ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Time to replace car battery, any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-17, 04:44 PM
L3XUSFAN
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Time to replace car battery, any advice?

Hi,

My car battery is testing bad and it is time for replacement (TX heat kills these things). The battery lasted 4.6 years which is not bad.
I have found some options and hope someone can post any experience with any of these.

Toyota/Lexus Truestart ($110) 0-2 yr free replacement, 2.1-4yr 50% off new battery, 4.1-7yr 25% off new battery.
Costco Battery Interstate. ($83) 4 year free replacement warranty.
Bosch AGM battery ($150) 4 year free replacement warranty.

The Bosch/Costco one have higher CCA than the OEM Battery and all are made by the same parent company. I'm thinking of going with the Costco Interstate because its cheap with a good warranty. Is there any reason I should look into any other brand or go with the OEM one? Or am I just overthinking this ?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank You.
Old 11-11-17, 05:06 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,286 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by L3XUSFAN
Hi,

My car battery is testing bad and it is time for replacement (TX heat kills these things). The battery lasted 4.6 years which is not bad.
I have found some options and hope someone can post any experience with any of these.

Toyota/Lexus Truestart ($110) 0-2 yr free replacement, 2.1-4yr 50% off new battery, 4.1-7yr 25% off new battery.
Costco Battery Interstate. ($83) 4 year free replacement warranty.
Bosch AGM battery ($150) 4 year free replacement warranty.

The Bosch/Costco one have higher CCA than the OEM Battery and all are made by the same parent company. I'm thinking of going with the Costco Interstate because its cheap with a good warranty. Is there any reason I should look into any other brand or go with the OEM one? Or am I just overthinking this ?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank You.
Costco, Interstate battery @ $74.95 plus core deposit... No better deal.

Last edited by bc6152; 11-11-17 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-12-17, 12:53 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

The AGM battery will be better if you use your accessories a lot with the car off. It is similar to a lithium battery in that it can take frequent discharges and still come back.
Otherwise I would just stick with the Costco battery.
Old 11-13-17, 09:42 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

Costco. Easy to get replacements if there's any warranty issue and about half the price as the Bosch.

I have found the dealer Lexus battery no better than any other off the shelf battery, but the ones that come from the factory seem different (and better). At least that's been my experience.
Old 11-13-17, 04:14 PM
L3XUSFAN
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
Costco. Easy to get replacements if there's any warranty issue and about half the price as the Bosch.

I have found the dealer Lexus battery no better than any other off the shelf battery, but the ones that come from the factory seem different (and better). At least that's been my experience.
Yeah I really wanted the factory battery. If the car is built in Japan they use a Panasonic battery. These batteries can't be found here in the US and are way better. Toyota/Lexus forums all agree that the Panasonic battery is one level above the US oem one. Sadly pretty much all batteries here in the US are made by the same parent company, so i'm probably never gonna get the same life on the new battery as the old one.
Old 11-19-17, 04:46 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

I called AAA. They do it in your driveway for a reasonable price.
Old 11-19-17, 06:21 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by EJC
I called AAA. They do it in your driveway for a reasonable price.
Thats what I typically due with my cars. First time I used it was when battery died at a self serve gas station in the middle of winter. Next time just had them come to my house. So much easier than anything else and the warranty is good as well (at least here in Canada where it is called CAA in my province)
Old 11-19-17, 06:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

I'd choose the Costco battery. Very easy to do yourself.
Old 11-19-17, 06:50 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,514 Likes on 1,259 Posts

AC Delco batteries are pretty good and like you said, heat is the modern killer. Les Schwab has a good warranty and plenty of stores but their batteries are hit or miss longevity wise. JM2C

AGM (Acid Glass Mat) are good but not needed. Insulating the new battery from heat in TX could be a good thing.
Old 11-19-17, 06:57 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I'd choose the Costco battery. Very easy to do yourself.
Involves trip to Costco, buying battery, taking it home, removing old battery, replacing new one, then bringing old one back to Costo or recycling.

Hmm..calling AAA and sitting in my house seems a heck of a lot easier.

Sorry, but as a senior citizen, not really interested in DIY.
The following 2 users liked this post by Maikerusan:
EJC (11-20-17), Sharlyn20 (03-10-20)
Old 11-19-17, 07:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No need to apologize to me lol, I’ve done it myself and had people do it. No biggie either way.
Old 11-20-17, 06:42 AM
sderman
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Maikerusan
Involves trip to Costco, buying battery, taking it home, removing old battery, replacing new one, then bringing old one back to Costo or recycling.

Hmm..calling AAA and sitting in my house seems a heck of a lot easier.

Sorry, but as a senior citizen, not really interested in DIY.
Long ago I purchased a car battery without turning in the old one for core credit. Subsequently, whenever I bought a new battery I would bring in the "last" old battery to avoid the core charge - so I never had to make 2 trips. I also like changing the battery myself since I don't have to wait at a shop (or wait for AAA). And since I connect a trickle charger to the 2 removed wires before detaching from the battery, the car does not lose any electronic settings. Most shops would not do this. Overall, saves me a lot of time and I know the job has been done carefully. Also, by going to 0W-20 oil for increased fuel efficiency, the newer batteries are lighter (also saves fuel) and it is easier on the back than in the past.

Last edited by sderman; 11-20-17 at 06:44 AM. Reason: addition
Old 11-20-17, 08:48 AM
Tetguy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not all batteries from a manufacturer are better or worse than another brand. Group size quality varies. One manufacturer may show to be best in one group size but not as good in other group sizes. Also the battery quality will vary for some manufacturers depending on what part of the country you reside. I will attempt to attach 2 links from Consumer Reports dated Sept. 2017 to illustrate. I have a paid subscription so I don`t know if opening the links will work for you.
CR Tests Reveal the Best Car Batteries - Consumer Reports
Car battery Ratings
Old 11-20-17, 11:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You will also find that there are only 3 or 4 manufacturers of batteries, and that batteries sold under different brands are actually the same battery.
Old 11-25-17, 07:43 PM
vesnyder
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used the Lexus OEM and did not like it. It only lasted a couple years.

Quick Reply: Time to replace car battery, any advice?