Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

i am considering pirelli p7
i do not see any rebates they are 570 installed at discount tire
i may just do that thanks for the help
off topic the car came with just 1 key and i guess i need a second
dad's memory isn't as sharp at 67
having said that i see many threads here on the topic
what should i buy and where? we only have 1 lexus dealer around and they quoted 350
are there options?
do i need a key and a fob or just a fob?
also the battery says panasonic, not lexus but i think its original? is there a way to find out? i see no date on it anywhere
also assuming the brake pads are original ans still have some meat on them would they start squealing when its time? i do not want to pay for new rotors just due to stupid negligence
also as i have mentioned in a previous post, when at a stop and in gear there is a smaaall vibration in steering wheel just an annoyance but will this lead to a more serious issue? the car is still under warranty so i am wondering if i should take it to a dealer or will they dismiss it "by design?

THANK YOU
Old 12-25-17, 12:32 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,306 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by DanZ
The reason Michelin A/S tires have higher rolling resistance is because they are formulated with a compound that sticks to the dry and wet road. Stiction on wet road occurs as water is pushed out of the grooves. This stiction is maintained as the tires wear, unlike any other tire (Pireli does not have this compound and Michelin holds the patents on that idea). As you know, tire design is a trade off. One cannot have low rolling resistance and higher stiction (those are mutually exclusive). So, A/S trades off lower fuel economy and higher wear for better stiction to the road to enable better grip in all seasons. The reason A/S starts at 8.5/32 is because a larger thickness of grooves beyond that thickness results in brittleness due to the sticking compound mixed with rubber. Michelin engineers are clever in their design and have provided a tire for folks like me, who desire stiction in harsh all-weather conditions that provides safety while sacrificing fuel economy and higher wear. A lot is riding on your tires (like Michelin says) and so choose carefully. I will pick Michelin A/S every time since lower fuel economy and higher replacement frequency can be sacrificed in return for the safety, especially since better stiction is maintained as tire wears off, which is due to the stiction compound mixed with rubber throughout the groove thickness. Any tire manufacturer can put a sticking compound on the outside, but as tire wears, the effect is gone. Only Michelin maintains that stiction throughout its life. Having said that, if you drive in mild weather conditions, or switch from summer to winter tires, you may not benefit from the superior stiction of Michelin A/S.
Great explanation Dan. Didn't know that "stiction" was a word... Thanks...
Old 12-25-17, 04:04 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

so roughly how many miles do the michelin a/s last you?
Old 12-25-17, 10:02 PM
DanZ
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Miles are dependent on many factors. But mine (her BMW actually) generally last between 30k to 35k miles and she is not an aggressive driver. It is too early to tell on my ES since they were just put (I am also a mild driver). We take these cars everywhere, including in snow and desert.
Old 12-26-17, 11:56 PM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 167 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by GES
I have to say the Michelin do have good grip on the road in wet and dry conditions much better than the Turanzas.
Racing slicks are better than Turanza's. LOL..

Roland
Old 12-27-17, 05:38 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

i got the pirellis only 2 days but in snow/ice and 0 degrees F and so far doing ok
Old 12-27-17, 08:16 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

also a word of caution if you can call it that
for all of you Costco lovers that purchase your tires there i would ecommend thinking twice before next time you do this
we have been Costco members since 1996 and have bought 8 sets of tires there to a total cost of about $5000
the last 2 times on our camry and highlander we started having premature wear issues (1 was a set of bidgestones and 1 was a set of michelins) and both sets suddenly were down to 2/32 tread in about 3 years 3500 miles
we went to costco with the michelins which are rated a 70000 mile tires and asled for help
we were told by 2 different cotco stores that the premature wear is due to suspension problems
we took the vehicle to toyota and got it in writing that the vehicle's suspension, alignment , etc checks out 100% and went back to costco
they refused to do anything including any kind of a prorated coverage
we called michelin for assistance and were told that tires sold by costco only have warranty from costco due to being exclusive grade B model only sold by and made for Costco with specific model designations to reflect this (we have this in writing from michelin americas)
so no more tires from costco for us ever

just a rant thanks for listening
Old 12-28-17, 06:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I would believe that...
Old 12-28-17, 07:02 AM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

So if Costco sells junk tires where is one to go? I always thought Costco was a bit expensive but sold better quality stuff than, say Sams Club.
Old 12-28-17, 07:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by zes
So if Costco sells junk tires where is one to go? I always thought Costco was a bit expensive but sold better quality stuff than, say Sams Club.
I would go to a real tire retailer, or order from TireRack.
Old 12-28-17, 07:25 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by zes
So if Costco sells junk tires where is one to go?
I've become a fan of Discount Tire. They had the lowest prices I could find for my P7+'s. If they didn't, they would have price matched. Also, even if you didn't purchase your tires from them, they will rotate for free.
Old 12-28-17, 03:08 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

discount tire service level at least here in Indiana is bar none
they were my 1st choice but they have discontinued the P7 and since i was determined to get this tire, i went to tire barn
never dealt with them before
not very impressed with the initial install appointment service wise
Old 12-28-17, 04:34 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by heidihidin
discount tire service level at least here in Indiana is bar none
they were my 1st choice but they have discontinued the P7
They have not discontinued the P7+. Maybe the P7.
Old 12-28-17, 06:17 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

that is what i was told they said the only P7 they now have is the Strada but they are about $160/ea
Old 12-28-17, 06:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Discount Tire has stopped selling the P7 Plus, they have the Strada which is their own model. You can get the P7 Plus elsewhere though

Quick Reply: Tires