ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Speaker replacement experience 2013

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-21, 05:01 PM
Buki19
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speakers

My buddy is a Lexus mechanic and he said anything you change in the speakers would void warranty if it’s not OEM and it’s related to the stereo. That’s like saying if you sold someone a car and they blew up the head unit by putting in different speakers and bring it back to you saying something is wrong with the stereo. So you have to fix it. I was mentioning the time alignment and aftermarket amps when I was saying elaborate. I just wanted to swap out speakers and wanted to know what type to put in coax or dedicated woofer/mids
It may be easy for you but other people it may be hard…. I’m just trying to do something easy and quick that will give best results
Old 10-26-21, 07:20 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,320 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Your Lexus shop Tech does not do the Warranty claims. It matters not to me what you do or don't. I have never heard of anyone who changed out the car speakers with the correct aftermarket matched ones who damaged anything in the car. Like I said before except for a incorrect human error hook up. I have heard of amps with incorrectly matched speakers blowing speakers, but not the amp if the speakers are hooked up and correct speakers used.

In fact its another myth about using parts other that for example Lexus only speakers. For the record some Lexus audio systems are going bad with the Lexus Stock speakers no less. lol! I shake my head everytime I see someone post shaking Death fear of the Dealer voiding their warranty if they install something on their car. I know that a Turbocharger on a car that did not come with it is a problem but the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act forbid warranty cancellations and states that the Dealer has to prove the change exactly caused the problem.

Most Lexus Audio problems are with the Amps stop playing sound (with the Factory speakers) and/or the Head Unit won't load to display. Ton of thread on all Lexus models about this. Your Lexus Mechanic buddy makes me laugh.

https://www.edmunds.com/auto-warrant...-warranty.html

Aftermarket parts or modifications:

This aspect of warranty coverage has a great deal of gray area. Although many dealers would have you think otherwise, simply having an aftermarket part or modifying your vehicle cannot void your warranty.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...your-warranty/

Many consumers mistakenly believe that they must use manufacturer-approved parts so as not to void their warranty. The manufacturers might want you to believe this but nothing is further from the truth. Aftermarket replacement parts will not void your new car’s warranty.

Warranties on consumer products are governed in the U.S. by a Federal statute known as the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. This Act spells out what warrantors can and cannot do in connection with the warranties they provide with their products. While the Act applies to everything from lawn mowers to dish washers, the place it has the most impact on the average American is with the warranty that comes with a new car.

And the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act specifically forbids manufacturers from forcing consumers to use name brand parts on their vehicles.

Old 10-27-21, 01:55 AM
Lead Lap

Received 779 Likes on 528 Posts

Unlike the GS, where non-ML and ML use the same size speakers, just different Impedance, the ES with ML have much larger speakers in many places:

Old 10-27-21, 06:50 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,320 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Unlike the GS, where non-ML and ML use the same size speakers, just different Impedance, the ES with ML have much larger speakers in many places:

Good find and info. I never could find the ES one. I modified my 2013 ES U/L with M/L years ago. A few post ago this is what I was trying to say about the speaker differences and ohm difference but one person doubted me. I remember seeing something that showed the ES having difference ohms also. I had actually measured the Factory ohms myself when I replaced them, but it's been so long that I forgot most of what was what.

Last edited by jgscott; 10-27-21 at 07:15 AM.
Old 10-27-21, 03:47 PM
Beemer46
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Just recoeved my four Infinity 4032 4 in speakers to do the dash. I got redwolf adapters but for toyota. Think I shouldda ordered them for GM though according to other posts