ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Got hit in the front

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-17, 01:48 PM
RKF350
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 65 Posts
Angry Got hit in the front

The other day going home, someone ran a stop sign and when I saw her coming, I stopped and hit the horn... She was looking down at something, probably her phone, and looked up in time to hit her brakes but hit my car. I was making a left and a 3 way stop and she hit me at an angle.
At first glance it's seems not so bad but the car thinks the hood is open and keeps sounding the alert. Her car caught the bumper bar under neath, and it pushed me several feet.
Now I see that the right fender, front bumper and left fender have all been moved to the left of the car. The drivers door is barely clearing the fender when you open it. I haven't opened the hood.
Insurance told me not to drive it and the adjuster has not inspected it yet. Called a guy at the dealer that I trust and he said that there is a frame in the front bolted to the unibody and that is most likely bent.
Love this car... Sad day.
Attached Thumbnails Got hit in the front-pic-1a.jpg   Got hit in the front-pic-2a.jpg   Got hit in the front-pic-3a.jpg  
Old 10-19-17, 03:09 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by RKF350
The other day going home, someone ran a stop sign and when I saw her coming, I stopped and hit the horn... She was looking down at something, probably her phone, and looked up in time to hit her brakes but hit my car. I was making a left and a 3 way stop and she hit me at an angle.
At first glance it's seems not so bad but the car thinks the hood is open and keeps sounding the alert. Her car caught the bumper bar under neath, and it pushed me several feet.
Now I see that the right fender, front bumper and left fender have all been moved to the left of the car. The drivers door is barely clearing the fender when you open it. I haven't opened the hood.
Insurance told me not to drive it and the adjuster has not inspected it yet. Called a guy at the dealer that I trust and he said that there is a frame in the front bolted to the unibody and that is most likely bent.
Sorry to hear of your accident. I hope they repair it as good as new and you can forget it ever happened.
Old 10-19-17, 05:31 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry to see this - ours was recently hit in a parking lot by someone who left the scene, essentially in the same front left location as yours. We had no frame or metal body damage - final damage was almost $4k - yours looks and sounds like it will most likely exceed that.
Old 10-19-17, 06:16 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by bgaerttner
Sorry to see this - ours was recently hit in a parking lot by someone who left the scene, essentially in the same front left location as yours. We had no frame or metal body damage - final damage was almost $4k - yours looks and sounds like it will most likely exceed that.
How did they do matching your Atomic Silver? I love that color but it looks like it could be tricky to get a decent match.

Oh, and very sorry to hear of your accident RKF350. A good body shop should be able to make this good as new. It doesn't really look too bad but I know it is disappointing.

Last edited by TechNut; 10-19-17 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-19-17, 06:49 PM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ward6096
How did they do matching your Atomic Silver? I love that color but it looks like it could be tricky to get a decent match.

Oh, and very sorry to hear of your accident RKF350. A good body shop should be able to make this good as new. It doesn't really look too bad but I know it is disappointing.
We were concerned about color match but the shop who did the work has an excellent reputation here and they did an outstanding job - car looks great. Although, it did sting a bit having to fork over the 500 deductible when we weren’t even in the car when the damage occurred.
Old 10-19-17, 08:57 PM
DanZ
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Very sorry to read this. I think they should be able to repair this one to as good as new. They would have to remove the front bumper and side panels to gain access.

If you are familiar with the show Wheeler Dealers on Velocity channel, you can see the frame that gets bent on impact on 1974 Ford Mustang. They showed it very briefly at the beginning of the show.
Old 10-20-17, 01:28 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Sorry to hear about the accident but glad you weren't hurt... I had an accident in my es back in Feb.. no metal damage, all front grill and bumper and one headlight assembly. Just to give you something to compare it to, my damages came out to around 4900.00 As someone else stated, your damage will probably exceed that, but even so, it doesn't look all that bad and I'm sure that it will be good as new when you get it back...

Poppa
Old 10-20-17, 04:00 PM
tnpats5
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hear you been in an accident. Makes my heart drop cause your car is the same color as mine. I hope they fix it as good as new. Wishing you luck.
Old 10-20-17, 06:25 PM
RKF350
Intermediate

The adjuster came and inspected and wrote up his report. The fenders and hood are not damage and will not require repainting. Ironically the clear bra appears to have saved the paint where the hood and fenders over lap.
The headlights, fog lights and grill surround appear to be good, IF the clips are not broken. The grill (bars) do have cracks. The bumper cover will need to be replaced.
It appears the frame is bent slightly. The radiator supports are bent.
The car keeps alerting me that the hood is open and that is loud and annoying. He discovered that the switch had been moved enough that the wires pulled out (bare copper exposed).
After the body shop removes the bumper cover there may be more damage.
His estimate is $2,700.
Goes in on Tuesday. I'll post pictures when its done.
Old 10-20-17, 07:44 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

I suspect that there is a good chance that the final repair bill will end up being somewhat higher than that $2700 estimate. There a good chance that they will find more damage behind the bumper, and the cost of even small things, such as parking sensors and brackets, can add up. Also, though, matching metallic red can be tricky, and there is a good chance that they will have to blend the new paint into the adjacent panels to get a satisfactory match. If they have to blend the paint, not only will doing that be a significant addition to the refinishing cost, but that would also mean having to replace the paint protection film on the hood and fenders.

