ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-17, 11:13 AM
Kijug
Intermediate

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

One more reply...I have Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus also and have enjoyed them.
Old 12-22-17, 11:53 AM
DanZ
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by heidihidin
any more opinions on michelin vs pirelli? i am in indiana
will be buying soon

thanks
For me, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ are better than Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus but the difference is small. Michelin is slightly more durable. Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 are similar to Pirelli. If you had runflat tires, then the situation changes or if you want runflats so that you can go 50 miles with loss of pressure, then my rating would change.
Old 12-22-17, 11:59 AM
heidihidin
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

so a set of michelin premier is about $650 out the door while p7 and conti are about $520
i am ok with spending an extra $130 if it's worth it
main priority is winter handling and overall handling/stopping power
Old 12-22-17, 02:56 PM
GES
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

so a set of michelin premier is about $650 out the door while p7 and conti are about $520
i am ok with spending an extra $130 if it's worth it
main priority is winter handling and overall handling/stopping power
Both Michelin premier A/S and Pirelli Cinturato p7 all season plus have high rating on tire rack. You can't go wrong with either one. If you look at the starting tread depth on the Michelin 8.5/32 and the Pirelli's 10/32. So the Michelin are more expensive and may not last as long as the pirelli's. Also Pirelli's may have less road noise. If those differences are not important to you then pick whatever one you like.
I have the Michelin and very satisfied with them, but don't think they will last long because of the starting tread depth.
Old 12-22-17, 03:16 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,018 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by GES
Both Michelin premier A/S and Pirelli Cinturato p7 all season plus have high rating on tire rack. You can't go wrong with either one. If you look at the starting tread depth on the Michelin 8.5/32 and the Pirelli's 10/32.
That has been my complaint about most of the Michelin premium quality passenger car tires. They typically start with 8.5/32-9/32 of tread, and some of their competitors' tires start with as much as 12/32. Since I replace my tires when they have no less than 4/32, that means that the tires of competitors can have over 40% more usable tread. And that is why many of the tires from the competitors have better wear ratings.

It should also be noted that the Michelin Premiere A/S are not rated as low rolling resistance tires. That should mean a (small) decrease in fuel economy compared to the Michelin Primacy tires that were original equipment on many of our ESs and that are rated as low rolling resistance tires.
Old 12-22-17, 03:27 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

is it ok to have mismatched tires on front and back on a fwd car or is this not recommended ? (the back tires look almost new while the fronts have 3/32
Old 12-22-17, 05:12 PM
GES
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lesz
That has been my complaint about most of the Michelin premium quality passenger car tires. They typically start with 8.5/32-9/32 of tread, and some of their competitors' tires start with as much as 12/32. Since I replace my tires when they have no less than 4/32, that means that the tires of competitors can have over 40% more usable tread. And that is why many of the tires from the competitors have better wear ratings.

It should also be noted that the Michelin Premiere A/S are not rated as low rolling resistance tires. That should mean a (small) decrease in fuel economy compared to the Michelin Primacy tires that were original equipment on many of our ESs and that are rated as low rolling resistance tires.
Agreed. I actually did notice drop in fuel economy when I switched to Michelin premier, roughly 2-3 mpg.
Old 12-22-17, 05:26 PM
GES
Pole Position

is it ok to have mismatched tires on front and back on a fwd car or is this not recommended ? (the back tires look almost new while the fronts have 3/32
This maybe an indication that the tires were not rotated as recommended. in a front wheel drive car the front tires will wear faster.The front tires definitely need to be changed. I think it is Ok to change just the front tires as a pair if the back tires are almost new like you said.
But I seriously doubt the back tire are like new if the front tire are worn this much. You may want to consider changing all four tires. The problem with changing only 2 tires is that in the future the older tires are going to need to be changed when the newer tires are still in good condition and you will face the same question do you change only 2 tires or 4

