday I was on the highway and noticed my fuel was down to about 1/4 tank. I was in the middle of nowhere, not a gas station to be seen for what seemed like forever... anyway when I finally found a gas station, the little yellow gas tank icon was visible on the dash and the computer said I had approx. 22 miles left before zero... I have always thought that the fuel reserve was about a gallon but that can't be right. I topped her off and she took right at 14 gallons. well 14 gallons plus 1 reserve gallon cant be right.. so is the reserve really closer to 2 to 2.5 gallons? It doesn't really make any difference. I just want to see if my on board computer is giving me reliable information and so I know how much I have left if I were to run it down to zero. I have a standing policy that I normally do not let my fuel get below 1/4 tank but caught off guard yesterday. Thanks in advance for your help guys..

Poppa
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...ive-empty-gas/
Old 07-25-17, 02:50 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 643 Likes on 483 Posts

I think it's like a little over 2 gallons after it reads 0. Pretty much what you observed after filling up.
Old 07-25-17, 02:52 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

Hmmm. No listing for Lexus...
Old 07-25-17, 03:04 PM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Agreed it is about 2.5 gallons. At roughly 24-29 MPG (being safe) I always figure I have 50 miles or 75 miles to go once the light comes on, depending if I'm in the city or highway. Then I'm on fumes for another 20+ miles if push came to shove....only once, mind you! =)
Old 07-25-17, 03:15 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
so is the reserve really closer to 2 to 2.5 gallons?

Poppa
I think that your guess is probably pretty accurate. My guess would be about 2.5 gallons, the top of your range.

I'm not sure that the low fuel warning is precise enough to come on with the exact same amount of fuel left on all ES vehicles or that it even comes on at precisely the same point all of the time. Things like whether you are driving on level terrain or not can have an effect on when the warning comes on.

Originally Posted by bc6152
Hmmm. No listing for Lexus...
I think that the ES is in the part of the chart that is printed in invisible ink.

Last edited by lesz; 07-25-17 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-25-17, 04:06 PM
tm14930
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the 2017 ES, on page 483 of the owners manual, it says the warning light will come on with appx 2.6 gal. remaining, ...or less.
Old 07-25-17, 04:42 PM
Poppa
Instructor

Thanks guys.... I have always "assumed" you had about 1 gallon left when the computer zero'ed out.. nice to know there is actually at least 2 gallons / 2.5 gallons... just a little more wiggle room.. but I have no intentions of checking it to find out! appreciate the info guys.. thanks again.

Poppa
Old 07-25-17, 09:22 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

I have heard that many manufacturers place the fuel pump in the tank and use the fuel to help keep it cool, thus it is possible to overheat the pump by running the fuel to the last drop. Anyone know if this is true, or at least whether it is the case with the ES? Can squeezing the very last drop put the pump at risk?
Old 07-26-17, 04:55 AM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

I wouldn't dare try, especially on the hybrid because the engine always has to be ready to run. It's possible to drain the traction battery below a safe limit if the engine doesn't start. Probably flatbed time if that happens.
Old 07-26-17, 01:49 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Ok, who wants to be the guinea pig.?

Run your car till the fuel warning light comes on, then keep going till it dies. Come back and report your findings for the benefit of one and all.
Old 07-27-17, 08:53 AM
Universe93
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Maikerusan

Run your car till the fuel warning light comes on, then keep going till it dies. Come back and report your findings for the benefit of one and all.
Report back here please. This can be very exciting and get the adrenaline running. Remember Kramer and Seinfeld has a lot of fun testing out the Saab.
Old 07-27-17, 02:35 PM
tnpats5
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Great to know I don't have to panic anymore when I see that fuel light come on.
Old 07-27-17, 11:49 PM
Poppa
Instructor

Originally Posted by Maikerusan

Not me, thank you.. a few years back I rented a Chrysler 300.. Took it from Louisiana to St. Louis.. normally I always stay on the main highways, but not this time... took a " shorter " route that only cut off about 50 miles, but it was mainly 2 lane highway, 60 mph speed limits and nothing to look at but farmers fields.. horrible choice.. anyway driving along and I see the gas gauge was down below a quarter of a tank.. I start looking for a station, a little later the low fuel indicator comes on and now I'm getting nervous... shortly after that I look at the gauge and it is down to the E.... and not a station ( or town ) in sight... I swear I drove another 50 miles ( had to be on fumes ) and I see a small convenience store with 2 gas pumps.. I whip in there just as the owner is coming out the door and locking up... SAY WHAT!!! He told me they closed at five pm and it was then 10 after... I asked how far to the next gas station and he told me about 15 miles... I pleaded with the owner to go back in and turn the pumps on.. Thankfully he was a nice guy and understood my situation ( and I think he could see how pissed off my wife was at me for taking the "short cut " ) and he did go back in and let me fuel up... never again.. It's one thing to run out of gas on a main highway.. but it's another to run out of gas on a two lane hiway out in the middle of the country where there is hardly any traffic and you're only about 30 minutes away from sunset ( winter time ). Can you imagine the butt chewing I would have gotten from the wife had we actually run out of gas!!.. Hence, our rule now is 1/4 tank, fill up.

Poppa
Old 08-04-17, 06:22 PM
mrBillFL
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ward6096
I have heard that many manufacturers place the fuel pump in the tank and use the fuel to help keep it cool, thus it is possible to overheat the pump by running the fuel to the last drop. Anyone know if this is true, or at least whether it is the case with the ES? Can squeezing the very last drop put the pump at risk?

This is generally true of cars since 1990 or so.

you have to drop the fuel tank to replace the pump so its a lot of labor, plus parts... heat kills, refill early!

Quick Reply: Reserve fuel capacity