ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Battery choice

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-17, 12:09 PM
DanZ
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Roland: I am not familiar with Deka batteries. So, if it were me, I would go with Interstate. Happy new year to all members.
The following users liked this post:
Poppa (12-31-17)
Old 12-31-17, 01:01 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

My thought is, what if you need that battery replaced quickly? If the closest dealer is 45 min away and they don't stock them, how long will you be without your car waiting on a replacement.
I would find a good dealer network that is close to you should you need the warranty. (Why I suggested Sam's Club or Walmart)
Poppa (12-31-17)
Old 12-31-17, 01:58 PM
sderman
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
DanZ / Ratchey... thank you guys for the info.. I was really close to buying the Boschc AGM and then I read a few articles that talked about what you referenced.. the ability for the car's charging system to recharge an agm correctly. I have no idea how to program the ecu and to be honest, don't want to know. The ONLY reason I was thinking of the bosch agm was because the price was almost identical to a normal wet cell battery. and now, having time to re-think things, I don't run accessories on my car with the engine off so I really think an agm is probably overkill... plus my car has been running great on the wet cell panasonic that came in the car 4 1/2 years ago..... so now here's a question for you.. Now that I am sure I'm going to go with a conventional battery I have narrowed my choices to two. ( yes I know earlier I had said only 1 - but can't an old man change his mind ) One is the interstate mtp-24F. I have one in my 4 runner and it's been great. 800 CCa's, 1000 CA's. free replacement for the first 30 months, prorated after that. My second choice is an east penn battery.. Deka 724fmf. This battery has a little less juice: 725 CCA's and 890 CA's.. 2 year replacement. Even though the amps are down a little from the Interstate, it's still alot more than the oem battery has.. I discovered Deka's a few years back when I was looking for a good starting battery for my boat. Actually have a friend who used to work at East Penn and he told me that Deka's are some of the best made batterys in the country. Now I don't know anything about battery construction but he was talking about the thickness of the plates etc. all that went over my head.. I've got a Deka dealer about 45 minutes from here - he doesn't stock that particular model but he's going to look into getting one and the price.. Providing it's not much more than the interstate, which way would you go? oh, and again thank both of you gentleman for the info in your previous posts.

Roland
There is always someone around to tell you that their battery is their favorite. You have been happy with it so get the Interstate MTP-24F and move on. It has similar construction but more more power than the OEM so even as it ages it will still be more powerful than most other batteries in that size category. And driving 1.5 hours RT versus shopping locally for the Interstate is costing you $50-100 in various car costs (depreciation, etc.) not to mention the value of your time.
Poppa (12-31-17)
Old 12-31-17, 09:22 PM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by sderman
There is always someone around to tell you that their battery is their favorite. You have been happy with it so get the Interstate MTP-24F and move on. It has similar construction but more more power than the OEM so even as it ages it will still be more powerful than most other batteries in that size category. And driving 1.5 hours RT versus shopping locally for the Interstate is costing you $50-100 in various car costs (depreciation, etc.) not to mention the value of your time.
sderman / ratchey / DanZ.. you make some very good point, and ones that I have considered.. Whether I'm out on the road or hear at home, if I have a battery issue I'm sure it would be a lot easier to find an interstate battery dealer as opposed to Deka.. Basically I'm just waiting to see what kind of price the Deka come's in at... but my gut feeling ( and believe me, it's a sizeable gut ) is I'll probably go with the interstate.. Not to mention if I buy the interstate I'll be buying it from a friend of mine who runs a tire shop.. call it a good will purchase. Makes him happy and I get really good service there. Thank you for your input.

Roland

Last edited by Poppa; 12-31-17 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-22-18, 09:44 PM
Poppa
Instructor

Hey Guys...thanks for your replys.... I him-hawed on this for the past several weeks without doing anything about it - had family stuff get in the way but then last friday I had the oem panasonic battery tested in my ES and it tested bad.. It measured 367 cranking amps and the test ticket said since the battery is no longer meeting minimum requirement and is likely to fail soon... I stopped at the dealership and they told me a new battery was $300.00 No thanks..I was really leaning toward an East Penn battery ( Deka ) but got concerned that if I were out of town and had a warranty issue it might be difficult to find a deka dealer near by.. so I went with the Interstate MTP-24f. 800 Cold cranking amps and 1000 Cranking amps... way more than the oem battery... And I got it at a very reasonable price.. Called around and prices ranged from 135 to 160 plus tax... last call was to an Interstate battery distributor.. Got it for an out the door price of $121.60 installed. One of things I really liked is that I got a "NEW' new battery, not one that had been sitting on the shelf for 6 months.. The date stamped on the case for this battery was January of 2018.. can't get much newer than that... I've got this same battery in my 4 runner also and no issues at all in 3 years.. so I should be fine since I usually swap them out every 4 years just to be safe.

Roland
Old 01-24-18, 03:06 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Glad things worked out, and at a good price. I generally trade at a Firestone store close by, and just get batteries there. Recently got new Interstate MP-78 for my pickup, I think it was $125 with coupon. I'm like you, and like Interstate for warranty access as well.

I do use the Deka batteries for my boat and have had good success. There is an East Penn distributor north of town so I just take old core and swap out for a good price.
Poppa (01-25-18)
Old 01-25-18, 12:17 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Originally Posted by wasjr
Glad things worked out, and at a good price. I generally trade at a Firestone store close by, and just get batteries there. Recently got new Interstate MP-78 for my pickup, I think it was $125 with coupon. I'm like you, and like Interstate for warranty access as well.

I do use the Deka batteries for my boat and have had good success. There is an East Penn distributor north of town so I just take old core and swap out for a good price.
Wasjr... I'm like you, I also run a deka battery in my boat.. model 27m6 with 840 CCA and 1050 MCA.... It's not even a year old and right now since it's winter it's sitting on a shelf in my garage hooked up to a battery tender.... as far as the auto battery, both the deka and the interstate were close in price ( probably not more than 10 bucks or so difference ).. but in the end I was concerned about what would happen if the battery failed and I was out of town. Pretty sure it will be a lot easier to find an Interstate dealer as opposed to a Deka / east penn.. You mentioned Firestone, they actually have the interstate megatrons on sale for $119.00 down from about $140 ( not including tax ). I got mine for 110.00 plus tax came out to 121 bucks and change.. funny when I called them to make an appointment, the lady on the phone quoted me 151.00 plus tax... When I told her I had talked to xxxxxx the day before and he quoted me 110.00, she said "oh, he must have given you the dealer rate".. Anyway it's all done and hopefully I'll get 4 full years ( that's when I normally swap em out )..

Poppa