Last edited by GES; 12-22-17 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-22-17, 05:42 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

will it impact how the car handles if i leave the 2 hankook on the back and put 2 pirelli on the front?
Old 12-22-17, 05:46 PM
GES
Pole Position

will it impact how the car handles if i leave the 2 hankook on the back and put 2 pirelli on the front?
Assuming the wheel alignment is good, it shouldn't.
Old 12-23-17, 12:17 PM
DanZ
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The reason Michelin A/S tires have higher rolling resistance is because they are formulated with a compound that sticks to the dry and wet road. Stiction on wet road occurs as water is pushed out of the grooves. This stiction is maintained as the tires wear, unlike any other tire (Pireli does not have this compound and Michelin holds the patents on that idea). As you know, tire design is a trade off. One cannot have low rolling resistance and higher stiction (those are mutually exclusive). So, A/S trades off lower fuel economy and higher wear for better stiction to the road to enable better grip in all seasons. The reason A/S starts at 8.5/32 is because a larger thickness of grooves beyond that thickness results in brittleness due to the sticking compound mixed with rubber. Michelin engineers are clever in their design and have provided a tire for folks like me, who desire stiction in harsh all-weather conditions that provides safety while sacrificing fuel economy and higher wear. A lot is riding on your tires (like Michelin says) and so choose carefully. I will pick Michelin A/S every time since lower fuel economy and higher replacement frequency can be sacrificed in return for the safety, especially since better stiction is maintained as tire wears off, which is due to the stiction compound mixed with rubber throughout the groove thickness. Any tire manufacturer can put a sticking compound on the outside, but as tire wears, the effect is gone. Only Michelin maintains that stiction throughout its life. Having said that, if you drive in mild weather conditions, or switch from summer to winter tires, you may not benefit from the superior stiction of Michelin A/S.
Old 12-23-17, 03:47 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

so now that i bought the car i really need advise
the 2 front tires are new hankook s1 nobble, the 2 back tires are the turanzas with no tread
what should i do?
dad is not the best of winter drivers but i hate to trash 2 new tires
discount tire manager said to buy all 4 otherwise it will slip n slide but maybe its a sales pitch
it is hard for a girl to know these things
Old 12-23-17, 06:09 PM
GES
Pole Position

the 2 front tires are new hankook s1 nobble, the 2 back tires are the turanzas with no tread
what should i do?
discount tire manager said to buy all 4 otherwise it will slip n slide but maybe its a sales pitch
He actually maybe right. If you want the best performance in winter weather you need the grip of all 4 tires and if you have only 2 tires with good grip the car will slip and slide. The hankook tires don't have good rating for winter/snow driving.
Old 12-23-17, 06:18 PM
GES
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DanZ
The reason Michelin A/S tires have higher rolling resistance is because they are formulated with a compound that sticks to the dry and wet road. Stiction on wet road occurs as water is pushed out of the grooves. This stiction is maintained as the tires wear, unlike any other tire (Pireli does not have this compound and Michelin holds the patents on that idea). As you know, tire design is a trade off. One cannot have low rolling resistance and higher stiction (those are mutually exclusive). So, A/S trades off lower fuel economy and higher wear for better stiction to the road to enable better grip in all seasons. The reason A/S starts at 8.5/32 is because a larger thickness of grooves beyond that thickness results in brittleness due to the sticking compound mixed with rubber. Michelin engineers are clever in their design and have provided a tire for folks like me, who desire stiction in harsh all-weather conditions that provides safety while sacrificing fuel economy and higher wear. A lot is riding on your tires (like Michelin says) and so choose carefully. I will pick Michelin A/S every time since lower fuel economy and higher replacement frequency can be sacrificed in return for the safety, especially since better stiction is maintained as tire wears off, which is due to the stiction compound mixed with rubber throughout the groove thickness. Any tire manufacturer can put a sticking compound on the outside, but as tire wears, the effect is gone. Only Michelin maintains that stiction throughout its life. Having said that, if you drive in mild weather conditions, or switch from summer to winter tires, you may not benefit from the superior stiction of Michelin A/S.
I have to say the Michelin do have good grip on the road in wet and dry conditions much better than the Turanzas.
Old 12-23-17, 06:26 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,018 Likes on 696 Posts

what should i do?
Those Hankook tires are not a particularly well rated tire, and they are a fairly inexpensive tire. They are the kind of tire that a dealer will slap onto a used car just so that they can sell it with tires that have legal minimum tread depth. So, "wasting" two good tires isn't a big deal.

Plus, you will get the best prices on tires if you buy a set of 4. I don't know which manufacturers are currently offering rebates, but the major tire manufacturers typically offer rebates multiple times per year.

Thus, it would be my easy choice to replace all 4 tires with a matched set of new tires.

Quick Reply: Tires