ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Sending text messages

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-17, 05:24 AM
Eolafan
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sending text messages

I have a 2015 ES350 with the navigation system option. From "day one" I've been able to send text messages via voice commands over this system by responding to the prompts and asking to "send text" over the system. Suddenly yesterday when I pressed the "voice" button and ask to send a text the system answers by saying "pardon". I repowered my phone and still am getting the same odd response. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks
Old 11-30-17, 07:03 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

The "pardon" response is maddening when you know you enunciated clearly and at an acceptable level. I found myself getting angry at the woman who kept asking...
The next thing I do is increase my level of speech to the point of shouting at the NAV screen but she still asks "pardon".

I think that sometimes its the extraneous noises that confuses the poor woman and, for me, I have always gotten it to work after turning off the radio or closing the sun roof.
Could be something else with your vehicle but probably not...
Old 12-02-17, 05:41 AM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by bc6152
The "pardon" response is maddening when you know you enunciated clearly and at an acceptable level. I found myself getting angry at the woman who kept asking...
The next thing I do is increase my level of speech to the point of shouting at the NAV screen but she still asks "pardon".

I think that sometimes its the extraneous noises that confuses the poor woman and, for me, I have always gotten it to work after turning off the radio or closing the sun roof.
Could be something else with your vehicle but probably not...
The stupid woman in mine drives me nuts with the pardon game but understands my children perfectly. They laugh at me all the time for this. Honestly, if she keeps this up I will hand my car over to them and get myself a Tesla. We will see how many times it gets washed and vacuumed and waxed. They don't even take their own food wrappers out. The ES will regret it
Old 12-02-17, 07:46 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 871 Likes on 657 Posts

The "pardon" response confirms you are pressing the voice button.
Siri Eyes Free is enabled by pressing and holding the "off hook" button.
When you hear/see the screen change you say "text John Smith mobile"
Siri will respond with "what do you want to say to..." Go ahead and compose
and Siri will repeat your verbiage. If it is correct you say yes to her asking if
you want to send it. BTW you can respond to an incoming text by commanding
Siri to "respond text" She will ask what do you want to say to "John Smith"
This whole process works at the speed of Siri so you have to be patient.
Old 12-02-17, 07:51 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mcomer
and Siri will repeat your verbiage. If it is correct you say yes to her asking if
Isn't SIRI only on an Apple phone? If you have an Android, as about 70% of America does, you're stuck with "pardon"...
Old 12-02-17, 10:07 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 721 Likes on 528 Posts

Isn't SIRI only on an Apple phone? If you have an Android, as about 70% of America does, you're stuck with "pardon"...
It does seem odd that they only provided an interface for IOS devices and not Android. As an Apple user I hadn’t really thought about it. Frankly I just use the Enform voice activation rather than the Siri eyes free anyway.

Oh, and I’m not sure your information is accurate. According to statistica, IPhone users in the US were 43.5% in 2016 and not expected to decline during the current calendar year. https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ne-smartphone/
Old 12-03-17, 05:46 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ward6096
It does seem odd that they only provided an interface for IOS devices and not Android. As an Apple user I hadn’t really thought about it. Frankly I just use the Enform voice activation rather than the Siri eyes free anyway.

Oh, and I’m not sure your information is accurate. According to statistica, IPhone users in the US were 43.5% in 2016 and not expected to decline during the current calendar year. https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ne-smartphone/
I guess its a matter of who does the survey regarding percent of Android vs. Apple. Check out this link...

https://9to5mac.com/2016/08/18/andro...-market-share/

"Android and iOS now account for a combined 99 percent of the worldwide smartphone operating system market. Android holds 86.2 percent of the market, up from 82.2 percent in the year-ago quarter. Combine that with the 12.9 percent iOS holds, and that’s 99.1 percent of the entire market".

Last edited by bc6152; 12-03-17 at 06:17 AM.
Old 12-03-17, 06:41 AM
Eolafan
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
Thanks and bingo...I believe you've cracked the code as it were...things seem to be working now with your help...I guess I'll chalk this one up as a result of getting older and more forgetful. Thanks again!
Old 12-03-17, 07:13 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 721 Likes on 528 Posts

I guess its a matter of who does the survey regarding percent of Android vs. Apple. Check out this link...

https://9to5mac.com/2016/08/18/andro...-market-share/

"Android and iOS now account for a combined 99 percent of the worldwide smartphone operating system market. Android holds 86.2 percent of the market, up from 82.2 percent in the year-ago quarter. Combine that with the 12.9 percent iOS holds, and that’s 99.1 percent of the entire market".
Sorry, I didn’t mean to start a debate nor did I mean any offense. The source for your article was a Gartner study, which is the gold standard in IT circles. That said, I thought we were talking about US smartphone users since you stated “70% of America”. The study you reference is a worldwide study and IOS has a much lower usage rate in China and Asia/Pacific markets where the device is just too expensive.

Personally, I continue hoping Toyota/Lexus will reconsider and add Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. I would think the absence of these tools will haunt them and make them less competitive against other manufacturers. I don’t think Toyota/Lexus understands how consumers have become joined at the hip with their electronics. I see this very clearly as I support smartphones for my organization and my users cannot survive overnight without their phones but they can leave their car at the dealership overnight without going into withdrawals.
Old 12-03-17, 07:28 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

No debate, no offense taken my friend... The survey noted was indeed worldwide and not only the U.S.A. Thanks for the correction.

I'm just hoping that necessary updates with the 2019 MY 7th. gen ES are made including Android Auto and Apple Car Play. According to other members posts on here the voice command system has improved since the 2013 MY. Perhaps even more improvement is in the future. There are other subtle changes with the menu that are also needed IMO.