Note also that, with replacing the paint protection film, I suspect that you will be told that that can't be done until the paint has had 60-90 days to fully cure. If that is the case, you need to make sure that there is an insurance allowance for having that done down the road.

Good luck with the repairs.
Old 10-21-17, 01:17 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

The adjuster came and inspected and wrote up his report. The fenders and hood are not damage and will not require repainting. Ironically the clear bra appears to have saved the paint where the hood and fenders over lap.
The headlights, fog lights and grill surround appear to be good, IF the clips are not broken. The grill (bars) do have cracks. The bumper cover will need to be replaced.
It appears the frame is bent slightly. The radiator supports are bent.
The car keeps alerting me that the hood is open and that is loud and annoying. He discovered that the switch had been moved enough that the wires pulled out (bare copper exposed).
After the body shop removes the bumper cover there may be more damage.
His estimate is $2,700.
Goes in on Tuesday. I'll post pictures when its done.
RFK... sounds like they got the ball rolling now on getting you fixed up. Honestly, even though the damage doesn't look bad at all, I was still surprised that the estimate was only 2700. As others have said they may ( or may not ) uncover other things as they get into it.. in that case the body shop would just write a supplement and hand it off to the insurance company. As you can see in the pics below, the damage to the front end of mine looks like it was more severe than yours.. even so my damage was all grill / bumper stuff plus one headlight assembly... Just the Lexus oem headlight assembly was around 1600 bucks... all total my damage came out to around 4900.00 Thankfully they put mine back together good as new... last pic is the day I got it back from the body shop... love my little red es... Good luck with your repairs..
Attached Thumbnails Got hit in the front-damage-video-on-02-09-2017-1-.jpg   Got hit in the front-damage-video-on-02-09-2017-2-.jpg   Got hit in the front-damage-video-on-02-09-2017-3-.jpg   Got hit in the front-lexus-after-the-repairs-were-finished.-02-23-2017-9-.jpg  
Old 10-21-17, 03:42 PM
RKF350
Intermediate

Looks like your repair is excellent. I went out and found a picture of the lower grill and its interesting that above the passenger side parking sensor there is a section of the grill that is made to come out but not on the other side. Looks like my grill is good. Tow hook?

Last edited by RKF350; 10-21-17 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Update
Old 10-26-17, 01:35 PM
RKF350
Intermediate

Well, the body shop called. Estimate has been revised to $11,000... the engine and trans have to be removed and the frame replaced. They are estimating that at the earliest they will have the car ready to go to Lexus is the middle of November for the a/c, braking and whatever else put back together... I am totally pissed off that this woman hit me... I wonder if she will know what she has done to my car and what a major inconvenience this is... AND still not police report yet.
Old 10-27-17, 09:00 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Well, the body shop called. Estimate has been revised to $11,000... the engine and trans have to be removed and the frame replaced. They are estimating that at the earliest they will have the car ready to go to Lexus is the middle of November for the a/c, braking and whatever else put back together... I am totally pissed off that this woman hit me... I wonder if she will know what she has done to my car and what a major inconvenience this is... AND still not police report yet.
Wow - all because someone was not considerate enough to pay attention and drive safely. I’m sorry you are having to go through this. I know how bad we felt when our car was hit and were without it for less than a week. Just a reminder - in CA, there is a report you need to file with the DMV within 10 days if the damage exceeds $1k - the police and/or your insurance company will not do it.
Old 11-29-17, 07:09 AM
RKF350
Intermediate

Update: The police report finally came in. The person that hit me was found at fault.
However, my car is still in the shop. I took the car in on on 10/20. Three revised estimates on the damage. The entire front end of the car is off, including the engine and trans. They are wielding a new frame section and then putting it all back together to be towed to the dealer for everything to be re-connected and checked... This has been a nightmare.
I would love to go get a 2017 right now with the incentives but I have no car to "trade-in" (Lexus will not touch the car because of the frame damage and neither will Carmax)...
I am working with someone to move forward on a diminished claim when I get the car back...
I wish they had totaled the car.

Quick Reply: Got hit in the front